This thread is privately moderated by GottaZoom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 05, 2018, 09:31 PM
early retired & loving it
Thanks for the information. I'll try to flash the MPM based on your instructions. Feel free to remove this at any time.

I'm familiar with many transmitters, but NOT taranis or OPEN-TX firmware or Companion. The idea of the T12's ability to use a MultiProtocolModule sounded enticing. I'm in WAY over my experience so HELP?

I installed Companion TX2.2 but since OPEN-TX is not supported there is no simulator for the T-12 and probably won't be. Correct? So I'm not sure what to expect.

A. When I connect the T12 to my windows 10 computer it installs an STM32 bootloader device but the t12 does not power-up nor can it while the mini-usb is plugged into the t12.
B. When I DO turn on the t12 THEN plug in the mini-usb I see a screen selection for either Joystick or USB storage. So I select USB-storage.
I assume that B is the correct way to use companion?

When I then fire up Companion and then select USB storage I see 2 drives USB and Taranis.
Taranis is the T12 and USB is the SD card.
Under settings I create a profile called Myt12, I choose Taranis X7.
Under SD structure path I select the USB SD and then a local backup.
Next I READ model and settings from radio and get my model list.
It's called document1.otx
What's next? I tried to BACKUP radio to \file \but it's asking me WHERE?
If I SET LOCAL why is it asking me where?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2018, 10:14 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnrusso
Thanks for the information. I'll try to flash the MPM based on your instructions. Feel free to remove this at any time.
Unless it's broken or you have a need that it will solve, I'd not tackle the MPM upgrade and spend the time on OTX basics.

Quote:
I'm familiar with many transmitters, but NOT taranis or OPEN-TX firmware or Companion. The idea of the T12's ability to use a MultiProtocolModule sounded enticing. I'm in WAY over my experience so HELP?
My own feeling is to start by skipping over everything you don't absolutely need to first set up and fly a model line of sight - the simpler, the better.

Going through the OTX university undergraduate courses/lessons is a great way to learn those basics. Once you understand how Inputs/Mixers/Outputs work together, then you can start more details about each of those and all the fancy bells and whistles.

Take that one simple model and use it to do one thing to make it better, then another, and so on. People get frustrated by not looking and doing the small things they need to move forward and have small successes that build up over each step.

Some might say it seems counter-intuitive to build a block wall by digging a trench - but it needs a foundation and framework before the bottom blocks go on ... so don't start with trying to put the final cap row on the wall ... start with the basics.

www.rcdiy.ca is a great resource to drill down on one item at a time - in particular it's laid out if pretty much the same order as the radio and model menus so you don't have to follow it step by step - use it like an index to your radio.

Quote:
I installed Companion TX2.2 but since OPEN-TX is not supported there is no simulator for the T-12 and probably won't be. Correct? So I'm not sure what to expect.
With my X7 I started without using Companion because that seemed like more extra stuff to worry about when it wasn't needed.

If Companion is more important than using the radio, you probably should be spending time in the OTX 2.2.2 thread. And then ask and solve one question at a time.

Honestly, I'm still learning to use Companion but since I've learned a lot on the radio the stuff I'm learning now is about how to use the PC software more than anything I need to fly or use the radio.

But, since the T12 is almost exactly an X7 with a module and only a couple other differences (switches and pot names/types), [for now,] Companion seems to work well enough to simulate the effects of radio and model setup.
Oct 05, 2018, 11:24 PM
early retired & loving it
Thanks again,
I have been enlightened by watching videos from R Scott Page on YouTube.
His 2nd video, although about OPEN-TX 2.0 explained why my old thinking about how OPEN-TX works, made things like dual rates and expo on a switch just about as easy as it is for me with my Spektrum, which is very easy.

I've been successful setting up TACTIC, SPEKTRUM, Bayang, and Hubsan on the MPM and T12 but not Hitec. I thought it might be because of the firmware in the MPM. Now I see it may be because Devo might work.

Working from the radio is FAIRLY easy especially after seeing how models can be tested out on the simulator with companion.

I will want to learn to copy test models from companion back to the radio. Now I will work on that next.

The T-12, Open TX programming, companion, and the MPM all require new understanding.
Oct 05, 2018, 11:40 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
...I will want to learn to copy test models from companion back to the radio. Now I will work on that next ...
For me, this is about as easy as it gets ... first two options under Read/Write menu options in Companion.

What I do is start the radio in bootloader mode (power on while holding lower trims both towards center), connect USB cable to top of TX and PC so that drives from radio are available, open Companion (with T12 profile set).

Then Read in the models, copy and edit a model, copy models back to radio (with or without the original model).
Oct 29, 2018, 06:52 PM
Hi GottaZoom,
Can you share how you got Betaflight Lua Scripts working? They are working fine on my X9D and a R-XSR but doing the same thing on T12 just results in blank values on the Script page. Also, oddly luac doesn't run but lua does. I'm using 7/31/2018 version of the firmware and bf-tx-lua1.0.2.
Thanks!
Oct 29, 2018, 09:00 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sympster
Hi GottaZoom,
Can you share how you got Betaflight Lua Scripts working? ...
I haven't used them. I've got a couple cleanflight boards for builds I could maybe test with, if the app works with that? Somewhere to download?

Luac won't work unless the firmware build had that option checked when Jumper built their branch. Or, unless you build/compile your own firmware file from their github branch on your PC.
Oct 29, 2018, 10:23 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Github shows betaflight scripts (or apps) and says it should work with the X7 if you have the right version. Since the T12 key input has changes (however slight), something that works on the X7 may not work on the T12 (the scrolling acceleration feature as one example). First I'd check to make sure you're using a version that supports the X7, after that, it may take a request on github - and whether that works will depend on if a dev has access to a T12 (or the code changes Jumper used).

My long-term to do list includes seeing if we can isolate the Jumer changes so that we can creat a branch on OTX to compile our own updates. As I'm not a coder, it may be very long-term. But anybody who gets familiar with those kinds of changes would probably have a good chance to fix the lua.

I don't know if Mike B. has Basic scripts for the same functionality in ERSky, but perhaps that is another option?
Oct 31, 2018, 04:46 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have to believe the stock T12 firmware has the Lua option, so it's just a matter of finding the script that it works with.
Nov 05, 2018, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
Problems and solutions
P=T12 does not have an S.Port on the bottom like a Taranis X7 for flashing receivers, is there an alternative?
S=OTX provides an alternative to use the JR Bay pins. S6R RX firmware updated with the T12 on 1 Oct 2018.
So, just want to check, flashing say, a XM+ receiver to get rssi on ch16 is possible on this radio, using the same pins as like doing it on the x9d+?
Nov 05, 2018, 01:18 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by moophus
So, just want to check, flashing say, a XM+ receiver to get rssi on ch16 is possible on this radio, using the same pins as like doing it on the x9d+?
Can't tell you anything about the XM stuff, but normal firmware flashing worked for me as per the link you quoted.
Nov 07, 2018, 05:20 PM
I am writing only to say thanks to GottaZoom for his great T12 support. After ten years using Devo Tx's, 7E & 6s whith Blade DSM helis and quads I had decided to bought one. In my opinion, it is the best small form factor TX in the market.
Thanks again, good job.
Nov 07, 2018, 06:18 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sympster
Thanks for your reply. I have to believe the stock T12 firmware has the Lua option, so it's just a matter of finding the script that it works with.
While editing and updating my JP4in1 I noticed this section of the _config.h file:

"//SPORT_POLLING is an implementation of the same polling routine as XJT module for sport telemetry bidirectional communication.
//This is useful for passing sport control frames from TX to RX(ex: changing Betaflight PID or VTX channels on the fly using LUA scripts with OpentX).
//Using this feature requires to uncomment INVERT_TELEMETRY as this TX output on telemetry pin only inverted signal.
//!!!! This is a work in progress!!! Do not enable unless you want to test and report
//#define SPORT_POLLING"

Can't claim to have used, or even fully understand, it .... but it's something else to consider. The DIY thread may prove to be a better place to see if it helps with your need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quique65
I am writing only to say thanks to GottaZoom for his great T12 support. After ten years using Devo Tx's, 7E & 6s whith Blade DSM helis and quads I had decided to bought one. In my opinion, it is the best small form factor TX in the market.
Thanks again, good job.
Appreciate your comments! If you can think of anything else to add my blog that could help, just let me know and we can create an even better resource. I've learned so much doing the blog that everything I add ends up helping me to better understand and use my T12!

I've also found it a handy piece of gear. I've mentioned a few times how much I wish the T12 could be improved with an internal MPM and the few OTX tweaks needed to make that work and possibly help move the T12 toward a supported TX - that would leave the bay available for other modules and make it a better switchblade TX. The other thing that could be related to a new version of the TX is perhaps create a different internal battery box to put more electrons inside the TX - 2S2P 18650s or a large 2S would be great.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Nov 07, 2018 at 06:31 PM.
Nov 09, 2018, 08:32 AM
HI, Can you please explain how you set up T12 profile in Companion? Mine just defaults to Taranis x9D. I have changed it to X7 on a second profile, but that has different switches. thanks Dave.
Nov 09, 2018, 08:52 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzygs1000
HI, Can you please explain how you set up T12 profile in Companion? Mine just defaults to Taranis x9D. I have changed it to X7 on a second profile, but that has different switches. thanks Dave.
I already had an X7 so I set up another profile and named it T12 and turned off updates because those will not work.

AFAIK, there was no T12 specific Companion (not a supported radio) and last I looked the Jumper website directs us to the OTX website for everything but base firmware.

Quick Reply