This thread is privately moderated by Sopwith Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 03, 2018, 02:48 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZC
I have failsafe set up to go all surfaces neutral and throttle cut. Almost had a plane fly away once so I learned that lesson real quick. I'll double check to make sure it's not set up to give full right aileron.
The thing is that both of the times I've encountered this glitch it has been immediately after applying right aileron. As you can see in the video I have started my right turn, then it locks out and applies full aileron in the same direction that I was starting the turn to.
My thought was the motors didn't stop; but aileron went to one end of travel could failsafe values for aileron & throttle channel be reversed ie throttle = hold & aileron =zero????
Another thought - commonest failure mode of a servo is full to one side. Not necessarily every time. Changing the servo is cheap while you work through other possibilities.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2018, 03:32 PM
96RC/3178W
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
My thought was the motors didn't stop; but aileron went to one end of travel could failsafe values for aileron & throttle channel be reversed ie throttle = hold & aileron =zero????
Another thought - commonest failure mode of a servo is full to one side. Not necessarily every time. Changing the servo is cheap while you work through other possibilities.
Thats definitely something to look at. Curiously though, my friends P-38 with his Taranis and his X8R receiver encounter the same glitch like I stated, but I know for a fact that he doesn't have any failsafe set up. So my radio with my failsafe encountered the same condition as my friends radio without failsafe in two different places with different servos, different receivers and different transmitters. If there wasn't these similarities in the two incidents I would have already replaced the servo. I'll confirm all my programming to double-check.
Nov 23, 2018, 08:35 AM
Just a thought - you appeared to be standing alongside a large earthed open frame metal structure? If the glitch occurred when the structure was between you and the model, or nearly so, then the line-of-sight radio link may have been disrupted.
Nov 23, 2018, 05:49 PM
96RC/3178W
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHK1ECG
Just a thought - you appeared to be standing alongside a large earthed open frame metal structure? If the glitch occurred when the structure was between you and the model, or nearly so, then the line-of-sight radio link may have been disrupted.
That is a good thought! Unfortunately the other time this exact glitch happened was at an RC field with no structure near me. The metal structure definitely could of had an effect otherwise.
Dec 14, 2018, 11:10 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Ivan's Mossie. Been flying for 10 years now. Out and about today. Still a joy.
Last edited by nickchud; Dec 14, 2018 at 12:34 PM.
Dec 21, 2018, 02:31 AM
Owner - Flying Models

Ivan's Plans are back

Hi All,

Ivan and I wanted to let you all in on some good news regarding availability of his plans over the next few months while he is traveling. In an effort to alleviate any potential inconvenience to his fans, we recently worked up an arrangement to offer his plans available again.

All of Ivan's plans are now available exclusively through the Flying Models plans site, http://store.flying-models.com.

Not only does this mean you can order, and receive, Ivan's plans again before April, our partnership will also free up his time for a bit of well deserved rest, as well as some more designing, building and flying, once he returns home.

Yes, there are some inevitable changes.

First, there are more plans! In addition to the old favorites, Ivan passed along a couple of previously unlisted plans from his collection. One is a 36-inch version of his Richard Pearse monoplane, based on his first proof of concept model of this unique pioneering design. The second plan now readily available is his Helio Courier. Spanning 53 inches, his prototype weighed just over 10 ounces, and was designed for indoor flying. It has functional LE slats, as well as flaps. Yes, I know that Ivan had sold these plans in the past, but they were not on his web site for all to see.

I am also working to stitch together his separate sheets wherever practical. For instance, Ivan's Martin Mars plan set previously included seven sheets measuring 24x36 inches. That set is now just 3 sheets, with previously separated components rejoined on larger sheets. This will save you the taping trouble, and help avoid accidental misalignments.

You will also notice a general cleanup of http://IvansPlans.com, part of which included posting his construction notes for free download. You can now get an idea of the building process for a more informed decision. Downloading his notes will also mean lower shipping charges for you in those cases where including 8-10 sheets of paper may have pushed the weight into the next category.

Speaking of shipping, US customers will now enjoy 2-3 day priority mail service on their orders, and will receive their Ivan's plans rolled instead of folded. International orders will still be folded. Shipping charges for all orders are based on the actual postal rates.

As per all Flying Models plan orders, a second copy of any plan is available for half price at the time of the original purchase, so you can cut up a set for templates. Most plans can also be scaled, i you prefer to build to a different size.

Please let me know if you have any questions or special requests, and happy building!

Thayer
Last edited by Thayer; Dec 21, 2018 at 02:40 AM.
Dec 21, 2018, 03:53 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nice work Thayer and Ivan ! this should give Ivan some rest and ensure's the availability of those magnificent plans.

Cheers,

Bart
Dec 21, 2018, 05:58 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
That's great news Thayer, Thank you (and Ivan) very much.
Dec 21, 2018, 03:55 PM
Parkcityflier
Great work Thayer. I've built two of his planes and keep thinking about another some day. For now, though, I'm probably going to build another plane, not one of his, but using Ivan's technique all the way so I guess that it will be a hybrid.

Jim
Dec 21, 2018, 07:47 PM
Thanks so much Thayer for updating Ivan's site, which I find so much more easier to navigate now while still keeping the charming simplicity of the early 21st century design. And most of all thank you for offering to sell his plans through Flying-Models - that will be a boon to Ivan, a great convenience to his customers, and a gift to the entire Ivan community generally.

Ivan has a great group of champions and supporters nearly unequaled in the hobby today. Here's hoping enthusiasm for his wonderful designs and old-time building style will continue in the years and decades ahead.
Dec 21, 2018, 09:54 PM
Owner - Flying Models
Thanks for all your kind words Luke. Hopefully you will be able to find some more time for modeling soon. Your enthusiasm has been missed.

Thayer
Dec 25, 2018, 12:53 PM
build like there is no 2moz
Merry Christmas to all Ivan Builders :-) and off course the Amazing Man himself. May the new year bring many hours of happy building and flying
Dec 25, 2018, 04:34 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Plus one, as they say on RCG.

I have made one plane already today...
Jan 31, 2019, 09:16 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
Plus one, as they say on RCG.

I have made one plane already today...
Presumably converted to electric power Mike?
Mar 06, 2019, 09:17 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP

Ivan's Lancaster

I was idly* searching for information on the Lanc when I came across some additional pictures of the Mike Pirie "Grand Slam" version on the 4 Max website here. It's a shame Mike has not popped up on the Ivan's threads. I wonder if he is still building and flying?

A bit more googling located his description of the build here. Unfortunately the photos have disappeared into the ether, but the writing is clear enough. It also confirmed that this is a Scottish build, via the Aberdeen and District Soarers.

*when I say "idly" I am looking for a new large model project...

Quick Reply