Oct 13, 2018, 12:04 PM
Thanks for your comments and info.
As for quality equipment (and I assume I'm opening a opinionated discussion here..) I'm using Hobbyking electronics for the past 8 years, without notable issues.
Servos - I always use the HXT-5010 (Twin bearing Digital Servo 25T 6.5kg / 0.16sec / 39.2g) which worked flolesly on my H9 P-51 40, H9 Camel Sopwith and other similar models. Few years back I open a thread here asking for people experience with the know brands servos (Hitec, Futaba, etc.) vs. the Hobbyking ones. Many people agreed that is the servo is working according to the specs and center OK when it's new, no reason it will fail during flight.
Motor - instead of the Power 60, I used the Turnigy 5050 600 KV and the SK3 5050 430KV on my H9 P-51 and H9 Extra 330SC, again, without any issue.
ESC - Turnigy Plush
And also the retracts worked fine on my H9 P-51 and other large Scale / Ducted Fun foamies, without an issue.
When you have 10 models and more, I prefer to invest $150 on the Motor, ESC, Servos and Retracts, rather than ~$500...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2018, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Hangar 9 P51D 20cc (2 min 53 sec)
Oct 14, 2018, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyst
Thanks for your comments and info.
As for quality equipment (and I assume I'm opening a opinionated discussion here..) I'm using Hobbyking electronics for the past 8 years, without notable issues.
Servos - I always use the HXT-5010 (Twin bearing Digital Servo 25T 6.5kg / 0.16sec / 39.2g) which worked flolesly on my H9 P-51 40, H9 Camel Sopwith and other similar models. Few years back I open a thread here asking for people experience with the know brands servos (Hitec, Futaba, etc.) vs. the Hobbyking ones. Many people agreed that is the servo is working according to the specs and center OK when it's new, no reason it will fail during flight.
Motor - instead of the Power 60, I used the Turnigy 5050 600 KV and the SK3 5050 430KV on my H9 P-51 and H9 Extra 330SC, again, without any issue.
ESC - Turnigy Plush
And also the retracts worked fine on my H9 P-51 and other large Scale / Ducted Fun foamies, without an issue.
When you have 10 models and more, I prefer to invest $150 on the Motor, ESC, Servos and Retracts, rather than ~$500...
Remember that there is cheap and there is inexpensive. They aren't mutually exclusive.

There are some very good components from hobby king. I've got no issues with certain ESC's servos and motors. As someone who also has north of 15 models. Some I have no issues putting inexpensive stuff in, while some models need the "good stuff" ( for lack of a better term)
And yes sometimes you pay for a name.

But it comes down to a risk management. each person has to answer the question for themselves. What level of equipment does this model need for my piece of mind.
Oct 14, 2018, 03:10 PM
I fully agree, and the experience / failure experience will move the needle on that risk management in the expensive / in-expensive meter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell
Remember that there is cheap and there is inexpensive. They aren't mutually exclusive.

There are some very good components from hobby king. I've got no issues with certain ESC's servos and motors. As someone who also has north of 15 models. Some I have no issues putting inexpensive stuff in, while some models need the "good stuff" ( for lack of a better term)
And yes sometimes you pay for a name.

But it comes down to a risk management. each person has to answer the question for themselves. What level of equipment does this model need for my piece of mind.
Oct 14, 2018, 03:10 PM
Nice piloting skills!
Which retracts do you use? Why it didn't open the first time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashEMhard
Oct 14, 2018, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Nice piloting skills!
Which retracts do you use? Why it didn't open the first time?
They are the Eflite retracts. I have a loose wiring Y harness I’m heading home to change out. They just did a random cycle. They go up and still lock down. Just think I have a bad Y harness. Have multiple set of these and never had this issue before.
Oct 14, 2018, 03:45 PM
Any bad habits like tip stalling in the classic P-51 models or it's an easy to fly this bird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashEMhard
They are the Eflite retracts. I have a loose wiring Y harness Iím heading home to change out. They just did a random cycle. They go up and still lock down. Just think I have a bad Y harness. Have multiple set of these and never had this issue before.
Oct 14, 2018, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Any bad habits like tip stalling in the classic P-51 models or it's an easy to fly this bird?
This donít even fly like a P51. Itís just smooth and grooves. Lands real slow. Havenít found any bad habits yet. Weíre up to about 20 flights.
Oct 14, 2018, 05:19 PM
The Sequel
R u salesperson for horizon crash em?
Oct 14, 2018, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2
R u salesperson for horizon crash em?
Myself and my brother are not employed by Horizon in anyway. We are just lucky to be chosen to field test products, see what we like and donít like and report back. We are just 2 guys who have been building and flying for 25yrs. Our testing and building is a end result of a better product for you and me if changes need made.

I also own planes, engines and servos from other manufacturers. I fly and use what works best for me.
Oct 14, 2018, 08:28 PM
The Sequel
And you pay retail for everything you own n fly?
Oct 14, 2018, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2
And you pay retail for everything you own n fly?
We buy ďa lotĒ of stuff through our local hobby shop. Is anything in life ever free?
Oct 14, 2018, 08:46 PM
The Sequel
Sometimes, thats why im asking. Alot but not all? Com'on in all honesty give us a full disclaimer
Oct 15, 2018, 08:12 PM
What size are the main wheels/tires?

Thanks!
Oct 15, 2018, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C!
What size are the main wheels/tires?

Thanks!
3.5Ē. But I used 3 1/4 Robarts on mine.

Quick Reply