Sep 22, 2018, 03:33 PM
Build Log

B 52 full fuselage (8 foot wingspan)

So a long time ago i built a small pusher b 52 that had around a 3 foot wingspan and a box fuselage. It flew great do i wanted to design a larger b 52. This plane will have an 8 foot wingspan, a single pusher motor and an 2200 3s battery. The origional b 52 i built that was smaller had the same power system and had tons of thrust. To put this same power system in a bigger ( but only a tad heavier) plane with a larger sing area will hopefully make for very scale flight speeds/charecteristics and it will still hopefully have adequite thrust.

Heres a few pictures of the fuselage spine and ribbs glued together. The wing box construction comes next. For scale the door height that the fuselage is leaning against is 7 feet tall😁
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2018, 03:34 PM
Oh and the building materials are model plane foam (depron substitute) and some plywood
Sep 23, 2018, 07:25 AM
treefinder
Gonna be cool! Can't wait for videos, foam overcast! (Ok, I know aluminum overcast was B36, but I think concept applies here too!)
Sep 23, 2018, 02:14 PM
So i started the wing fuselage connection joint. Its just two 1/8 inch plywood sheets sandwiched between home depot blue foam.
Oct 01, 2018, 06:24 AM
Ok i did a little more work. The large sheet the fuselage is sitting on is the main outer skin piece. Its gonna be wrapped around the fuselage and glued to the ribbs in the process. The mogor mount is just 1/8 ply and im using a hk ntm 28-30 800kv with a 12x6 slowflyer prop.
Oct 01, 2018, 08:24 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I hope it's the camera angle, as the fuz seems to have a bit of a curve.

Nice project.

Oct 01, 2018, 05:12 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
I think you are right Ray. However it is still in its floppy state, flexing its thin centre profile structure.
If (when) the builder sets it up straight and adds the skin everything will be good.
Oct 02, 2018, 08:24 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Looks good and I'm going to learn some new/different techniques by following this build, but I am curious, why a pusher?
Oct 04, 2018, 12:44 PM
What are you using for plans?
Oct 04, 2018, 02:52 PM
Hi guys. So yeah the tail is extreamly floppy left to right because theres no skin but it will straighten out after the skins on. The reasoning behind one small pusher in the tail is for weight reasons. With one engine the wing loading will be less than with two. Also one lage diameter slowflyer prop has much more low speed grunt/thrust than two equivilant props and engines mounted on the wings. Due to the hollow nature of this plane the wing loading with electronics will be simmilar to a 2m glider. Im trying to optimize scale and slow flight characteristics over speed and scale looks (even though the plane is as close to scale as i can get).
So the plans im using are 3 view drawings and cross section immages found on google imported into a cad program. I then make the best trace around the front, side, and top views of the drawing and use these approximations to make a cad model of the faces of the plane. Next the planes are extruded all 1/4 invh to mimick the foam im using. Next i take every cad part , flatten it out and print out the flattened piece. Next that printed piece is layed on 1/4” foam sheets and traced then cut.
Oct 04, 2018, 03:06 PM
Very anxious to see the wings and how you mount the nacelles.
Oct 05, 2018, 06:01 AM
So i started skining some of the nose. To bend the skin pieces i put packing tape on the outside of the bend to keep the foam from snapping. This way it only compresses on itself. The teqnique is similar to score and fold but the opposite.
Oct 07, 2018, 01:19 PM
Alright the nose skin pieces are on and the lower wing box wood is being glued on to the fuselage.
Oct 07, 2018, 01:20 PM
Heres the pictures
Oct 19, 2018, 02:48 PM
Ok guys sorry for dissapering life got in the way.
Im starting to roll the fuselge to attach the fuselage to the main fuselage skin sides. I also finished the nose. Next is servo mounting and final skin coverings. Then the wing is last

To roll the skin onto the fusealge without the foam sheet cracking you put tape on the outside to keep the foam from breaking. Its the same as taking paper off of one side of dollar tree foam and bending the foam in on itself

Quick Reply