The “Shaker-Test Stand” - Marine Jet USA

The SHAKER Test Stand was developed for engines from 30cc up to 200cc, single, twin or multi-cylinder Gasoline Aircraft engines.

Splash

“The SHAKER “ - Gas Engine Vibration Isolating Test Stand.

From the Designer

I started to build gas airplanes again and noticed some of the motors are a bit rough at the start before break-in, as the building season is approaching new projects are in the works again. I thought I would break in my motor on a simple stand but then started doing some research on aspects of breaking in aircraft motors. The two problems with most test stands is that they are rigid, the other is a lack of cooling. Bolting up a motor to a solid mount can actually destroy the motor when vibrations or harmonics occur. While some motor manufacturers say its best just to fly the motor, others do not. It is nice to have the option to do this out of the airframe to sort out or even get used to using the motor. I noticed

my DLE 30 was quite rough in the beginning so I decided to make a stand that could absorb the damaging harmonics and simulate the airframe by allowing moment and absorption of those damaging vibrations. additionally, I was not putting extra wear and tear on the airframe or risking a poor running engine on maiden flights.In short, I needed something to simulate the airplanes ability to rock and roll on the rubber tires to absorb these vibrations so that led to the creation of the Shaker...Vibration Absorbing Engine Test Stand. Its a mouthful so I just call it the Shaker...I have run 30cc up to 200cc motors with ease and on the larger motors with (inline 4's) there is an additional problem I noticed even with full-size aircraft- the rear cylinders run much warmer than the fronts do, so I made a bolt on cooling should that catches the prop wash and not only cools the motor but it also redirects the airflow directly over the rear cylinders to avoid overheating during break-ins. An alternate method is a box fan underneath the motor when it's on the stand, but the cooling should do it job. Which makes you think more about your cowl and possible baffles that may be needed with these motors.

The final item to think about was once you drill out the plate for the motor, what about other motors with different bolt patterns? The solution was swap-able motor plates. This makes the motor mount area over 2" thick of high-grade Baltic birch plywood. Very Stout with only 4 bolts to remove everything- motor and shroud. Ultra high-grade alu rails mount the stand to just about any surface. I wanted overkill- I think I got it. :)

• CNC machined parts for perfect fit.
  • Staineless Steel Hardware.
  • Compact Design.
  • Removable Cooling Shrouds
  • Ultra Tough Construction.
  • Swap-able Motor Mount Plates.

Videos

20180517 135112 (1 min 1 sec)

20180517 135112Trim (0 min 31 sec)

20180802 151906 77137473843878 (0 min 17 sec)

20180802 152012 77203330328124 (0 min 39 sec)

20180802 152247 77312550817718 (0 min 16 sec)

Photos

Learn More

Head over to the Marine Jet USA for more info!

Sep 24, 2018, 05:51 AM
Can you say what provides the allowance for vibration? Or is that a trade secret?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Sep 28, 2018, 11:46 AM
A man without a plan
How much $? I have a 190cc paramotor engine that produces 170+ lbs of thrust. would this thing work for tuning the engine while running?
Sep 28, 2018, 12:34 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_n_Germany
Can you say what provides the allowance for vibration? Or is that a trade secret?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Looks like the upper mount is sprung with four compression springs and an a rubber limiter. You can see it on their website.
Latest blog entry: ECSF 2017 SWap Meet - 4/2/17...
Oct 01, 2018, 10:13 AM
AMA 112851
Nice looking stand BUT I see no provisions for mounding different size engines on the same firewall/backplate without drilling new holes for motor mount and throttle linkage. Suggest a machined 1/4" aluminum plate with X slots cut to accommodate different motors...

Quick Reply