Thread OP
Engine installs
Oct 08, 2018, 09:08 AM
Well.... I guess I know what I want for Christmas
Oct 08, 2018, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJClub78
Well.... I guess I know what I want for Christmas
Better order it now. It might be sold out and on back order by then it's getting more positive attention then I thought considering there already a lot of mustangs out there. This is the perfect daily flying size
Oct 08, 2018, 05:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
Better order it now. It might be sold out and on back order by then it's getting more positive attention then I thought considering there already a lot of mustangs out there. This is the perfect daily flying size
First batch will sell out fast!!!
Oct 10, 2018, 03:13 AM
What would you say about these retracts to be used on this bird?
It looks similar to the e-flite 60-120 85 degree in terms of weight class and size, although it's rated up to 5kg which might be a bit on the edge here

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/servoles...ount-2pcs.html
Oct 10, 2018, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyst
It looks similar to the e-flite 60-120 85 degree in terms of weight class and size, although it's rated up to 5kg which might be a bit on the edge here

I would think they break on a not so perfect landing or maybe even a good one. Why risk damaging a $400 airframe on cheap retracts? Get the all metal eflite ones made for it.
Oct 10, 2018, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:

I have a few sets of the Eflite retracts in my warbirds. One of my warbirds isnít even a Hangar 9 and pretty heavy and havenít had any issues. And we only fly off grass fields here.
Oct 10, 2018, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys, however the e-flite ones are $160 before shipping which is almost half of this bird...

These are for models 10-12kg, I guess they will take heavy landing but I would have to fit them as they are a bit bigger in size...

Oct 10, 2018, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Thanks guys, however the e-flite ones are $160 before shipping which is almost half of this bird...

These are for models 10-12kg, I guess they will take heavy landing but I would have to fit them as they are a bit bigger in size...

I have never had plastic retracts on a plane 10lbs+ hold up. They all crack. Depending on how and when they fail you may be replacing a wing or having to do a lot of ugly repair work. A new wing is pretty pricey by itself, $95usd. Not to say that the more expensive eflite retracts wonít possibly have an issue at some point. However I have a few sets on different warbirds and jets with not 1 failure. My older H9 P-47 razorback has over 400 flights on it with the eflite gear and itís still going strong. Maybe you are lucky but your run of the mill plastic retracts that come with foamys etc... all have had issues for me. The hobby king ones you are suggesting are just bigger versions of the same. If itís about the money then it is what it is. Iím just trying to save you some headaches.
Oct 10, 2018, 12:21 PM
Arrived yesterday at my lhs. Looks like nice bird
Oct 12, 2018, 06:30 PM
Thread OP
Mustangs are hitting the shops now. Post your projects here for all to see!!
Oct 12, 2018, 08:45 PM
Quote:

I have got those in 2 different 6-1/2kl war birds and I fly from grass, some times I bounce, now and again I nose over, one plane has over 40 flight's the other about 15, I have had no problems with the retracts, they rotate in about 6 seconds, and they have a cut off if they jam, I have 2 other 120 size planes to build and I will use them again

Mike
Oct 13, 2018, 11:14 AM
Quote:

yes the E-Flite ones are a but pricy compared to the hobby king units.
I put a set of the E-Flite units in a FMS P-47 to solve the retract issues. Some time later couple bad landings I had to replace the mount support in the wing as the plastic and foam broke loose. No fault of the retract unit,

For me I don't understand using a set of hobby king retracts in this Mustang. For the following.
1) The airplane is $400. add in 7? servos I would assume you would want quality ones. A 20cc gas engine or electric power system.
Only to cheap out on the retract units. and risk damaging the whole project because of a failure.
2) I watch a club member always having retract issues of one kind or another.

To me it's like building a beautiful project, putting all the best stuff in it, and then using a cheap receiver.

Yes even the quality stuff can fail from time to time. I would sooner have better quality equipment in the airplane. My thumbs aren't anywhere a good a some guys. But I prefer to crash because of my thumbs over equipment failure.
Oct 13, 2018, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell
yes the E-Flite ones are a but pricy compared to the hobby king units.
I put a set of the E-Flite units in a FMS P-47 to solve the retract issues. Some time later couple bad landings I had to replace the mount support in the wing as the plastic and foam broke loose. No fault of the retract unit,

For me I don't understand using a set of hobby king retracts in this Mustang. For the following.
1) The airplane is $400. add in 7? servos I would assume you would want quality ones. A 20cc gas engine or electric power system.
Only to cheap out on the retract units. and risk damaging the whole project because of a failure.
2) I watch a club member always having retract issues of one kind or another.

To me it's like building a beautiful project, putting all the best stuff in it, and then using a cheap receiver.

Yes even the quality stuff can fail from time to time. I would sooner have better quality equipment in the airplane. My thumbs aren't anywhere a good a some guys. But I prefer to crash because of my thumbs over equipment failure.

I agree on using quality retracts. Last thing you want is a failure. For servos I have in mine the basic A6110ís since there on every control. More then enough power for the throw of a warbird. Only used metal gear ones on the elevators. Way over kill but thatís my personal preference. Even tho I fly off grass, I went down a size in wheels and went to Robart wheels for scale looks and with the smaller wheels not so tight in the wheel wells and room for a little movement. I do this with all my warbirds.

We fly off a Ultralite runway. Nice grass. Hard packed field and not ultra smooth has bumps. So far the stock struts and the Eflite retracts have worked super.

I understand looking to save $ somewhere in a build, but the retracts are something you rely on every flight.

Quick Reply