Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 30, 2018, 10:20 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3.6
Dont worry guys this thread dident dissaprear. Im just about done with the wing CAD model. College calculus 3 tests got in the way

LOL! I remember those days! Calc 1, 2 and then 3. I went all the way up to Differential Equations my last semester. I never studied harder for a class in my entire life. And in the 27-28 years I've been an engineer I've never used a BIT of it.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2018, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
LOL! I remember those days! Calc 1, 2 and then 3. I went all the way up to Differential Equations my last semester. I never studied harder for a class in my entire life. And in the 27-28 years I've been an engineer I've never used a BIT of it.
Hahhhh i wondered if i would ever need the math. I got the wings started. The botom plates are sanded and cut with the wing ribs glued on. The space in the middle of each rib is gonna house the plywood spar.
Dec 09, 2018, 07:49 AM
Alright i got the wings completely designed. The bottom wing plate and the ribs are done. All thats left is the wing box and top skins.
Dec 09, 2018, 07:50 AM
Ahhhhh! the pictures were uploaded upside down
Dec 09, 2018, 07:51 AM
But they work if you click on them
Dec 09, 2018, 09:05 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Nice. I'm liking how you are taking this from design to "fabrication" and adapting when you come across a problem. There are some young engineers I work with that still don't quite get that process
Dec 13, 2018, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
Nice. I'm liking how you are taking this from design to "fabrication" and adapting when you come across a problem. There are some young engineers I work with that still don't quite get that process
Thanks. It took me a couple tries to learn that the building materials properties and your ability to create/fabricate those materials is more impostant than the design. If you can design it that doesent mean you can build it. In other words being able to manufacture a design is more important than the design itself.
Dec 13, 2018, 09:02 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
In other words being able to manufacture a design is more important than the design itself.

That, my young friend is the heart of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMa). And I'm glad to see that you've picked up on that concept.

We had (past tense, thankfully) one young engineer here who was reportedly experienced at "machine designer". When I came on board (with about 25 years of manufacturing experience) and was working as lead on his project I noticed right away that NONE of his so called designs could be manufactured easily. While he could operate Solid Works with some proficiency, perform calculations like a computer, and quote tables in books, his common sense about how items were made, and the order of manufacturing operations was sorely lacking. He eventually was taken off the project and I had to redesign everything he did from scratch.
Dec 13, 2018, 09:16 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
<snip> If you can design it that doesent mean you can build it. In other words being able to manufacture a design is more important than the design itself.
If it can't be built it hasn't really been designed.
To be called a 'good design' a thing must be suitable for its intended function and capable of being made using the skills and technologies actually available and 'affordable' in terms of time and or money.
Good design also includes provision for the object to be maintained in a way that is convenient.
Bad design is way, way easier than good design.
Dec 13, 2018, 09:21 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Bad design is way, way easier than good design.

LOL!!! Too true!!
Dec 14, 2018, 01:09 PM
Awesome build so far!
Jan 08, 2019, 12:56 PM
Ok im back after a while. I realized that the wooden wing spar is not going to be strong enough past the outer half of the wing. Therefore im now searching around for a 1/4 inch thick carbon rod thats not too expensive to replace the wood. I also finished one wing engine pod and have started on the others. There are gonna be profile fuel tanks on the wings too. Heres a few shots of the plane sofar. Personally i cant wait till it flies
Jan 09, 2019, 05:43 PM
Maybe you could pick up some arrows. I seem to find them for a $1 each every now and then.
Jan 10, 2019, 06:26 PM
Ahhh arrow shafts. Great idea. Ill look around for some

Quick Reply