This thread is privately moderated by Sopwith Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 18, 2018, 04:37 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Discussion

Ivan Pettigrew Models second thread

This is the second Ivan Pettigrew Planes thread. The first, hosted for 11 years by LukeZ introduced all of us to the subtle delights of building and flying lightweight electric powered scale models and brought Ivan’s design, engineering, flying and communication skills to a wide audience. This was developed over 230 pages with nearly 3,500 posts and practically half a million views.

One of the highlights of the thread is the “Hall of Fame”, a pictorial record of all known successful first flights by an Ivan’s model. This has now reached its capacity of 150 photographs, and at the same time Luke has said that he would like to hand on the hosting. So here we are: a new thread and a new Hall of Fame. There’s no better way to start than to repeat some of Luke’s opening remarks, which are an excellent introduction to the thread.

“Ivan has designed some unique and beautiful aircraft and offers his plans for sale. He has a particular affinity for flying boats, but you will find all types on his site. In addition to his designs you will find a couple of his very educational essays concerning flying boat design and multi-engine electric models. All of his aircraft are known for being lightweight, and possessing scale flying characteristics. In short they fly quite gracefully as you will see in the videos posted below. Construction of his models harks back to free-flight designs you may have encountered in the past, which is to say, simple, strong, and lightweight.”

Luke’s original thread here will remain open but not active. It’s the primary source of a large number of build threads which go into amazing detail on techniques, materials and advice and a mass of historical information.

If you decide to build one of Ivan's aircraft, please let us all know. Start a thread or post some pictures, and if you do, PM or email me a link and I'll add it here.

Finally, thanks are due to Luke for his guidance and influence throughout his thread, never failing to give support to aspiring builders, encouragement and praise to those whose models made it to his Hall of Fame.

Mike
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Sep 18, 2018 at 04:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2018, 04:39 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Here goes:
Ivan's Website: Ivan's Plans

Fly-ins: There is a twice-yearly “Wet and Dry” fly-in at Chilliwack, the last weekends in May and August where many of Ivan’s models will be flown. In the UK there is an annual Ivan’s fly-in on a suitable summer weekend also with a grass field and water flying sites.

Videos: New videos can be uploaded to the existing Ivan Pettigrew Video thread here.

Ivan in Europe: Live in Britain or western Europe, and feel left out? Don't be! Check out the BIMBO thread for the UK Hall of Fame as well as additional "Spirit of Ivan" photos, and discussion of all things Ivan from our side of the pond.

Articles by Ivan: Ivan has written some informative and helpful articles which you can read on his website, Flying From Water has been updated in 2018, Multi-Engine Flying Models and full specs on all his models.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Sep 18, 2018 at 04:48 AM.
Sep 18, 2018, 04:45 AM
Slip the surly bonds...

The Hall of Fame part 2

Starting at #151, here are pictures of the various Ivan's planes that have been built and flown. Anyone who has built and flown a model from Ivan's designs qualifies for the Hall of Fame! Send me your picture and I'll post it here.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Oct 03, 2018 at 11:48 AM.
Sep 18, 2018, 04:48 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Spare
Sep 18, 2018, 10:53 AM
Parkcityflier
Good start, Mike, and thanks for getting the Hall of Fame going again. I built my first Ivan design, a Solent, years ago and would have had a hard time doing it without referring to the build thread of the plane that Luke had posted on his Solent. Ivan's designs will always be special and I hope someday to do another since both of my previous ones have long since met their end.

Jim
Sep 18, 2018, 12:40 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Good to see you resume Luke's thread. Maybe it can be a sticky like luke's thread was for a long time.

Cheers,

Bart
Sep 18, 2018, 03:27 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Good start Mike. I'm posting her to be sure that I get the notifications. I would be lost without my Ivan Pettigrew connections. And thank you Luke.

Nick
Sep 19, 2018, 08:11 AM
Good luck Mike , joe
Sep 19, 2018, 12:21 PM
It is a sticky now ! well done . . .

Bart
Sep 20, 2018, 04:29 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Congratulations to LukeZ on the years of running the old thread.... and to Mike for taking up the torch with this one!
Light flight for ever! (well, a long time anyway)
Robin
Sep 20, 2018, 10:57 AM
Hear, hear! Luke, please do stay in touch. I’m sure you will return to aeromodelling one day - long periods of remission from the bug are quite common but total cures are rare indeed.
Sep 24, 2018, 04:46 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
I was looking at the first Hall of Fame the other day and realised that there were quite a few of Ivan's original models that were not recorded and a couple of builders whose models had missed Luke's eagle eye.

It's quite a list, with perhaps the very attractive Angel twin pusher being right up there at the top. This aircraft was designed by mission aviation engineer Carl Mortensen and must have been close to Ivan's heart because of his extensive work as a mission pilot. For some reason he has not published the plans.
Sep 25, 2018, 03:08 AM
Here is Ivan with that model : at 1:20

Ivan Pedigrew flys his planes 2A2010 (6 min 15 sec)

Cheers,

Bart
Sep 25, 2018, 03:38 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thanks for posting that Bart. I was adding to the H of F last night when the Wi-Fi was turned off...

There are some great models to add, including the Richard Pearce monoplane in the video.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Sep 25, 2018 at 12:23 PM.
Sep 25, 2018, 11:44 AM
Not to mention the version he brought over to the UK and left in my custody.

Trevor

Quick Reply