Sep 20, 2018, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Seaplane for me!

Two years ago, Dr. Mike Perpall gifted me his Hangar 9 Twin Otter. I love twins and that one is really special to me because she was a gift.

She is a dream to fly, but she is as rare as hens teeth so I don't often risk flying her. So... I began searching for another TWOTTER :-)

Found this one: https://vqwarbirds.com/product/vq-dhc-6-twin-otter-73/. She has lots of happy pilots too: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ter-Series-100 . And she is a beauty in the air:
RC-Planes - VQ Models Twin Otter - 90's Widerøe Livery (3 min 1 sec)

Ordered her this morning ...
Last edited by dgfinch; Sep 20, 2018 at 07:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2018, 05:01 PM
What color did you order? And you added the floats?
Sep 20, 2018, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
She will be Sunshine yellow, and yes, I HAD to order the yellow floats! Digital servos are enroute. The whole thing should be here by next Saturday. VQ Models has already given me a tracking number for the airframe!
Sep 21, 2018, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfinch
She will be Sunshine yellow, and yes, I HAD to order the yellow floats! Digital servos are enroute. The whole thing should be here by next Saturday. VQ Models has already given me a tracking number for the airframe!
Love the Yellow. Shows up well in the sky :-)
Sep 26, 2018, 04:56 AM
Thread OP
I have never purchased a VQ Model. I had questions about their construction and availability. I have to say I am impressed. Four days after ordering my new twin is here. It arrived in perfect condition, double boxed, and everything in the box. Construction begins ...
Sep 26, 2018, 10:30 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
What are you using for power?
Looks like a great bird!

Please post pics of your progress.
Sep 26, 2018, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
VQ Models calls for a Boost 25. (http://www.pichler.de/PDF/boost_brushless_tabelle.pdf). I am using a pair of Hacker A30-14L's on 3S. (https://hackermotorusa.com/shop/hack...s/a30-14-l-v3/). I haven't made up my mind about props yet, but I think probably 10x7x3 Master Air Screw props dependent on what the watt meter says.

Initially, I am planning to fly her on land in order to sort out trim and balance. Then I will fit her floats.
Sep 27, 2018, 09:25 AM
Thread OP

Motor nacelle work

I started the build last night. I finished the motor mounts. I chose to use a small piece of PVC pipe behind the motor. The model manual calls for using locking bolts without a support. My experience tells me that it might be better to support the motor more fully.
Sep 28, 2018, 11:49 AM
Quote:
I started the build last night. I finished the motor mounts. I chose to use a small piece of PVC pipe behind the motor. The model manual calls for using locking bolts without a support. My experience tells me that it might be better to support the motor more fully.
Good call, I have found similar issues with just using stand off mounts. I now always build a full baseplate mount for motors, especially gas motors
Sep 28, 2018, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Got her tail feathers mounted and their linkages completed this morning. I got her nose wheel mounted and installed a separate nose wheel steering servo for it.

Other people who have built this model reported that she was tail heavy (2 ounces is the least amount of weight that I read). I am going to try to overcome that by making a battery tray that extends into the nose cone. Hopefully mounting her batteries forward will eliminate the dead for dead weight.

Coming along ...
Oct 01, 2018, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Got her tail feathers mounted and their linkages completed this morning. I got her nose wheel mounted and installed a separate nose wheel steering servo for it.

Other people who have built this model reported that she was tail heavy (2 ounces is the least amount of weight that I read). I am going to try to overcome that by making a battery tray that extends into the nose cone. Hopefully mounting her batteries forward will eliminate the dead for dead weight.

Coming along ...
Can't wait to see her ! On land and sea !

Quick Reply