May 14, 2019, 10:47 PM
Hey, I was there for the races on Saturday. If I recall, the mid-air was on Sunday. Someone told me the Cassutt that went into the cornfield stopped in less than 50 feet. Happily it went in at a fairly shallow angle. Somewhere in my collection of slides is a picture of Art Scholl with his Miss San Bernardino and a picture of Ollie Arquilla's Miss Dara being towed out. Unhappily, Miss Dara crashed on a test flight on Saturday evening, killing the pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin55
I think it was at the airport in Frederick that Dad took my brother and I to watch the airshow and midget race back in about 1967 or so. Got to see Bob Hoover fly the yellow P-51 Mustang and Aero Commander and two of the midgets touch wings and made emergency landings, one on the ronway and the second in the cornfield beyond the airport. Exciting day! Dad knew all those guys from his work at North American Aviation at Los Angeles and later NACA/NASA managing the X-15 program.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2019, 10:55 PM
Wow!
May 21, 2019, 11:29 AM

Sisu progress

Screen Capture parts creation old school method of lofting.
Jun 16, 2019, 11:26 PM
A couple of photos from my trip to DC last summer. Nice looking glider with a great history!!
Yesterday, 07:23 AM

Retract Mechanism

Based on the photos, the retractable gear uses a trailing fork hinged off the bulkhead directly behind the pilot and a folding "ladder" assembly actuated with cable or some other type of connection. I've mounted it with a doubler plate of aircraft ply using a section of 6061 T6 aluminum channel or square tube to provide a flat for mounting and two right angled legs which with a cross dowel capturing the two main arms.

Quick Reply