Sep 26, 2018, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum Smart Technology Batteries and Chargers

Wow, just caught this in my YouTube feed. As a huge nerd, I have to say this has me realllly interested.

Having just consolidated my radio gear to all Spektrum, this looks like a consistent way to get the whole platform together. Ironically, I am just now starting to look at refreshing my lineup of batteries and had been considering Hitec + Admiral.

I would love to give it a thorough rundown and see how it lives up to the simplification idea! This is the kind of smarts I have wanted in my batteries since I got into RC. I would love to see this integrate with my iX12 for charger control and maybe even data log transfer.

Spektrum™ Smart Technology - Redefining Connectivity and Simplicity in RC (2 min 48 sec)
Last edited by CavRecon; Sep 26, 2018 at 10:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2018, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
LOL, given the responsiveness of Horizon's website, I would say this has generated some interest!!!!
Sep 26, 2018, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
A pretty solid lineup of batteries offered to launch the line.

Part No V mAh C Wt/g Price
SPMX13003S30 3S/11.1V 1300 30C 115 $28.99
SPMX22003S30 3S/11.1V 2200 30C 180 $33.99
SPMX32003S30 3S/11.1V 3200 30C 249 $54.99
SPMX22004S30 4S/14.8V 2200 30C 230 $44.99
SPMX32006S30 6S/22.2V 3200 30C 484 $89.99
SPMX50006S30 6S/22.2V 5000 30C 655 $124.99
SPMX70006S30 6S/22.2V 7000 30C 890 $174.99

This would serve the majority of my aircraft, except maybe the upcoming Viper purchase, where I was looking for 4000 mAh. Bet it's coming though.

The prices are notably higher than comparable offerings. But , given the additional capability/technology and an expected Spektrum premium, not out of line. Especially considering the Horizon support that backs them.
Last edited by CavRecon; Sep 26, 2018 at 11:35 AM.
Sep 26, 2018, 10:30 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Downside is low-performance, high cost batteries.

They've announced 30C batteries at double the cost of high-quality, high-C packs from other manufacturers.

Only real way I could see getting on board is if they roll out telemetry-integrated ESC's which support the battery connector as well. Until then the price/performance just isn't there.
Sep 26, 2018, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Downside is low-performance, high cost batteries.

They've announced 30C batteries at double the cost of high-quality, high-C packs from other manufacturers.

Only real way I could see getting on board is if they roll out telemetry-integrated ESC's which support the battery connector as well. Until then the price/performance just isn't there.
I can see your point. I'm all fixed-wing, so don't have super-high C requirements. If the technology helps me do a better job of just making them last (proper charging, data collection, the "auto-storage" feature), I'd be okay with it.

As for quality, I'm really hopeful that these are a different level than the E-Flite packs. I've had disappointing results with those, but keeping my mind open.
Sep 26, 2018, 10:39 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavRecon
I can see your point. I'm all fixed-wing, so don't have super-high C requirements. If the technology helps me do a better job of just making them last (proper charging, data collection, the "auto-storage" feature), I'd be okay with it.

As for quality, I'm really hopeful that these are a different level than the E-Flite packs. I've had disappointing results with those, but keeping my mind open.
I'm fixed wing as well, but run high-C requirements in two areas.

1. electric-launch gliders. While they only pull 30-40A, it's with tiny batteries (anywhere from 850-1300mAh) leading to a need for real-world 30C-40C performance (and I've yet to see a C rating over 15 that actually is delivered. 30C rating =15-20C actual performance).

2. EDF's. These things are brutes on current capacity.

I'm a glider guy in general, and have been known to strap EDF's to slope soarers (tons of fun).

I don't buy E-Flite packs. They're budget packs at mid-level cost.
Sep 26, 2018, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
Ah! I hadn't thought about those use cases. Thanks for the perspective!
Sep 26, 2018, 11:00 AM
It's A Great Time To Be Flying
I'm never impressed by proprietary products. If you make something new it should work across the board. I use XT60 connectors only. Anyway, I have never had a problem setting the charger to the requirements of the battery being charged.
Sep 26, 2018, 11:22 AM
Yeah the 30C limit would be an issue for me on my aerobatic sport planes, not on the Pattern stuff as I tend to run 25C on those for weight. They also didn't say anything about weight on these puppies. Typically a 30C isn't going to be very heavy comparatively speaking, but there's a lot of difference between manufacturers.
Sep 26, 2018, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
The data was my own collection from the individual battery specs on the website.

Good thought regarding weight. I went back and updated the table with that.
Sep 26, 2018, 12:00 PM
Registered Abuser
I wonder if iSDT makes the chargers? The UI looks amazingly familiar to me
Sep 26, 2018, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
I wonder if iSDT makes the chargers? The UI looks amazingly familiar to me
Hmmm. I wonder.
Sep 26, 2018, 12:04 PM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavRecon
Hmmm. I wonder.
Lol, pretty good sign they do!

Idk about the new batteries, but my iSDT chargers have been awesome
Sep 26, 2018, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
I'm kicking myself because I JUST got a new Hitec X2 Black Edition from HH and debated the isdt offerings.

To rub salt in the wound, MotionRC just shipped 4 new Admirals.
Sep 26, 2018, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEFlyer
I'm never impressed by proprietary products. If you make something new it should work across the board. I use XT60 connectors only. Anyway, I have never had a problem setting the charger to the requirements of the battery being charged.
They do work across the board. You can charge the smart batteries with traditional chargers, and you can charge traditional batteries with the smart charger. Nothing stopping you from using a IC3 to XT60 adapter for your models either.
The "smart" portion is only meant to help, not limit. I will particularly enjoy not having to change charge settings every time I plug in a different battery, and will definitely enjoy the auto discharge for storage functionality. Too often I find myself being too lazy to discharge my batteries to storage voltage especially when I'm not sure if I'll be using them again soon or not.

Quick Reply