Mar 05, 2002, 08:14 AM
Thread OP

4mm Collet for Graupner 42mm spinner

Is there a collet for the Graupner 42mm precision spinner to fit a 4mm motor shaft. It came with one for a 5mm shaft. I would rather not make an adapter to go from 4mm to the 5mm collet size as it will be used on an Astro FAI 05 cobalt with gearbox and large prop in a powered sailplane.

Failing that I will use another spinner.

cheers, Graham
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2002, 09:11 AM
Yes.. call Hobby Lobby, or Kirk @ New Creations..
..a
Mar 05, 2002, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, I looked in the hobby Lobby catalog but didn't see anything for the 42mm spinner, but I did for the smaller sized (30MM I think spinner). Perhaps I will need to call Kirk.

Problem is the big spinner all seem to be for
5mm or 6mm shafts and the astro motors are 5/32
(4mm) even with the 4.4:1 geabox. The Freudenthaler blades/spinners/yokes etc do have the 4mm mount however. But I already have the Graupner spinner and would like to use it as first choice but you know, best laid planes of mice and men and all that.

Thanks, Graham
Mar 05, 2002, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Just had another look at the Hobby Lobby web site. I found something that might be what I need graupner GR288/1. Listed as for the Scimitar props. I have a couple at home and have close look to see if the parts are interchangeable between the two type of props. May be just what I am looking for.

Thanks again, Graham
Mar 05, 2002, 10:01 AM
No, there is no 4mm spinner/yoke combo, but there is a 4mm collet availble seperately for the above products, so you need to buy that also..
..a
Mar 05, 2002, 12:39 PM
Graupner Stock.No. 288.1 is the item you are looking for. Jürgen
Mar 05, 2002, 01:19 PM
i have a similar problem. i'm trying to adapt the 60mm graupner spinner to a 3.2mm shaft. i have ordered part number GR288/4 from hobby lobby. it's a collet for 3.2 to 4mm shafts and 6mm prop holes. i plan to adapt the 6mm prop shaft to the 10mm spinner hole via spacer rings. i'll let you know how it goes.
Mar 07, 2002, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
Well I ask the question, I did some more digging and this is what I found out.

Graupner GR288/1 is not the right part to convert the 13x7 cam folder with precision spinner to 4mm shafts. The precision spinner's part number is GR6042/5.

GR288/1 is the correct part to conver the 11x7.5 grey scimitar folding prop to 4mm. I have the 11x7.5 and tried the collet. It is made of aluminum and much larger in diamter than the steel collet that comes with precision spinner. So that doesn't work. there is another Graupner part to convert the smaller folding scimitar props to 4mm shafts but I haven't one so I can't compare but it too is made of alumininum. The collets in the precision spinners are made of steel.

So, I am kind of stuck. I could make an adapater (brass or aluminum tube made to fit over shaft and in collet) but I would rather not. I think I will get a RFM spinner for a 4mm shaft and use the Graupner for something else.

There is also the HM Lightspinner that looks intersting. Anyone have any experience with these?

cheers, Graham
Mar 07, 2002, 01:06 PM
Oops, I must have overlooked the "precision" bit.
Why don`t you want to use the grey GRP spinner? The 13x7" blades should fit there too.
I also use the HM (Helmut Meyer) spinner system on various models, but you can't get the same cone shape as the Graupner. Jürgen
Mar 07, 2002, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
Good question. I want to be flexible enough to
run it low power or high power. My plan is to set it up to fly with 7 or 10 cells in our provisonal F5J type events.

I will be using an ASTRO cobalt FAI 05 with 4.4:1 gearbox initially at somewhere between 30 and 35 amps. turning 15 inch diameter by 13 or 15 inch pitch. Perhaps upgrading to a brushless system at some point. I didn't think the grey props would be up to the task nor available in those diameters or pitch. .

I have a RFM spinner and blades on order and the graupner will be used for something else. I don't want to play around with half measures making the graupner work, I would rather have it set up properly and save the headaches.

cheers, Graham
Mar 08, 2002, 07:42 AM
You can run both spinners at low and high power systems. Even the grey spinner will cope with 500W. The Cam Carbon blades from Graupner will fit, so will the Aeronaut ones (sometimes require some minor material removal). Jürgen
Mar 08, 2002, 01:11 PM
Sometimes it works!
The way I cope with this is to use a piece of 5mm O.D., 4mm I.D brass tubing (Hobby Lobby #HLRE0503) on the shaft with a touch of locktite. Works great.

Quick Reply