Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Sopwith Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 25, 2018, 01:48 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
I've been through my archives and have added a lot more of Ivan's originals to the Hall of Fame. Some of them I've never seen - the Lancaster for instance - and some are unpublished fun fly models.

What an inspiration he is!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2018, 05:12 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
A beautiful autumn day at our field saw Trevor, Malcolm and me flying Ivan's designs. We flew the Rapide and Express together and although the results were very enjoyable we have yet to do this formation flying in front of a pro cameraman.
Oct 02, 2018, 08:25 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Just wandered through the independent book store looking for a Model Mag for a print read fix.

November 2018 issue of MAN has an article by Ivan entitled "Let's get wet" on p26-38. It includes pictures of Mars & Solent by Beverly Hudson.
Oct 03, 2018, 12:00 PM
Parkcityflier
Mike, your Express is a real classic with the markings on it now.

Jim
Oct 24, 2018, 04:04 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Ivan says:

“As of Nov 15th, I will be taking a break from mailing plans for a period of about 3 months. Anyone anticipating the purchase of plans during that time might want to order soon, before that notice comes into effect.”

He also says that they have had marvellous autumn weather so have still been flying far more than usual for this time of year when they are into the rainy season. The Lake has been wonderful for floats.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Oct 25, 2018 at 03:15 AM.
Nov 01, 2018, 05:12 PM
96RC/3178W
Experienced an aileron lock-out with John's (mountainman2442) Solent this summer while testing a continuous-rotation servo FPV set up. Luckily I regained control and the wings didn't fold in the recovery. Cool thing is I have it on video:

RC PLANE: Near Crash after Radio Lock-Out (2 min 32 sec)

Apologies about the text about this thread and my own thread, it seems all I ever get as far as youtube comments are 'how high does it go' and 'where is this?' so I'm trying to kill some of those questions right off the bat haha.
Last edited by MattZC; Nov 01, 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Nov 02, 2018, 02:23 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Excellent video and explanation. I thought that the best orientation for the aerial was vertical wrt to the TX?
Nov 02, 2018, 03:09 PM
96RC/3178W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
Excellent video and explanation. I thought that the best orientation for the aerial was vertical wrt to the TX?
I was afraid of the vertical position as I thought it would be more likely to point directly at the aircraft. I will probably switch to vertical and see if I ever encounter any more glitches. I always thought sideways was the compromise of vertical up or down. Time for a change I suppose, haha.
Nov 02, 2018, 04:24 PM
Electric baptism 1975
The best antenna position depends on radio position, how your body moves when you fly & where you keep the plane in the sky. Having another flyer observe you re antenna vs model might provide insights.
Some people angle the antenna up, some down so it is 45 degree to ground. In the old days of 27(before 72), signal loss was frequent & combatted by immediately holding the Tx as high and as vertical as possible. Todays links are SO much better we take it for granted.
Nov 03, 2018, 06:47 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Matt, I assume that your nervousness of the vertical aerial was because of the possible losing of signal when the model is overhead - but you will at that point be leaning backwards and the model will be nearest to you. Flying directly overhead is generally frowned upon for safety reasons of course.
I hold my Tx at a slight angle so that the aerial set at 45 degrees up on the Tx is usually around vertical. Never had a glitch yet (that I have noticed) - with my Futaba 6EX.

How come your glitch was aileron only? Or did I misunderstand?

Robin
Nov 03, 2018, 09:45 AM
96RC/3178W
Thanks for the comments! The glitch was aileron only, both times this has happened to me. Once was with a VQ P-38 (Friend's transmitter and receiver, still the same model Taranis and X8R) immediately after take off was the same full right aileron for about a second. That time was obviously at a flying field so some geological factor is ruled out. I was hoping some other Taranis guys have had this same aileron deflection to determine that the reason it's aileron-only is a Taranis thing.

EDIT: Now I'm not sure it was aileron only in the glitch. Watching the video again I think it is possible that I lost all other functions as well, however all other functions just locked where they were, and only the ailerons went rogue. This scenario is more likely due to the very small imputes required to fly this plane that at nearly any point there's never that much input that could cause a problem if the signal was to drop.

It is also worth noting that you can see before the glitch that I fly by the dock where I am flying from and I am directly 90 degrees with the antenna pointing right at the aircraft for at least a second before the glitch while I'm flying away from myself.
Last edited by MattZC; Nov 03, 2018 at 09:52 AM.
Nov 03, 2018, 11:06 AM
Electric baptism 1975
If you lost radio connection should the surfaces not go to a position determined by "failsafe"? What are your failsafe settings on the Taranis? The throttle should have gone to zero.
Nov 03, 2018, 12:02 PM
The trouble is we check the failsafe settings by turning the Tx off, so the signal just vanishes cleanly. However in real life, when the signal becomes weak and/or corrupted it’s harder to predict how the receiver will behave before it gives up and goes to failsafe. I’m trying to help a clubmate chase down similar spasmodic behaviour (albeit with a Spektrum Tx and Orange Rx!). Thankfully though this is a foamie slope soarer so there’s not quite as much at stake!

Trevor
Nov 03, 2018, 12:55 PM
96RC/3178W
I have failsafe set up to go all surfaces neutral and throttle cut. Almost had a plane fly away once so I learned that lesson real quick. I'll double check to make sure it's not set up to give full right aileron.
The thing is that both of the times I've encountered this glitch it has been immediately after applying right aileron. As you can see in the video I have started my right turn, then it locks out and applies full aileron in the same direction that I was starting the turn to.

Quick Reply