Sep 16, 2018, 11:57 AM
Garland
Discussion

Nano B the ppm port? Its not clear in nano manual

Nano manual doesn't say which servo port is for ppm stream. Im trying to hook a nano and spartan heli FBL system together. I think port B would be ppm only...the other nano ports are clearly servo ports. I have never used ppm anything yet pwm normal servo only so far
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2018, 04:19 PM
Build more, websurf less
Ghia,

After configuring the receiver to output PPM, it will put a positive PPM signal on servo outputs 1,3, and 5, and a negative PPM signal on servo outputs 2, 4, and 6.

Good luck,

Paul
Sep 16, 2018, 04:34 PM
The manual does state the above info. The B port is only used as an input. It can never be an output.
Sep 16, 2018, 04:46 PM
Garland
Ok yes it does say 1,3,5 is positive ppm and 2,4,6 is neg ppm....Im not hip to what I do with that info. How is that single wire between FBL and RX? Thanks

I got nano to ppm only led on solid. Now what? My FBL system expects a single wire between them.

Or I got to tap into the positive and neg ppm stream together to get my channels?? So with three plugs one into FBL...one into nano channel 1... last into nano channel 2. There is such a funky cable includied with my FBL I got that right?
Last edited by Ghia; Sep 16, 2018 at 04:59 PM.
Sep 16, 2018, 05:08 PM
Garland
Hmm I might be out of luck on this FBL sys wants just one RX port for ppm not positive and neg ppm ports on RX
Last edited by Ghia; Sep 16, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Sep 16, 2018, 06:03 PM
Build more, websurf less
I'll bet you could connect a single lead from servo output 2 on the Nano to the PPM in on the flight controller.

You will likely need a common ground as well. If both the receiver and the flight controller are using the same battery and ground the single PPM lead should work.
Sep 16, 2018, 09:10 PM
You just need a single cable (3 wires) from the Vortex to the Nano. You could use the cable shown and plug all 3 plugs into the Nano, but a single cable with power/ground/signal would be the easiest.
Sep 16, 2018, 10:38 PM
Garland
Thanks guys! So a normal servo lead which I also have, plugged into channel 1 for the positive ppm stream will get me all my channels?

Question why neg and positive ppm? FBL sys has no mention of neg and positive ppm or which it wants
Last edited by Ghia; Sep 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM.
Sep 17, 2018, 08:17 AM
Build more, websurf less
Yes, all control channels are included in the single PPM output wire - that is, as many channels as your transmitter is putting in. The flight controller then sorts the PPM stream into the individual channels.

Over the years the PPM protocol was implemented by vendors using either the positive and negative conventions. If your flight controller doesn't work with one, it will likely work with the other.

Quick Reply