Mar 05, 2002, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Question

Mountain Models--Cessna 180??

Doug,

What's the latest on the Cessna 180 project? Do you have a prototype flying yet? Anything we can see to whet our appetites?

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2002, 10:14 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Steve,

I'm taking tomorrow off (I have a day job) and I will be cleaning up the shop to start focusing on the 180. I've been thinking a lot about it lately and have some ideas about how I can bring it to production quickly. DBlum did a fantastic job with it so I just need to make sure that the typical builder will have no problems with the assembling of the kit. I will post photos as soon as I have something worth showing.

Doug
Mar 05, 2002, 10:37 PM
Crash Master
Based on past performances, I hope there is a calm afternoon in the mountains tomorrow!

Keep us advised, Doug. I'm waiting for the J-3 variation, since I'm partial.....
Mar 06, 2002, 06:21 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Doug. Really looking forward to seeing it in kit form.

Steve
Apr 04, 2002, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Doug,

Any new developments on the Cessna 180?

Steve
Apr 04, 2002, 10:34 AM
Leave me alone!
Doug, do you have a picture of the C-180? This thread just caught my attention!
Apr 05, 2002, 09:25 AM
Thread OP
Dreamer,

Just realized that Doug must be at the big model show in Toledo for this weekend.

However, if you want to see a pic of the Cessna, do a search in Parkflyers under Cessna and you'll find a thread coincidentally named cessnas. The pic is there.

The Cessna 180 was designed and built by DBlum, and really looks great. Last I heard he and Doug were working on putting a kit out for it. Just not sure where it stands now.

Steve
Apr 05, 2002, 02:28 PM
BEC
BEC
Yup, Doug's in Toledo.

I saw a partially built prototype of the Cessna and DBlum's plans (on Doug's computer screen) when I visited there March 9th. I've no idea how far that's come since then - he's been cranking out Switchback kits to take to Toledo and was working on the retract gear mod for it, too.
Apr 06, 2002, 07:32 AM
Thread OP
Thanks BEC, I was pretty sure he's in Toledo. One of these years I'd like to make the trip there.

That's good news about the Cessna prototype. Hope it's come a little further along since your visit.

I've been seeing a lot of threads about his Switchback and wings and retracts, so I'm sure he's been pretty busy.

Steve
Apr 08, 2002, 11:08 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Hi All,

Just got back from Toledo. Whew! Will be catching up on email and orders then trying to finish up the Cessna 180. It's a really cute design and I'm anxious to get it out.

Doug
Apr 08, 2002, 04:07 PM
BEC
BEC
Quote:
Originally posted by steve f
Thanks BEC, I was pretty sure he's in Toledo. One of these years I'd like to make the trip there.

That's good news about the Cessna prototype. Hope it's come a little further along since your visit.

I've been seeing a lot of threads about his Switchback and wings and retracts, so I'm sure he's been pretty busy.

Steve
Guilty as charged. Doug took lots of pics of my Switchback Sport's retract installation while I was there as well.
Last edited by BEC; Apr 08, 2002 at 07:19 PM.
Apr 08, 2002, 05:09 PM
Leave me alone!
Doug,

Will the retract mod be available as a plan addon download free to those that have already purchased the kit? Otherwise, any idea on cost for just a plan download?
Apr 08, 2002, 05:26 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Dreamer,

That's a good idea. I was planning a laser cut kit with some ply parts, the GWS retracts, smaller wheels, etc. but I could also just publish the plans and drawings.

On the other hand, the conversion kit shouldn't be too expensive and will contain everything you would need.

Doug
Apr 08, 2002, 07:08 PM
I sure hope we can get you guys some planes,it really does fly nice.I took the 180 with me on a business trip over the weekend as it's still my favorite plane for relaxed flying.I got curious about how many touch and go's I could do on a 300mah pack.I had to stop at 55 when it got too dark,but I know I could have got 5 more.These were complete 1 touch and go arounds,not 3 bounce passes.Sure is fun practicing those landings!I need to make the landing lights in the wing functional.Hmm...
Apr 08, 2002, 08:21 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
I got some ideas at Toledo that will make this 180 kit even nicer. I'm anxious to try them out. As soon as I have some news, I'll post it.

Doug

Quick Reply