Jan 03, 2005, 08:59 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
JBC, you're right , but I'm way too cheap to buy foam safe ca to glue hinges in with , plus I prefer a sealed hinge line , reducing drag and making the control surface more efficient ..... mostly cheapo though ....hahahaha
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2005, 09:03 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
JBC, you're right , but I'm way too cheap to buy foam safe ca to glue hinges in with , plus I prefer a sealed hinge line , reducing drag and making the control surface more efficient ..... mostly cheapo though ....hahahaha
GWS glue and other, similar foam-safe contact cements (UHU) work well, too... I've used hot glue for field repairs of torn-off control surfaces...

But I agree, tape is quick, cheap and easy. I'll have to try a little sanding next time and see if it cures the tempered foam / tape release problem.
Jan 03, 2005, 09:21 AM
gpw
gpw
Gbond.. I've decided to taper the Spruce fuselage (every effort to save weight)... will be tapering just like I taper my Arrows, with a small block plane and a pencil ...plus I found some 3mm Dep ,that I can use for the tail surfaces.... I am removing the skin on the standups and sanding them to a sorta' rounded shape ....trying to get it light enough for the lps system ... what a neat little plane !!!! Thanks Gbond!!!!!

I've been using Pacer Formula 560 canopy cement , not only to glue small parts , but to assemble any Dep or skinned foam ... slow drying ,but nearly invisible , light and really seems to stick well ... haven't run across GWS or UHU CC here ...????is it really that good ???should I get some ???
Last edited by gpw; Jan 03, 2005 at 09:25 AM.
Jan 03, 2005, 09:55 AM
I picked up a tube a while back, because Gene kept talking about it in different posts. I know people are wierd about there favorite glues and I was a total skeptic of the UHU Creative, but was sold on it after putting together a Uni-Fuse with it. Not one of my zipper notches were square and some didn't even line up, but the UHU creative holds them together so tight you can't even see the seam in some spots. It is not for everything but I couldn't imagine doing anything boxed without it. Very light and strong also.
Jan 03, 2005, 11:37 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Yes, the UHU Creativ is good stuff. I can't remember if it was Michael's or Hobby Lobby that caries it, since ours are right next to each other. I like to use it where I used to use 3M-77 sprayed in a cup and brushed on. This is basically anywhere were hot-glue would cool faster than I can assemble it. Works as well, or better. I just picked up some other UHU glue, can't remember... almost, but not quite as good. Can't let it get fully dry before joining.

Here it is, Twist & Glue: http://www.saunders-usa.com/uhu/ looks like you can order on-line... But, it seems one of the on-line HS's was offering GWS glue cheap, as well... Maybe Balsapr.com ?

I have never been patient enough for 560 to dry seems like a week or so drying time!
Jan 03, 2005, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Yes, the UHU Creativ is good stuff. I can't remember if it was Michael's or Hobby Lobby that caries it, since ours are right next to each other. http://www.saunders-usa.com/uhu/ looks like you can order
Gene, the link you provided shows 6 different types of UHU Creativ. Which one do you use?

Cardboard & Craft Paper
Metal, Glass & Jewelry
Styrofoam®, Film & Foils
Mosaic
Wood & Natural Materials
Plastics & Miniatures

Thanks,

Felix
Jan 03, 2005, 01:39 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
The styro version: http://www.saunders-usa.com/uhu/prod...9&prod_id=9025 Sorry for the confusion.
Jan 03, 2005, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
The styro version: http://www.saunders-usa.com/uhu/prod...9&prod_id=9025 Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks Gene. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Felix
Jan 03, 2005, 06:56 PM
gpw
gpw
me too !!! will get some!!! Thanks !!! Gbond... you know some stuff !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 03, 2005, 07:35 PM
gym blu under construction.
are there any plans for the pfc in pdf format?
i am using depron. should i use a bamboo skewer and/or tape to stiffen the wing?
if so, where do i put it? under the wing near the cg?
i think i saw some parkflyers that had a sort of a WWI looking thread rigging
Jan 03, 2005, 09:01 PM
RTF weight- 5.54 ounces. That's mostly because I used a dual IPS I had laying around.

Not that I'll need the extra power, but I've found that "need" has very little to do with it.
Jan 03, 2005, 10:17 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
robbie: PM with an email address, and I can send the PFC plans in pdf. Let me know if you want tiled or full sheet. I don't want to post someone else's plans here, and it's not a foamie anyway There's no reinforcement needed on the wing at this weight. Just temper the foam with a heat gun to strengthen it.

jbc: Should be fine with that weight. Definately overpowered with an IPS-D, Heck, I'm down a prop size on the IPS! 9x4.7 instead of 10x4.7
Jan 04, 2005, 07:09 AM
do you have to temper the wing???
Jan 04, 2005, 07:42 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
I'm afraid if you don't temper the wing it will be too flexible. You could leave the skin on instead, or add some tape, but it gets heavy, fast!
Jan 04, 2005, 07:47 AM
thanks gene,im starting mine wed,[day off] i have no heat gun but ill try the wifes hair-drier.

Quick Reply