Sep 16, 2018, 03:56 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP
Build Log

Goldwing (ARF brand) Yak-55M V2 30cc Electric powered

I bought this plane a while ago but only now decided to assemble it.
This is my first Goldwing kit, actually it is part of a second line of GW kits called ARF.
I ordered from General Hobby, as usual at a very nice price for a plane this size.
Ronaldo

Airplane specs according to manufacturer:
Specifications:
Wing Span: 73''(1860mm)
Length:Including spinner 68''(1730mm)
Wing Area:1023 in2(66dm2)
Flying Weight: 9.7-11lbs(4400-5000g)
Gas Power:26-38cc gas DLE30 DLE35
Electric Power:1900-2200Watt electric motor
ESC:80-100A

RADIO:4CH/4-6S

Features:
Improved stainless steel axles
Flat nylon hinges for better flying strength
Larger aileron and elevator design. Up to 60 degrees of throw on all control surfaces for excellent 3D aerobatic flying
Increased diameter carbon fiber wing tube over previous versions.

Plane on Goldwing's website:

My setup:
Covering film used on this plane (exact match):
Other materials:*** My Turnigy G160 is rewound with thicker copper wire for more power and efficiency. You cannot extract the same power from the original G160 and will risk burning it if you try.
Last edited by ronaldopn; Sep 30, 2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Adding more information.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2018, 04:15 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP

Kit details

Some pictures showing details of the kit. Airframe looks very straight and true.
Opening the hardware bag showed a nice content: CF tail gear, nice fiberglass horns, nylon gas engine mounts, throttle servo tray, ball links, adjustable rods, complete pull pull hardware, stainless steel wheel axles, rubber wheels and metal servo arms.
Ronaldo
Last edited by ronaldopn; Sep 22, 2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Adding more details.
Sep 16, 2018, 04:36 PM
I always enjoy your off brand planes you put together, very interesting
Sep 16, 2018, 04:39 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Hi Ronaldo,

Always look forward to one of your builds with alternative gear. Looks a bit like an old school pattern model. Very cool and looks pretty nice quality too.

I would be a bit concerned about a 20 x 10 on a motor with 222kv! Looking at peaks of 90 plus amps an 4000 watts in. I have a Dualsky 6360 with a 218kv and it pulls well over 3000 watts in on a 20 x 8. You would get much better punch with a lower pitch too.

Good luck with your build and cant wait for your video.

Chris
Sep 16, 2018, 05:03 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
Hi Ronaldo,

Always look forward to one of your builds with alternative gear. Looks a bit like an old school pattern model. Very cool and looks pretty nice quality too.

I would be a bit concerned about a 20 x 10 on a motor with 222kv! Looking at peaks of 90 plus amps an 4000 watts in. I have a Dualsky 6360 with a 218kv and it pulls well over 3000 watts in on a 20 x 8. You would get much better punch with a lower pitch too.

Good luck with your build and cant wait for your video.

Chris
You're right Chris, this motor has a slightly larger kV than the ones I normally use and is also lighter (less power can be extracted) so a 19x10 would be already pushing it hard.
I was in fact in a dilemma since I had this motor ready to be installed, a brand new SK3 6364 which I could rewind or a rewound Tomcat 30cc currently installed on a plane I'm selling which I could remove and swap with the G160.
Both the Tomcat and SK3 are slightly larger motors from which I could extract more power.
I'm inclined to go with the G160 since cooling should be easy with the Yak open cowling but may change my mind during the week.
Ronaldo
Sep 16, 2018, 05:05 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhooks6
I always enjoy your off brand planes you put together, very interesting
Thanks dhooks hope you like this one too.
Sep 16, 2018, 05:12 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP

First concern - wing alignment pins

First concern during wing inspection:
The guide pins do not extend inside the wing until the second rib for optimal support. I had an in-flight failure with my Edge 540 30cc due to this exact design flaw.
The rib seems to be thicker and reinforced on the Yak but I would really prefer to have the carbon rod extending until the second inner rib and I will most likely reinforce it somehow during the build.
Ronaldo
Sep 17, 2018, 01:17 PM
Man thats cool that you were able to get the plane shipped in two boxes, was this recent? its definitely a pain to get planes shipped here to brazil! Can you explain a bit more about the shipping process on this one?
Sep 17, 2018, 10:02 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofundan
Man thats cool that you were able to get the plane shipped in two boxes, was this recent? its definitely a pain to get planes shipped here to brazil! Can you explain a bit more about the shipping process on this one?
Hello Dan, I believe he simply used the box of a spare fuse and put the rest of the stuff in another box. This way he was able to stay below USPS dimensions. Shipping ended up a bit more expensive, of course.
PM me if you need more info so we don't deviate from the thread.
Ronaldo
Sep 18, 2018, 09:32 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP

Motor box and motor installation

I'm used to make my own motor boxes with lite ply but since the kit came with one I decided to use it.
Unfortunately, the X mount of my G160 was larger than the front box so I had to discard it.
Luckily, the rear box already had exactly the length I needed (80mm) so it was just a matter or cutting a front wall (firewall) from 10mm plywood and glue it in place.
Ronaldo
Sep 18, 2018, 09:36 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP

CG concern

I'm a bit concerned with CG on this plane as the space inside is quite limited.
My two 6S 3300mAh 65C lipos can move only up to the wing tube. Hope this is enough to bring the CG aft and close to neutral.
I will try to install the electronics as aft as possible.
Ronaldo
Last edited by ronaldopn; Sep 20, 2018 at 03:12 PM.
Sep 18, 2018, 09:41 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP

Reminder - thin CA in all joints

Forgot to add in the beginning of the build log: add thin CA to every joint you can have access to.
These ARF kits are handcrafted but at the same time made in a production line so you may find some joints with insufficient or even no glue at all.
Ronaldo
Sep 20, 2018, 08:35 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Thread OP

Rudder installation

Lots of steps, I tried to make this as detailed as possible.

Since I hate epoxy I build my planes using CA only.
Hinges:
I developed this hinging technique which now is my favorite (maybe someone already had the same idea).
Same technique will be used for all control surfaces.
Horns:
I have also developed my own technique to install horns using regular/ thick CA (check last pictures).
GW ARF Yak55M 30cc rudder hinge (0 min 8 sec)

IMG 8767 (0 min 6 sec)
Last edited by ronaldopn; Sep 24, 2018 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Adding more details.

Quick Reply