Oct 07, 2018, 06:01 PM
Jim
Looks so nice I'd be afraid to fly it!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2018, 08:01 AM
Gorgeous work, very inspiring build! Nice motor and battery combo, used in most of my Art Tech planes.
Oct 08, 2018, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker
Gorgeous work, very inspiring build! Nice motor and battery combo, used in most of my Art Tech planes.
Thanks Brent! Yeah, my Art Tech Corsair (which flies spectacularly) uses the exact same powerplant. It works so well I decided to size my Cub around it. It should be more than enough power for this J3.
Oct 08, 2018, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
Looks so nice I'd be afraid to fly it!!
Jim, I definitely have some trepidation about introducing it to the perils of gravity!
Oct 10, 2018, 10:23 AM
Warbirds Lover
Marcel Dassault, the French aeronautic engeneer and boss of Daussault Aviation taht created the Mirage, Rafale and so many other planes said "Un bel avion est un avion qui vole bien" i.e. something like "A beautiful plane is a plane that fly well", no doubt that Cub will fly nicely !
Oct 13, 2018, 04:13 PM
Thread OP

Maiden Flight

The maiden flight was a success! I took it to the flying field around sunset and the winds were very calm (maybe 2-3 mph). I put the 1300 mah battery in the tray with about 1/4" gap from the firewall, and then I locked in the hatch. I decided to do a ground takeoff from the gravel strip. Powered up and off it went, within about 8 or 9 feet it was off the ground. It wasn't totally trimmed out so I did a couple of circles around the field trimming it out and getting a feel for the characteristics. The power was very adequate. The elevator had TONS of authority and was a little touchy, but very controllable. After about 5 minutes I did a couple of low and slow passes and then decided to bring it down for a landing. I set my approach up giving plenty of room to get lined up. I maintained power all the way to touch down and it landed no problem. A quick post landing inspection showed no damage to the wheels or other structure. All in all, it was a good fun flyer. On my next flight I plan to move the battery all the way to the front to move the C.G. forward just a little bit. I have also changed my low rates for the elevator to 60% travel with 30% expo, that should help with the elevator sensitivity. I'm looking forward to taking it up again with these updates.
Oct 13, 2018, 05:42 PM
Warbirds Lover
Hi !
Happy to read this Mate, Congratulations !!

Nice plane, nice build, i wish you many many happy flying hours with her
Oct 13, 2018, 05:44 PM
Jim
Absolutely a beautiful Cub! First class work sir! Hope to see some video soon.
Oct 14, 2018, 03:06 PM
Congratulations!
Oct 14, 2018, 06:49 PM
This is an excellent build, flight video if you can please
Oct 14, 2018, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys! It looks like the weather will be good this coming weekend, so I'll try to take it up again and get some video.
Oct 21, 2018, 12:37 AM
Thread OP

Flight Video Posted

I took it up for a second flight and had the wife help capture some video. It flies very nicely with the modifications I made after the last flight: reducing the elevator travel and moving the C.G. slightly forward. I was flying at a different location with grass a little bumpier than where I usually fly. It did end up doing a little nose tip at the end of the landing. You gotta hate the bumps that cause those little tip overs at the end of a nice landing!

J3 Cub Flight (3 min 47 sec)
Oct 21, 2018, 12:51 AM
Beautiful!
Oct 21, 2018, 01:01 AM
Jim
Bravo! Beautiful flight, beautiful airplane, first class craftsmanship all the way!
Oct 21, 2018, 07:23 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thank you very much for sharing the video !

Nice flight, congratulations

Quick Reply