This thread is privately moderated by Sopwith Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 06, 2019, 03:51 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Actually, I was thinking of stretching the Lanc into a Lincoln.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2019, 06:38 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
That would be a worthy challenge! Same scale?
Mar 07, 2019, 03:05 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
I got the plans scanned to 80" span, which makes the Lincoln nearly 100". Four Park 480s and a 3 cell 5000 would be enough. The problem is how to get the structure strong enough to support the battery in the nose. The fuselage is quite slim around the wing and the mass of the battery that far forward might be too much unless I land very carefully.
Mar 07, 2019, 08:26 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Amazingly, the set of parts for the 100" Lancaster used by Mike Pirie in 2002 for his model is still available, this time from Sarik Hobbies here. They lack the mid-upper turret, because the original plan was for the B1 Special, the Upkeep version, where that turret was deleted to save weight. But the rest of the parts including nacelles, cowls, spinners, wheel hubs and glazing is all there.
Apr 21, 2019, 02:24 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
A few pictures from Ivan with his latest Lakemaster, two from 31 March and two a couple of days earlier.

"Beautiful conditions this week and this morning was one of the best."
Apr 21, 2019, 02:29 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
A new Chipmunk as a first time scratch build is some achievement, so congratulations to Lanny Kalnin from Langley Township in BC on the maiden of his model on 16 April. It's #168 in the Hall of Fame on page 1. His build is here
Apr 21, 2019, 02:46 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nice models Mike !

Cheers,

Bart
Jul 01, 2019, 09:21 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
English Ivan-builder Mike Rawlings has a new Albatross, featured on the cover of our RCM&E magazine. He took it to a fly-in at Ullswater in the English Lake District and his immaculate building skills and superb flying got him top billing. His earlier Albatross is in Luke's Hall of Fame, so this new one gets a place on page 1.
Jul 01, 2019, 04:01 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
I got the plans scanned to 80" span, which makes the Lincoln nearly 100". Four Park 480s and a 3 cell 5000 would be enough. The problem is how to get the structure strong enough to support the battery in the nose. The fuselage is quite slim around the wing and the mass of the battery that far forward might be too much unless I land very carefully.
I don't think you'll have any trouble with a 3S 5000mah pack in the nose Mike. I think I'd just make sure the fus sides are cross braced as girders and carry on as normal.
If you remember seeing my Stirling, I did nothing special by way of strengthening the nose and the batteries in that weighed about a pound and a half! With some of the heavy landings I did on that I half expected the removable nose section to remove itself... but it never did.
Incidentally I just put the model up for sale on the BMFA website classifieds. Couldn't stand a model like that not getting flown!

Robin
Jul 10, 2019, 11:24 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Here's something you don't see every day!

It does look like the big Ivan Solent, but very over-engineered and probably much heavier than spec. The fin and rudder don't look quite right either - perhaps he was making it as a Sandringham.

A trip to sunny Cornwall would provide all the answers.
Jul 11, 2019, 06:36 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Well, the pictured plans are Ivan's..................
Aug 12, 2019, 06:36 PM
Electric Coolhunter
While I am not the builder. I am the curator and owner/pilot for a 82" Short Solent 400 from Ivan's plan's.

The building credit goes to CaptAhab from the Houston area and to Dave Graben, who converted it to brushless after buying the aircraft.

It is up to around 25-26 flights and gets brought out to two or three float fly events each year, plus some rare appearances at other events where it is flown carefully off the grass. Flying it is simply a great pleasure. It was last out to the lake on Aug 4, for our club summer float fly.

Sopwith Mike, could you please add this aircraft to the picture set in this thread, to honor some outstanding work by CaptAhab and Dave Graben?
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 12, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Aug 13, 2019, 11:20 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
With great pleasure Thomas B. Marvellous photos of a very lovely aircraft. Long may she fly
Aug 13, 2019, 11:39 AM
I enjoyed following the build thread of that model a few years back. Good to know that it is at last being flown.
Aug 20, 2019, 05:06 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Ivan getting ready to fly his Shoestring 43 at the Chilliwack strip.

I'm here for a week or so over the 50th Fly-in on Saturday and Sunday.

Quick Reply