This thread is privately moderated by yqrninja, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 24, 2018, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Sunday Morning Glass

Sunday: The task for today is to fiberglass the wing center joint at the root. This is a pretty critical step for this glider, because this will provide all the strength when pulling G's. Unlike some old school kits that I have built in the past, there is no dihedral brace. This is where all the pieces literally come together to create a bond greater than the individual parts. Using Painters tape I taped off the border to prevent epoxy from getting to places I don't want epoxy to be. This kit calls for a 35mm strip of fiberglass (Medium), and a 50mm strip of lighter weight 3/4 oz glass cloth covering the heavy glass strip. I have never used this method of adhering both glass strips at the same time. I like it, it worked well.

If you haven't guessed by now that I am obsessed with weight, I am a big believer that a lighter plane flies better. I have made this mistake before when glassing center joints by using fast cure epoxy like a 5 or 15 minute, I won't make it again. Use slow cure epoxy (thin like maple syrup), use as much epoxy to wet out the glass completely. At this stage you are going to think you have put on too much but its OK, use paper towel to soak up the excess epoxy. This will do two things. Push the cloth against the surface, and gets rid of unnecessary and heavy epoxy. Paper towel is the most important tool for this job. Just be patient, soak up epoxy little by little until the excess is gone. You will be able to tell by looking at it, there should be no shine or reflection of light.

The downside of using thin slow cure epoxy is that it wants to drip and run everywhere. plan for that. Have gloves and paper towel. tape off areas do avoid any mistakes. The Epoxy WILL bleed under the tape, I'm OK with that, small price to pay for saving some weight.. Hopefully the lacquer finish will conceal the bleed.

Fiberglass cloth plus the Epoxy added 9g. . . .This is it, I will NOT be adding additional coats of epoxy to fill the weave for ascetics, this is not about looking good, but flying good.
Last edited by yqrninja; Oct 09, 2018 at 08:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply