Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

FAA Authorization for Recreational Regulations Update

Here is a recent AMA blog post and YouTube video describing the current status of Section 336 in FAA authorization.

Splash

Risk-Based Approach for Recreational Regulations Essential in Upcoming FAA Reauthorization

From the AMA

Today, AMA president Rich Hanson sent letters to the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate, requesting they consider a risk-based approach to regulating recreational unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). This would ensure the safe integration of UAS into the nation’s airspace while continuing to allow responsible model aircraft operators to fly safely.

Congressional Update for FAA Reauthorization - 9/19/2018 (2 min 44 sec)

It is still uncertain if Congress will pass an FAA Authorization bill by the September 30 deadline, but legislators have begun work to resolve some of the issues surrounding the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336), which may include remote ID requirements on some aircraft. Watch our latest congressional update for Section 336 in this video from Interim Executive Director, Chad Budreau.

We may be asking all of our members to email legislators soon, but at this time, we would like to encourage our members to call your legislators and share your love of the hobby. You can use this campaign to find the phone numbers of your senators and representatives and talking points for your conversation. We appreciate your assistance in these efforts and all of your support for model aviation. Please monitor AMA social media and modelaircraft.org for updates.

Link to the blog...

Sep 20, 2018, 12:28 PM
AeroDan
It’s great to see the AMA’s at least trying to fight for our cause. Too bad some reckless UAV’ers want to ruin it for us. I just hope we’re not limited to that “Alpha” balsa & foam free-flyer in the future. I live near a park less then a mile to the southeast of me where those are welcomed.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Sep 22, 2018 at 06:06 PM.
Sep 20, 2018, 01:27 PM
I was flying "in town " in a park in Ontario Canada . not at my club. (5min v.s 25min drive.) and a local police officer was watching for 20min. then he came over. I assumed he was looking up regulations
and how he could bust me. but nope. he stopped and watch me fly for 30min longer.
he had no idea of any restrictions or rules . he thought it looked awesome and he wants to get into the hobby.
as an honest person I made him aware of some of our rules and regulations. and even showed him my MAAC card .
I was flying a light weight 3d plane and it was 7am .
so the park was empty.
if I wasn't as experienced as I am I wouldn't fly there . but I'm a safe responsible flyer and only fly my big planes at my club.
I gave him a bunch of info on planes and where to start. and even offered him an "introduction to flying" with my trainer dx6e
besides him I've had 7 other people see me fly and stop to ask questions.
flying in public in the right circumstances can be benifical to the hobby drawing more customers into my local hobby shop .
but without the proper information these new pilots can cause a negative impact .
I've since put an add in my local buy and sell offering free lessons and introduction to flying
to help people out getting started. there's alot of pressure on my hobby shop to sell a product that can be dangerous and in the wrong hands create more hurdles .
not many people want to spend $90-$120 on a membership fee and MAAC $90 a year. only to crash a plane or drone and watch $100's go up in smoke.
YouTube vids from flitetest and other manufactures give a little help showing beginners the basics but flying solo for your 1st time can be intimidating and risky.
I'm currently teaching 4 people to fly including my 5yr old son. I let perfect strangers try when I'm at the park. hoping to get them interested.
this hobby needs a way to safely get people started.
it won't be long before you hear a story of a plane or drone lands in a busy road and causes an accident
Sep 20, 2018, 10:42 PM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
doug, I was flying a 30 size Glow heli in on a school oval 25 years ago and two Police Officers came up behind me and watched, I thought ah crap here we go, but when I landed they congratulated me on my flying and were just watching the show.
I never fly anything in parks here now and have joined a good club. The Rangers are well onto it all nowa days.
Sep 21, 2018, 01:39 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug14
I was flying "in town " in a park in Ontario Canada . not at my club. (5min v.s 25min drive.) and a local police officer was watching for 20min. then he came over. I assumed he was looking up regulations
and how he could bust me. but nope. he stopped and watch me fly for 30min longer.
he had no idea of any restrictions or rules . he thought it looked awesome and he wants to get into the hobby.
as an honest person I made him aware of some of our rules and regulations. and even showed him my MAAC card .
I was flying a light weight 3d plane and it was 7am .
so the park was empty.
if I wasn't as experienced as I am I wouldn't fly there . but I'm a safe responsible flyer and only fly my big planes at my club.
I gave him a bunch of info on planes and where to start. and even offered him an "introduction to flying" with my trainer dx6e
besides him I've had 7 other people see me fly and stop to ask questions.
flying in public in the right circumstances can be benifical to the hobby drawing more customers into my local hobby shop .
but without the proper information these new pilots can cause a negative impact .
I've since put an add in my local buy and sell offering free lessons and introduction to flying
to help people out getting started. there's alot of pressure on my hobby shop to sell a product that can be dangerous and in the wrong hands create more hurdles .
not many people want to spend $90-$120 on a membership fee and MAAC $90 a year. only to crash a plane or drone and watch $100's go up in smoke.
YouTube vids from flitetest and other manufactures give a little help showing beginners the basics but flying solo for your 1st time can be intimidating and risky.
I'm currently teaching 4 people to fly including my 5yr old son. I let perfect strangers try when I'm at the park. hoping to get them interested.
this hobby needs a way to safely get people started.
it won't be long before you hear a story of a plane or drone lands in a busy road and causes an accident
You’re doing the right thing, Doug. And you have the right “mindset”. Wish others were that way.
Sep 21, 2018, 02:53 PM
A man with too many toys
When most (including police) think of drones being for multirotors. When I fly airplanes no one calls them drones and no one thinks that drone rules should apply. Shows you how out of tough with public opinion FAA rules are.

Since they are mainly worried about multirotirs they need to split rules into two parts.

Sep 22, 2018, 08:29 AM
Video Juggernaut
I'll kneel at every FPV race in protest of these ridiculous regulations.
Sep 22, 2018, 10:50 AM
A man with too many toys
Maybe we need to send Trump a "Make RC Great Again" hat.
Sep 22, 2018, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Maybe we need to send Trump a "Make RC Great Again" hat.
With millions in donations and maybe he will care.
Sep 22, 2018, 05:26 PM
Even simpler - get Hillary or Chuck or Doofy DiFi or Mouthy Maxine to denounce RC.

Andy
Sep 22, 2018, 08:42 PM
I watch alot of right wing YouTube just to see the difference . and it's funny how corrupt people like Maxine and Hilary are and get away with it. I don't follow any politics up here in Canada but love watching your stuff. Mark Dice has alot of good content .
Sep 22, 2018, 10:37 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Really! You don't watch Airfarce?

- Roger
Sep 22, 2018, 10:39 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
I understand that Obama was planning on banning RC.

Pass that along to Trump, would you.

- Roger
Sep 23, 2018, 07:32 AM
A man with too many toys
Looks like they eliminated the 250g and 13 year old part of the law. Now anyone at any age can fly up to 55lb.

Sep 23, 2018, 10:56 AM
When I looked at the proposal, I came across a section that included “repeal 336”. I’m assuming, since the AMA is still trying to defend it, the section is still included within the proposal. Perhaps it’s just some verbiage within 336 they’re looking to repeal? If anyone else read that, please explain what it is they’re looking to “repeal”. Thank you!

Quick Reply