Sep 20, 2018, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hangar 9 P51D 20cc Arf. NEW release, Built and flown

As most of you have seen me and my brother had the first Hellcat 20cc. Now we have the 001 Mustang!

This thing is a very beautiful bird and pretty good size for a 20cc plane. When I first got it and opened it the covering was beautiful. It has all the panel and rivets printed on it and a ton of markings. The next thing I noticed was the beautiful cockpit. The dash is amazing and the pilot is pretty sweet too. Has the seats and other details that look very nice.

We built 2 of these. Mine has the Evolution 20GX 20cc motor and stock muffler. Simple bolt in. And completely hides in the cowl. There is plenty of room and a tray for the ignition box out of the way below the fuel tank. I also mounted the Tech aero Ibec down there on one. Also comes with a nice big fuel tank and with the Evo motor that just sips fuel, it lasts forever. I have my timer set at 9:00 mins and I bet it uses a 1/4 tank. This is the 3rd Evolution 20cc we have owned and they run like a top. We also have (2) 15cc evos
And they are amazing as well. They are currently my personal motor of choice for the quality, simple mounting and operating.

The Servos are Spektrum A6110 powered by a Spektrum life. I love the Spektrum life’s due to the compact size. I also use other brands, but these just seem to fit the bill so I now own more of these then anything. Receiver is a AR9350 AS3X. I do not even have the gyro turned on in the mustang as for it flys that solid and straight. This plane has a nice huge top hatch that fits really well, making install simple.

The plane is built really light and really well. People will love the scale flaps. They work beautiful. But I personally don’t even use flaps much and this takes off and lands wonderful without flaps. Nice straight take offs and nice slow landings. The Eflite electric retracts fit in there perfect. The provided struts look nice and work good too. Not as smooth as the actual Eflite branded ones, but they fit the bill. My field I fly off is not the smoothest grass, it’s like a hard packed clay and the mustang takes off and lands in it great. The only trouble we had was to get the doors lined up perfect so the retracts wouldn’t bind. It may take you a few try’s, but it is worth it. The doors are strong and formed and make it look that much more beautiful. Plane comes with a very nice spinner and a very nice fiberglass cowl, removable wing tanks and also has a door for either a retractable tailwheel and another door for the standard setup.

The Mustang does have a provision for a retractable Tail wheel. I opted not to use one as for it would of needed some nose weight. To me it was one less thing to worry about and kept it a little lighter. Again this was personal preference, but to the purist the option is there and wouldn’t be hard to do.

EFLG111 will fit, but it requires some modeling skills. The Mounts are pre installed and a spare plastic rear cover is supplied ( As are gear doors ) There is also a removable tail gear hatch ( With locking mechanism pre fitted in every kit that assists access to this area... But the actual fitting and operation is left to the builders personal preference. These steps are not covered in the manual. It was always meant to be a bonus, or an assist for those builders who wanted to take the time to make this work? Please be aware that nose weight will be required to offset the extra weight in the tail.

The Evolution 20GX flys this thing around really really well. It’s also a brand new motor running the 20:1
Oil mix and the recommended 15x8 APC prop. I haven’t really tweeted the motor out yet since it is not broken in. But it flys amazing as is. The only thing I did was cut the stacks off the stock Evolution motor flush with the bottom of the cowl.

I have owned a few Mustangs. It’s my favorite warbird. I have flown the other warbirds also and this is my favorite one. It just tracks and grooves like a pattern plane. Scale take off with or without flaps. Lands just as nice with or without flaps.

The landing gear seem to be super strong and holding up well to our non smooth runway. I’m sure they will be just fine.

Overall this plane just rocks. Hangar 9 has up’d there game on this one. Wait til you get to fly one. Simply amazing.

I have a huge event this weekend I am hosting. It will be shown off there and I’ll get more pictures for you all later.

All of the Green Zinc chromeate was painted by me. Stock comes silver. And of course the nose art was made by Callie graphics of my wife

Take care.
Last edited by crashEMhard; Sep 20, 2018 at 10:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2018, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
My plane has also been weathered by my brother and myself with a flat automive clear over the whole thing.

The one below is #2 built with the Saito FG21 for Ali machinchy himself. His is weathered but no flat clear. It didnít need it and the added weight.

All the zinc chromeate was painted by myself. It comes stock silver.
Last edited by crashEMhard; Sep 20, 2018 at 10:04 PM.
Sep 22, 2018, 11:42 AM
Arrowhead
What’s the covering material?
Sep 22, 2018, 11:03 PM
Printed just like the p47
Sep 23, 2018, 11:14 AM
Arrowhead
I guess what I’m asking is, is it Ultracote or a vinyl material like VQ uses? The previous P-47 used printed Ultracote. Don’t know what the current one is like.
Sep 23, 2018, 11:29 AM
Any info on the retractable tail wheel. I haven't found the listing for it yet.
Sep 23, 2018, 01:54 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
Printed just like the p47
That would make it PVC.
Sep 23, 2018, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell
Any info on the retractable tail wheel. I haven't found the listing for it yet.
Part # EFLG111. It’s what it is designed for but not designated as a tail wheel.
Sep 23, 2018, 07:01 PM
Thread OP
Zoom
Sep 23, 2018, 07:19 PM
Quest for Speed!!!
What are the engine options for this plane which is bolt in. This is going to be my first gas plane. 😜

Dle 20 Rear exhaust?

Can DLE 35 R fit in as well?

Mike
Sep 23, 2018, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_eee
What are the engine options for this plane which is bolt in. This is going to be my first gas plane. ��

Dle 20 Rear exhaust?

Can DLE 35 R fit in as well?

Mike

You want a easy drop in, install the Evolution 20GX is the way to go. I have (3) of them and they start easy, run amazing and drop right in. I love my Evolution engines.

A DLE 20 would work but would require some work and mods for the rear carb and choke linkages. Another reason I switched to using Evolution engines. Simple simple install.

A DLE 35 would be way to big and heavy and wouldn’t fit in the cowl. The compact size of the Evolution fits completely in the cowl.

The 20cc pulls it around with authority and is plenty of motor for this plane. I fly mine 1/2-3/4 throttle mostly unless doing flt bys. I am flying it with the 15x8 break in prop still and the 20:1 required break in oil. It will only get better when it breaks in and I switch oils.

Hope this helps.
Sep 24, 2018, 10:52 PM
Thread OP
This thing is so cool
Sep 25, 2018, 10:26 AM
Any chance on a picture with the hatch off. Looking forward inside around the fuel tank. If I pull the trigger on this one It's a VVRC 20. Basically a copy of the DLE20.
OH and how wide is the cowl? It looks wide enough that a side exhaust engine will fit with a wrap around muffler.
Sep 25, 2018, 11:20 AM
Dle 20 will fit but I think the issues would be the rear carb linkages. The Evo 20 had a side exhaust wrap around Pitts and that fits fine.

Quick Reply