This thread is privately moderated by vtach688, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 22, 2018, 12:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sig Kobra

Itís been over 10 years since I last built a kit and about that long since Iíve flown. Now I have time to do both and thought I would start up again. Iíve always loved building and thought that I would start with a kit.

I chose the Sig Kobra kit because of the quality of their kits and they are just a builders kit, inMy opinion.

I am building it as an electric using a 3s 2200 batt. Other than that Iím going to build it as per the plans.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2018, 12:58 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
You made a good choice, I am on my second and third system is so slow it wont download.......................enjoy!
Sep 22, 2018, 12:58 PM
Brooklynite In Texas
You made a good choice, I am on my second and third, system is so slow pics wont download.......................enjoy!
Sep 27, 2018, 06:45 PM
Thread OP

Kobra

Thatís great
Sep 28, 2018, 10:43 AM
Thread OP

Gear

The build is progressing well with the wing 95% complete. Just a little sanding and finishing up. it went together pretty easy.

This is some of the gear I'm putting in the plane.

Cobra 2810/10 1170 kv 490 watts
3s 2200 Lipo
Hitec 225 HB servos x 3
Great Planes 50amp esc
APC props (I'll test several to get the best performance once i get her flying).
Sep 28, 2018, 10:58 AM
Thread OP

fuselage

This part went well. the hatch i built by placing wax paper over the frame, and pinned 1/8 balsa sheeting. Then I used thin CA to tack everything together. Once done, i reinforced the bottom with 1/8 in balsa sticks. I will add magnets to the bottom to hold the hatch in place. I did have to trim down F2 a little to fit the hatch. The canopy will be attached to the hatch leaving the turtle to be attached to the rear fuse top sheeting.

I did have to drop the motor down about 1/2 in to match up with the front of the nose. I'm leaving the cowl more open, incase i have to take the motor out, and there is not a lot of room up front but workable.

I do have a twist at the rear of the fuse, but should be able to straighten it out once the top sheeting is complete.
Oct 02, 2018, 05:20 AM
Cat Man
Just my opinion, but that classic design deserves a glow engine as it was intended for. Great build!
Oct 02, 2018, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
Yes I do see your point. Thanks.
Oct 02, 2018, 09:55 AM

E vs glow

Simple solution, after comfortably back in the hobby, BUILD ANOTHER for glow!!

"Out of power, altitude & ideas"
Oct 03, 2018, 07:58 AM
Thread OP

Kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckamikaze
Simple solution, after comfortably back in the hobby, BUILD ANOTHER for glow!!

"Out of power, altitude & ideas"
Yes I should do that or get the King Kobra, lol.

I do several kits to build with some Saitos waiting to be flown.
Oct 03, 2018, 08:03 AM
Thread OP

Kobra cont

Well little more progress. I went and glued the tail feathers on and should be covering soon. Everything is hinged and ready.
Oct 03, 2018, 09:36 AM
Thread OP

building

Building again has been a very interesting challenge. Recalling old skill sets, realizing what I had forgotten, and learning new techniques. Iím glad my first project was a kit vs an ARF. There is noting wrong with the ARFs, they tend to be cheaper and quicker to get in the air. However, I wouldnít have gotten the experience of building from a box of wood, that will fly, plus the sense of accomplishment.

I started out building rubber band and free flight models when I was a kid. It helped me understand the some of the physics of flight. It was the hands-on, real world application of that which help me have a deeper understanding. Kit building, today, seems to be going away in the hobby. For me, I will always love building and will try to do it as long as I can.
Oct 04, 2018, 07:45 AM
Thread OP

Almost complete

Well sheís ready to be covered. Did the final sanding and time to cover.

Quick Reply