Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 20, 2018, 12:10 PM
Nice progress
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2018, 12:57 PM
So i got the all of the fuselage servos and servo wireing done and i glued the horizontal tail on. Next is to get all of the fuselage skins on
Oct 25, 2018, 07:31 AM
Ok the main fuselage has been succesfully skinned. Now its time to skin the tail
Im using a ssrvo for each elevator and one for the rudder. The plane is also gonna have one servo per each aileron. Also the ailerons are gonna act more as spoilers than anything else, just like on the real plane. When i move the stick to the right only the right aileron moves completley up and vice versa. That system was more successful when i had built a smaller b 52 in the past.
Oct 25, 2018, 11:06 AM
Thank you for documenting and sharing it,this is something else!
Nov 02, 2018, 04:39 PM
Alright progress. The main fuselage is 99% done , its just missing the battery/electronics hatch. I aldo decided to redesign the wings again. Origionally the wing was only a single flat piece of foam but tat turened out to be too weak. The Next design was a doupble layered flat wing but that still dident satisfy the strength requirements. Finally i bit the bullet and decided to build the wing like an armin wing, or the same way i wrapped the skin around the fuselage. The build progress is coming up soon.

And for anyone who wanted plans after the plane is fully built and has flown ill make plans for it. Im still tweaking the design and build process. I actually had to change the plans alot to put the tail fins on. The way i had it before it was impossible to build using the foam/techniques i have
Nov 02, 2018, 04:40 PM
And for scale thats a 12x6 prop on the back
Nov 04, 2018, 08:34 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Looking good!! I have been following this build thread since you started. I am looking forward to the first flight.

Are you going to put a spar in the wing? I know Ed over at Experimental Airlines had a video showing how he incorporated a CF arrow shaft as a spar. I'm wondering if you are going to go that route as well
Nov 05, 2018, 07:12 AM
Im definatelly gonna glue carbon spars inside the wing before its closed. It needs it for strength for sure.
Nov 14, 2018, 09:20 AM
Sorry for the long wait guys i had to study for a calculus test. Here are some pictures of the cad model and specificly the wing skin and the first section of inner ribs.
Nov 14, 2018, 01:36 PM
low tech high tech
Great looking project so far!
Nov 16, 2018, 11:16 AM
Alright this is how the wing is gonna be designed. Origionally it was a single piece of foam but i realized that would be wayyyy to weak. Wing design v2 was a double laminated foam wing but that also did not satisfy all of the structural and aerodynamic necessity’s. Wing v3 was gonna be like an armin wing. Bent over foam with ribs to hold its shape and to make sure the foam doesent crack you put tape on the outside of the bend and once glued remove the tape. That would be strong enough theoreticly but in the long run i bet the bend would crack under pressure. I could leave the tape on but that adds weight and you cant paint it. Finally i settled with a combo of wing v1 and v3. Wing design v4 is gonna be a flat piece of foam for the bottom of the wing with ribs on top and a skin glued to the leading and trailing edge. Here are side view shots of wing v3 and wing v4 design alongside with the bottom plate of wing v4
The first picture is a side cross section of wing v3. The white section is the outer bent foam and the black section is the rib. The last picture shows wing v4s cross section. The yellow part is the bottom wing, the white is the top wing plate and the black is the wing rib.
Nov 16, 2018, 03:46 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
I think the section would be improved if the maximum thickness was moved back to around 1/3 of the cord.
The plane will fly with the section depicted, but I think it will fly better if a more conventional shape is used.
There's a lot of history behind the 'conventional shape.'
Nov 16, 2018, 03:55 PM
Yeah that was just a freehand airfoil. Ill move the max to around a 1/3 of the chord
Nov 30, 2018, 07:50 AM
Dont worry guys this thread dident dissaprear. Im just about done with the wing CAD model. College calculus 3 tests got in the way
Nov 30, 2018, 09:46 AM
Retired CAD guy
Did that twice , passed with A once.
Worked with electronics, mechanical, optical engineers and chemists.
Never used it, or even heard of it being used.

Found this argument useless as calculus is always defended.

Life is funny that way.

Quick Reply