Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

New Durafly EFX Racer Terracotta Edition

I've been a big fan of the EFX Racer planes since they first came out. I've reviewed both the original EFX Racer as well the 2nd Gen EFXtra with the clipped wing and larger fuselage. Now there's a 3rd generation version out that blends the two together.

Splash

A New EFX Racer Takes Flight

I've been a big fan of the EFX Racer planes since they first came out. I've reviewed both the original EFX Racer as well the 2nd Gen EFXtra with the clipped wing and larger fuselage. Now there's a 3rd generation version out that blends the two together.

The new Durafly EFX Racer takes the larger fuselage and motor of the EFXtra and matches it with the longer wing of the original racer to provide the speed, handling and agility you'd expect to see in a high performance racer. These things will handle like they are flying on rails giving you a locked in feel and confidence to fly aggressively down on the deck. I'm loving the new Terracotta orange and blue trim scheme and it's going to look great on the ground or blasting around at over 100MPH. The new EFX Racer is available right now at HobbyKing for $172.75.

Check out the New Durafly EFX Racer Terracotta Edition Here

Features:

• 100mph+ performance right out of the box (on 4S set-up)
  • High-quality AeroStar Brushless Motor and ESC
  • Powerful and fast 9g digital servos
  • Supplied with 8x6 propeller for 3S and 7x6.5 propeller for 4S set-ups
  • Super Compressed EPO foam construction
  • Glass and carbon fiber reinforcement throughout the airframe
  • No glue assembly. Just clicks and screws together in minutes
  • Ball link control system
  • Full complement of spare parts available

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 1100mm (43")
  • Length: 760mm (30.2")
  • Flying weight: 910g (32oz)
  • Motor: AeroStar 3536 1780KV Brushless Outrunner
  • Prop: 8x6 (3S) and 7x6.5 (4S) supplied
  • Battery: 1800mah 14.8V 4S (30C min) or 2200mah 11.1V 3S (30C min)
  • Servos: 4 x 9g digital servos (metal geared on ailerons)
  • ESC: AeroStar 60A
  • Controls: 4 Channel (Throttle, Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder)

Sep 20, 2018, 09:53 AM
Landing is not optional
Looks like they got outdone by HH to me. V900 is faster and cheaper. I'd love to have this one too but I just bought the V900 this week.
Sep 20, 2018, 09:56 AM
Don't forget - you still get %10 with the code hobbyking10...

That would make it €126 or so for me.

The V900 will be priced at €150, and who knows when it will be available...

But yes, I am intrigued by the V900, with reports of 120mph on 4S. Just a shame the battery hatch is so small....
Sep 20, 2018, 10:09 AM
Landing is not optional
Over here, the V900 PNP is $159 and the EFX after the discount would be $156. So, yes, about equal price. The V900 is already available and mine showed up at my house Tuesday. The actual hatch on the V900 is quite large, but the fuse is pretty small. But, my Admiral Pro 4s 2200mah fits perfectly in it.

Also, folks with the V900 have already recorded speeds of 131mph all stock with an 8x8 APC prop.
Sep 20, 2018, 10:11 AM
It's pretty amazing that it gets so much more speed on 4S than the EFXtra. Like %30 more if those figures are correct(and not just out of a dive with a super strong tailwind..)
Sep 20, 2018, 10:20 AM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
It's pretty amazing that it gets so much more speed on 4S than the EFXtra. Like %30 more if those figures are correct(and not just out of a dive with a super strong tailwind..)
I'll find out this weekend what it does straight and level. They "reported" it wasn't out of a dive but you know how that goes. One thing to remember is the V900 is 200mm less wingspan, so I am sure that helps with speed. Stock EFX planes have always surprised me that they weren't faster. I have a PZ P51 with a good motor on 4s that runs 106mph with a draggy airframe.

With all that said, I think the new EFX won in the looks dept! That orange and blue looks great and this one will probably still end up in my hangar if I confirm 4s 2200 packs will fit. I don't have any use for 1800 packs so if they are truly limited to those, that'll be a deal breaker.
Sep 20, 2018, 01:16 PM
I can put High C 22OO mah 4S in both my old EFX and EFXtra, I don't see any reason one couldn't with this new iteration...
Sep 20, 2018, 01:58 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Simon
I can put High C 22OO mah 4S in both my old EFX and EFXtra, I don't see any reason one couldn't with this new iteration...
That's very good news. Thanks!
Sep 21, 2018, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Im tempted to throw in my v900 motor in my efxtra for *KICKS* n giggles with an 8x8 prop to see what the 1260kv can do. If it still feels slower, then we can rul out the motor and attribute the speed difference more to the air frame

****RC groups is really strict on this profanity thing pretty interesting.
Last edited by Ron I; Sep 21, 2018 at 08:04 AM.
Sep 21, 2018, 12:04 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron I
Im tempted to throw in my v900 motor in my efxtra for *KICKS* n giggles with an 8x8 prop to see what the 1260kv can do. If it still feels slower, then we can rul out the motor and attribute the speed difference more to the air frame

****RC groups is really strict on this profanity thing pretty interesting.
Yeah, I got dinged for quoting profanity in a different language!

I quoted it asking what he was talking about! Heck, I didn't even know what it said but still received a warning for it. That is getting pretty bad there in my opinion!
Sep 21, 2018, 02:30 PM
(It's pretty amazing that it gets so much more speed on 4S than the EFXtra. Like %30 more if those figures are correct)

v900 Is a quite a bit smaller plane it's only 35 inch wingspan.
the EFxtra Is 38 inches and the EFX is 43 inches. It also has a lower KV motor that's why it's running a 8 by 8 prop.
Sep 21, 2018, 02:34 PM
With the same battery then, should you expect the EFX Racer to be noticeably slower than the EFXtra?
Sep 21, 2018, 05:39 PM
100% electric since 1990
Speed plane with outrunner seems weird. Also undersquare props. A 7x7 would be better for speed than an 8x6.

Id hop it up with a het typhoon or nue inrunner and aim for 150 mph plus on 4s

No, not using full sentences. Sorry.
Sep 22, 2018, 01:57 AM
Would this battery fit?

https://hobbyking.com/de_de/zippy-fl...-5s1p-40c.html

I'm slowly transitioning to 5S on my EFXtra - all stock.. Same with my Rare Bear. And I want a couple new batteries which I could use in both planes. Right now I only have two Graphene 5S 1500 65C's..(too small for the RB, which normally takes like 4S 3000 - 3700's...)

My Graphene 4S 2200 65C fits just so in the EFXtra. Trying to compare the dimensions on the HK website, but it's a bit confusing.. If you click on tech specs you get totally different figures...

https://hobbyking.com/de_de/graphene...5c-w-xt60.html
Sep 23, 2018, 07:31 PM
Mineral, VA
You will be very happy with 5s in the Rare Bear (bone stock). I run a 35c 2700mah Zippy Compact and it is the exact same size/weight as my 3300 4s Nano Techs 35-70c. Set timer to 3:30-4:00 and hold on! I just got my V900 and I am somewhat disappointed; I thought it would be faster than it is on 4s. I guess I didn't give the Bear enough credit. I've owned it for years and just got used to its speed on 5s. It still gives me goosebumps when it rips by, the V900 didn't. How am I gonna fix it? 5s 1500 with a 2-min timer!

Quick Reply