Mar 15, 2019, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMB-LOCK
What size wheels did you end up using? 3 1/2 "or 3 3/4"?

Thanks,

Bob I.
I tried the 3.5” and they fit nicely with no binding. The stock wheels are slightly larger so I don’t think the 3.75” ones would fit.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2019, 10:46 AM
The stock wheels are 4"
Last edited by lfd47; Mar 15, 2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added pics
Mar 16, 2019, 01:27 AM
Would the FMS 67" P-51 retracts fit in this plane ?
Mar 16, 2019, 04:55 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Vas, that is my goal !
Mar 19, 2019, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Vas, that is my goal !
LDM I ordered many parts from the FMS Mustang 1700mm including complete landing gear w wheels, the Predator 5060 Kv300 motor, the 4 Blade Prop and spinner and some more small parts like gear doors and tailwheel retract. Judging from the vid, the motor/ 4 blade combo should pull the H9 Mustang at scale speeds (I hope). I also bought the front cowl section to "blend" it into the modified H9 cowl ( I will be redoing the top of the nose "scale" as we discussed early on). I'll post some pics when I get the parts.

FMS / Diamond Hobby P-51 MUSTANG RED TAIL 1700mm FULL Flight Review (18 min 32 sec)
Mar 19, 2019, 09:29 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Vas next up, as soon as I finished mods to my FMS 1700 Mustang, will be following your thread and also making mods
Not sure on the final scheme yet
Mar 20, 2019, 07:51 AM
Are you just re-painting the FMS or did you glass it ?

I'm going with the LOU IV paint scheme, this way I'll just have to paint over my nose mods with yellow paint.
Mar 20, 2019, 08:02 AM
I'll be extending the nose by about an 1" - 1"1/2 as the H9 looks a bit short. From my assessment, the nose length (from spinner to front of the canopy) should be 3x the lengths of the plane from spinner to rudder (rudder excluded).
Mar 20, 2019, 01:44 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Good observation !
I am not glassing the FMS, it was filled with light weight sanding filler , then sanded and refilled multiple times.
Keeping it light , I only did this because the orginal out of box finished was so bad !

I like your thought process on the H9 version, I will be following with enthusiasm
Oct 06, 2019, 07:23 PM
So...Does this thing fly with authority and power on DLE20RA, or should I consider going bigger? Will A dle35ra fit well?
Oct 19, 2019, 06:31 AM

Seems to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn
So...Does this thing fly with authority and power on DLE20RA, or should I consider going bigger? Will A dle35ra fit well?

This video sold me on the dle20, however I chose the RA, where tbobborap1 in the video chose the side exhaust. Test fits of the cowl show only the plug wire and exhaust holes needing cut, nothing else. Good clean fit at least.

HANGAR 9 P-51D MUSTANG - DLE 20cc RC ARF 69.5" 1/6 SCALE WARBIRD - FLIGHT TEST # 1 - DEANO - 2019 (10 min 27 sec)

The EVO20 template wasn't quite right, but the closest, so I matched on the bench with resection from the dle and transferred it to the firewall using a compass sans the template. I wound up settling on 6 1/16" firewall to plate. Just covers the hatch seam without binding and mounted flush up front, motor case to the ARF included mounts, no spacers.

Relatively unremarkable so far in assembly. Typical. I'm still waiting on a 9 channel receiver to show up, backordered, so I'm not too terribly greased to finish. Maybe next week?
Last edited by Kneedeep0311; Oct 21, 2019 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Added picture of cowl trimming
Oct 19, 2019, 06:56 AM
Very clean ! Nice

In the vid, I like the CG location for the gas tank. Any fuel pump needed for that ?
Last edited by vasek; Oct 19, 2019 at 07:09 AM.
Oct 19, 2019, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasek
Very clean ! Nice

In the vid, I like the CG location for the gas tank. Any fuel pump needed for that ?
I shouldn't think so with a pumped carb, tank placement is less critical. I haven't CG'd yet either, I've only had the wings on once to test the retracts. I did intend on going forward with the tank, but midship, reasonably is attractive. Their tank appears CG neutral or so. I'll have to decide that further on.
Oct 25, 2019, 02:37 AM

Settling for 8 channels

The spektrum 9350 is now backordered until mid january, so I went down to my lhs and got the most channels they had on the shelf in the form of an 8010T 8 channel with telemetry.

So I had to abandon independent ailerons for now. Which as my mind sees it, will only affect axial roll, as up and down travels are supposed to be different. The elevator is still L and R. I didn't want to fiddle with a Y on that channel, servo placement and linkage and such.

I did come across some hot little numbers for the wing connections, maybe covered at some point, but they're from taildragger rc. 3 channels, 1 plug. There's a hole in the fuse and cavity in the wing chord that line up perfectly. I chose to fix the fuse side and leave the wing side slack for ease of use.

I also started on the exhaust manifold to cowl arrangement and decided to double duty them as vents instead of just ornaments. Still waiting on the 560 to dry as I type.

Also, got the first start of the DLE done. I'm a hand starter, the first one took a while, wouldn't prime. Took the carb plate off and soaked everything, worked like a charm after that. I set the L needle while cold, for just open from hesitation. No H adjustments yet. Idled at ca 1400 outta the box - ignition tach. 2 maybe 3 flips once it's ran. I'm not going to complain.
Last edited by Kneedeep0311; Oct 25, 2019 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Added picture of cowl trimming
Oct 30, 2019, 02:01 AM
The maiden went very well!

I chose a 16x8 classic series master airscrew. The prop hub took a bit of work to perfectly balance, I'm not satisfied with side to side. I want 360° balance. The spinner was a nightmare all its own. Highest noted rpm during tuning was 9070, ignition tach.

CG is somewhere between 160mm-165mm. Running two 2s 2000mah lipos, flanking a full tank, and all 3 fully forward. Cowl off. Ididn't want to add lead. Weighed in at 12.4lbs fully fueled and prepped.

I don't know how I got so lucky, didn't require a single click of trim on mechanically centered surfaces. Inverted is hands off. I will say, slightly tail heavy, as anything more than low rate elevator at low speed was pretty twitchy. Unnoticeable at higher speeds though, at which it became locked on rails and superbly predictable.

By the middle of the second flight I was landing to richen the high speed needle. It settled in on the 4th at 1 7/8. Nice tan on the plug. Touchy little carb though. 1/16 increments are almost too much. I'm at about 1500 ft ASL. Temps were roughly 60-65 outside.

I haven't really flogged it yet, but the dle20 certainly has the punch for spirited sport aerobatics. I'm not a 3D flyer, on this prop it might hover, but it won't climb itself out I'm sure.

It's good stuff, I'm happy with it. Maybe the hellcat or razorback next?

Quick Reply