Nov 15, 2018, 06:13 AM
Hi RCverrt
I'm tired of trying to set up Turnigy. I have a Futaba 8FG that I use in heli but I did not want to use it with this project that started giving error with the converter since if there is any problem in the flight my receiver of 150 usd goes away.
With that, I gave up the YMFC project and bought a Naza v2 and a Ardupilot
If you analyze well will verify that the YMFC project is a near copy of Ardupilot but with Ardupilot we can configure a series of components and do telemetry and Ground Station, besides the possibility of setting Go to Home and Follow Me. I will use Naza to fly for fun, and the Ardupilot as a controller for development because that's what I like.
Sorry but I do not think I'll be able to contribute any more information, but I will continue to follow your success.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2018, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
No worries jbsorocaba. I have tried Ardupilot in the past and found its code to difficult for me to modify easily. I'm finding this project much easier to modify for my needs so will stay with it for now. All code is in place now so I'm at the tuning stage. I wish you the best with your projects. The door is always open here so fell free to check in from time to time.

As for the expensive gear flying away, I plan to connect a retract to the battery plug so that it can disconnect it in an emergency. I have an inexpensive, 40$ HK tx that will be used exclusively for operating the retract if the GPS decides to do an all to familiar fly away. Basically anything with GPS like to fly-away eventually.
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 15, 2018 at 06:46 PM.
Nov 16, 2018, 05:08 AM
I read a lot about ardupilot and found it to be a very versatile controller and open to all kinds of configuration. YMFC is a closed project, where you have to use everything that was used in it, otherwise it does not work. It started with the converter that did not work with the Turnigy receiver. Also, you do not have forum support to discuss the problems. In the case of Ardupilot you have a huge page of information and a large series of forums that discuss this subject.
Anyway, all the components that would be used in YMFC can be used in Ardupilot and the only thing to acquire is the controller module.
I thought it will give me more "excitement" and fun by the possibility of changes and inclusion of new features.
Nov 16, 2018, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
Got a 3 and 2 position switch set up on my Turnigy 9X.

Mix6 and Mix 7 are for the 3 position switch that moves channel_6. Gear switch is for channel_5.

Mix6 graph center position needs to be at 100%. Mix7 graph center position needs to be at 0.00%. The other values on those graphs don't matter.
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 16, 2018 at 10:48 PM.
Nov 17, 2018, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
I just did the gear switch set up today but I did the 3 position switch set up a few years ago. Looks like that 3 position switch was originally located on the front right side of my TX where I now have the hole covered with electrical tape. Just FYI for anyone doing the TX programming.
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 17, 2018 at 01:31 AM.
Nov 17, 2018, 05:52 AM
Have you tested.... is working ?
Nov 18, 2018, 06:13 AM
Thread OP
I checked it in the transmitters "Display" setting. Looks good but haven't tested with YMFC-32 yet. I am still waiting for my barometer to arrive. Tracking sounds like it is close to me.

Worst case we might have to reverse the gear or flap channel. Super worst case, we might have to change those code channel values slightly to get in range but I doubt that. Both of those cases are an easy fix so should be no real issue.

Will report back when and if my barometer ever arrives.
Nov 18, 2018, 06:52 AM
joop launched yesterday a new version of YMFC with back to home, fail safe and auto land, but without explanation on how to make this, and how to test the news features. Only a overlay on the flight code and on telemetry. Check there.
Nov 18, 2018, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the head up jbsorocaba. I had not seen that yet. Exciting new feature to play with. Sounds like I might need some more barometers.
Nov 19, 2018, 10:52 AM
Joop has placed now a explanation of Fail safe, back to home and auto land below the new code: http://www.brokking.net/ymfc-32_auto...re_update.html
Nov 21, 2018, 06:15 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info on the new features page. It's a little hidden being in the downloads section.

I can't get servo movement to work reliably after all. FC locks up after the servo moves for 40 seconds.

FC and servo have two different power sources but a common ground so I don't think it's a power issue. I think it's a software conflict between the quadcopter software and the arduino Stm-32 library. Multiwii had a similar issue with using the arduino library and had to implement custom code to get servo working.

Any help in getting a servo to move reliably would be appreciated.
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 27, 2018 at 03:37 AM. Reason: servo appears to work after all
Nov 23, 2018, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGeo
...I think we may need to move to F3/F4 chips that have FPU to make quaternions practical. I've been working toward porting YMFC-32 to F3/F4 here http://www.stm32duino.com/viewtopic....ac1f9ed1e06b5b but but still just getting started...
Hows your port going MGeo? Looks like you marked your input capture thread as "solved" so is it flying yet
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 27, 2018 at 01:40 AM.
Nov 28, 2018, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
Might be back to having servo control. I added 1.5k pullup resistors to the 12c lines to the 6050 breakout board and so far so good. Need to test some more to confirm.

Custom map function for floats that I am using-
Code:
float mapf(float x, long in_min, long in_max, long out_min, long out_max)                   
{                                                                                    
 return (x - in_min) * (out_max - out_min) / (in_max - in_min) + out_min;           
}
This goes in the motor commands section-
Code:

servoYawDegree = map(pid_output_pitch, -492, 492, 0, 3000);       
yawServo.writeMicroseconds(servoYawDegree + servoZeroNeutral);
Barometer also arrived today.
Nov 29, 2018, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Ran a servo for 10 minutes with no FC lock up so I'm going to say the 12c error is fixed.

Image of the two 1.5 or 1k5 resistors that I put on SCL and SDA. Orange arrow points to them.

Be careful when running servos with the servo library. Without the pullup resistors the FC will lock up leaving the motors running with no response from your transmitter. Only way to turn off the motors is to pull the battery plug. Test with the props off the motors. Found that out the hard way. We need to add some 12c error detection that we can see in the Arduino serial monitor.
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 29, 2018 at 05:37 PM.
Dec 02, 2018, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt
Hows your port going MGeo? Looks like you marked your input capture thread as "solved" so is it flying yet
Hi RCvertt. I'm afraid I've been bogged down in other details in getting things up and running. Still at it though.

George

Quick Reply