Oct 05, 2018, 10:17 AM
So many planes, So little time
that looks like the band used to close the gap around the fan housing, after edf install.
I took a look with my S3D program, doesn't look like mine would print any better.
Printing Canopy now, waiting on Silver filament
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2018, 10:35 AM
SJ
SJ
Ok, it just completed the section.

The whole inner tube is only printed to support the failed bit of my print. It is removed and not used. The gap is there so it does not stick to the "support" tube..... But the gap seems excessive, as it did not support the last part.....

I dont know what to do now.
I will probably cut out the failed part, and print it by itself, and glue in the new part.
Oct 05, 2018, 01:14 PM
Name: edf mount ring.JPG
Views: 124
Size: 44.5 KB
Description:
OK found edf mount ring in accessory files
I think the fan housing fits inside the thrust tube in that area.
Good luck with the rest of your prints!
Oct 05, 2018, 02:15 PM
SJ
SJ
Thanks.

I cut out the bad bits, and it will still function as it should.... Just not pretty.

Installed a midifan backwards just to check the fit.
Oct 05, 2018, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsedude
Yes, in the video it looks good, but I doubt that this is the Turnigy+CS setup.
I didn't realize it, but yes, it's a Schuebeler EDF unit, they also show it in the manual.

Well...I guess that the Schuebeler + HET outperforms the TGY/CS unit.

Personally I would like to stay at 6S.
I think the Changesun EDF isn't bad, but which motor would suit to reach about 3,5kg thrust?
BTW. If I were to guess I'd say the first one in the video is flying with the Changesun fan as it has audible vibration.
Oct 05, 2018, 04:47 PM
Purdue Engineering
The Changesun fan is actually quite good when properly balanced. I've got one in my 3DLabPrint Mig-15 using the cheapo stock 1600kV outrunner and I rarely need much more than half throttle. Though the Mig is a fair bit lighter than the Sabre and probably would benefit from a larger motor. There's a lengthy thread here with some test data which might help: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-12-blade-90mm.

I don't have any flight videos for comparison, but here's what my Changesun fans sound like in the platform they lived in before I salvaged one for the Mig.
R/C F-35B Hover Testing (0 min 53 sec)

I used this method for balancing: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-a-cell-phone
Oct 08, 2018, 03:06 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
Anyone printed section 4 of the fuselage ?

it seems to me that the inner duct is not connected and prints in mid air....and my print fails ?
On simplify3d you can separate the objects on a STL

Mesh > Separate connected surfaces

Then delete the parts that are not printing well and save as stl

File > Export Models > Binary STL

Then do the opposite and delete everything but the problematic parts and save again and then

Import both and print.

You could even try to reduce that gap by manually adjusting both files positions but itīs easier to just print them separately and glue later.
Oct 08, 2018, 09:07 AM
SJ
SJ
Yes, had i known the issue, then I would have done that.... But you never know until you print it.

Anyway, the designer has no issue, and prints almost fine in the prusa printer. But my delta does not seem to like printing in mid air.

Looking forward to seeing other peoples experiances.

But its not the end of the world. Some duct tape will conplete the seal.

F-86 printing on little monster 50mm/s (1 min 4 sec)
Last edited by SJ; Oct 08, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
Oct 08, 2018, 10:03 AM
I have some problem when the print speed slows at the top of a part, say the fuel tank tip or fuse sec. #1.
Nozzle Heat builds up/plastic layers get to hot, and the print sags somewhat.
what is best way to work this issue, G code change or just manual adjustments?
Oct 08, 2018, 10:11 AM
SJ
SJ
if you are using s3d, then use the "variable settings wizard" , and make a setpioint 10-20mm before the top of the tip tank, and change the tempareature and speed in the new process, so it prints the top at another setting.
Oct 08, 2018, 10:34 AM
Thank you!
I have S3D and just downloaded the newer version. (4.0.1)
I'll try the wizard out, perhaps just turning on Nozzle fan at that point, will do.
anyway, it would be nice to just let machine print without having to watch over it.
Oct 08, 2018, 12:28 PM
Interesting Video thanx...
How many hours do you Guess? will it require to print the full model ?
Oct 08, 2018, 01:10 PM
SJ
SJ
It will probably take about 2 weeks to print....+ a few days to be realistic :-)

This is quite a large plane....and 3d printing takes for ever :-)

Each fuselage section takes about 6-8 hours to print.
Last edited by SJ; Oct 08, 2018 at 01:15 PM.
Oct 08, 2018, 06:58 PM
What slicer are you using? When I slice fuselage section 2 on Cura 3.5.0 it gives me an estimate of almost 20 hours print time... Slicing fuselage section 3 gives me an estimate of 24 hours print time. If I used Simplify3D would the print times be faster since the prints are designed around that slicer?
Oct 08, 2018, 07:38 PM
MorganTech
If you are asking about the print times for Fuse02 & 3 on the F-86, In Simplify3d v 4.01, I'm showing 7:40 for the Fuse02 and 6:30 for Fuse03

Here is the completed fuse, I used the supplied G-Codes to print these, everything printed without a problem. I have tweaked my printer settings to match the extrusion and temps of the supplied codes, sure makes it easier than processing everything.

Quick Reply