Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF 69.5" (HAN2820)

The Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF brings valiant tails of this warbird to life in a convenient 1/6-scale model with unrivaled authenticity, plus no compromise power-it-the-way-you-want-it expertise and versatility.

Splash

Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF

The Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF is an expertly crafted model that combines modern engineering, outstanding flight capability, plus no compromise power-it-the-way-you-want-it expertise to deliver a replica warbird with stunning looks. Modeled after Mustangs used by the 375th Fighter Squadron during WWII, it’s constructed in 1/6-scale with lightweight balsa and plywood for legendary durability.

Leading the list of stunning details is the expertly applied, satin-finish covering of the sleek airframe. The lightweight material captures within scale features like panel lines, rivets, nomenclature and distinct colors for a brilliant appearance that’s durable. Bringing out its authenticity even further is a well-appointed cockpit with a 3D instrument panel, an intricately painted pilot figure and faceted utility compartment. Cowling detail features a matching finish with scale inlets and exhaust, plus a matching spinner. Optional-use wing tanks can be attached on the included wing pylons, or removed to improve high-speed maneuverability. Functional shock-absorbing gear struts include trailing-link suspension and scale-style axles with room for large wheels that make flying from grass easier.

No matter how you look at it, this Mustang is an impressive model for its size. Its two-piece wings smoothly connect with the scale wing fillet and distinct air scoop to lock-in without any need for tools. Control surfaces feature airfoil-shape design for smoother flight, and scale hinge lines with factory drilled hinges for easy installation. You can take the scale experience higher by replacing the rugged fixed landing gear with E-flite® electric retracts available for both the main and tail wheel locations. Functional flaps allow for a wider flight envelope that includes shorter takeoffs and slower landing speeds.

A large top-hatch provides extensive interior access from the cockpit to the firewall. The included hardware package is complete to make assembly as simple as possible and provide easy-to-install mounting options for all the electric and engine power recommendations. No matter what power plant you install, handling in the air is impressive with a look and control feel that honors the original. Whether this is your first warbird, or the perfect complement to your collection, the Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 20cc ARF is the historic success story you’ve been looking for.

Features

• Expertly constructed with lightweight, laser-cut balsa and plywood
  • Finely detailed, satin-finish covering includes scale nomenclature, panel lines, and more
  • Two decal sets let you customize the trim in “Geraldine” or “Sky Bouncer” livery
  • Detailed cockpit includes a 3D instrument panel, expertly painted pilot bust and more
  • Rugged fixed landing gear with 4-inch wheels and realistic shock-absorbing struts (included)
  • Retract ready—optional E-flite® electric retracts available
  • Optional tail retract and closing doors (retract, sold separately)
  • Functional flaps expand the flight envelope and enhance scale functionality
  • Scale control surface hinge lines, gear doors, wing guns and antenna
  • Painted cowl with simulated engine and exhaust detail
  • Scale spinner with matching paint finish
  • Optional-use wing pylons with removable drop tanks (remote release sold separately)
  • Two-piece, plug-in wing for easy transport and final assembly
  • Large top-hatch offers complete access to the electronics and fuel tank
  • Complete hardware package includes everything for EP or gas power recommendations

Photos

For More Info

For pricing and more info head to Horizon Hobby...

Sep 20, 2018, 02:27 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Pre order made.
Sep 20, 2018, 07:43 PM
Great looking Mustang! So now thats out of the way get to working on a matching FW-190!!!!
Sep 21, 2018, 07:49 AM
Mustangs are great but there are not many other choices for war birds. I would love to see a Focke Wulf, A6M Zero, Messerschmitt BF 109 or a P-38 Lightning in this size.
Sep 21, 2018, 11:52 AM
DFS#000178
A 20cc P-38 would be enormous. The ESM has an 83" span for twin 46-size power. The Fliteline P-38 is only 6 inches smaller in span. There are nice P-38 options.

I'm not a huge Mustang fan but this one is really, really nice. $400 without the retracts is a bit steep but that's expected at this point.
Sep 24, 2018, 06:05 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
Oh the humanity! Not another Mustang !
Sep 25, 2018, 08:08 AM
Why can't Hangar 9 give german warbirds some love?
I mean, they have a 10cc, a 60cc and now 20cc Mustang in the line up, the biggest one might not be in active production, but it's still in stock.
Even their 30cc Spitfire, which sadly is discontinued, really set itself apart from other Spitfires in that class. The only competition was from ESM, though slightly bigger, and from Black horse models. That they discontinued it is really frustrating. I was about to pull the trigger on it for a nice winter project to marry my saito 200ti to something, but hey, lets flood the market with yet another Mustang.
Can't really blame HH/H9 though. The RC market is stiff and you gotta make money where you can, so releasing something to attract T28 carbon Z flyers or similar 6S interiors and enable them to just migrate the gear, makes a lot of sense.
Meanwhile, here I am just waiting for a warbird in the 1.8-2.2 class, which sadly, are virtually nonexistent these days.
Sep 25, 2018, 08:11 AM
From what I can tell from the pictures, it the neatest looking mustang in this class, I'll give em that.
Id be hard pressed to find a more detailed one in this size.
Sep 25, 2018, 01:05 PM
Here we go again with more Mustangs, don't get me wrong I like Mustangs but, I would have to agree with Bhodi11 & FlyBig Electric, I would like to see more German and Japanese planes on the market.

So com'on Hanger 9 & Great Planes get on the ball and give us a more variety of Warbirds.
Sep 25, 2018, 05:00 PM
I agree that the market is over served with Mustangs. I guess they must sell well! I only have two myself.
Latest blog entry: Su-30 second battery
Sep 25, 2018, 06:54 PM
I'm not a warbird guy, but I might just have to pull the trigger on this one. I'm a balsa guy through and through and hard to find good looking non-foam warbirds these days. Good job HH!
Sep 26, 2018, 07:29 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCS
From what I can tell from the pictures, it the neatest looking mustang in this class, I'll give em that.
Id be hard pressed to find a more detailed one in this size.
For a warbird of this size , why a retracting tail wheel is not an option....but it does look real nice
Sep 26, 2018, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra
For a warbird of this size , why a retracting tail wheel is not an option....but it does look real nice
Read under "Features" above.... Optional tail retract and closing doors (retract, sold separately)
Sep 26, 2018, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBigElectric
Mustangs are great but there are not many other choices for war birds. I would love to see a Focke Wulf, A6M Zero, Messerschmitt BF 109 or a P-38 Lightning in this size.
There are some other choices in 20cc size warbirds:
Hangar Nine has the P-47, and Hellcat currently available.
Phoenix has the Corsair, Spitfire, and Stuka
Seagull has the Zero, AT-6, Me-109 and Skyraider
VQ has the Skyraider, and SBD Dauntless
Big Planes (http://bigplanes.nl/en-uk/index.html) has several: BF-109, FW-190, Dauntless, F7F Tigercat, Aichi D3A1, Ki-84, AT-6 Texan
Sep 26, 2018, 10:28 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by Comrade_D; Jul 25, 2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply