Sep 28, 2018, 12:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Really like these wheels. What did you use to cut the DTF circles?
I printed the templates for the circles onto printer paper, cut out the templates with scissors, traced the templates onto the foam, and then cut the circles out of the foam using a standard #11 x-acto.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2018, 12:12 AM
Thread OP

Lightning Bolts and Belly Cover

Finished up adding some of the scale paint scheme and got a little bit done on the underside of the fuselage.

To do the lightning bolts I opted to make some decals that I could then glue on. I find it easier to get straight lines with this method than with masking tape. I made the decals by the following process:
1) paint some printer paper black (if you have black paper, you could skip this step)
2) sketch the lightning bolt onto the paper with a pencil and a ruler
3) use the x-acto to cut out the lightning bolt
4) use the lightning bolt as a guide to make a duplicate, make sure its a mirror image though.
5) mix some white glue with water: maybe 70:30 glue to water.
6) apply the glue to the decals with a paint brush, and position them on the fuselage.
7) all done! enjoy the nice crisp lines.
Sep 29, 2018, 09:52 PM
Thread OP

Dummy Engine

Added some scale details to the cowl. The dummy cylinders are made from squares of balsa, sandwiched over some squares of black paper. The exhaust was made from some balsa, carved, and then painted black. The exhaust exit on the bottom of the cowl was made from a straw.
I also went ahead and added some covers to the landing gear legs. Now that they're on, I think I liked it better without the covers, but I'll leave them on for now.
Sep 29, 2018, 11:14 PM
Jim
That beauty deserves a nice wood or wood looking prop!!
Sep 30, 2018, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
That beauty deserves a nice wood or wood looking prop!!
Jim W, that's a great recommendation. I agree that the plastic prop isn't on theme with the rest of the scale look.

From a quick search, I'll probably order one of these:
https://www.masterairscrew.com/colle...-9x6-propeller
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...r-9x6-1pc.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/cherry-w...r-9x6-1pc.html
Last edited by Plane15; Sep 30, 2018 at 12:29 AM.
Sep 30, 2018, 07:38 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane15
Jim W, that's a great recommendation. I agree that the plastic prop isn't on theme with the rest of the scale look.

From a quick search, I'll probably order one of these:
https://www.masterairscrew.com/colle...-9x6-propeller
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...r-9x6-1pc.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/cherry-w...r-9x6-1pc.html
Third one!! Cherry one is nice. I wish they wouldn't put their logo on them.
Sep 30, 2018, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
Third one!! Cherry one is nice. I wish they wouldn't put their logo on them.
So, I actually tried ordering the cherry one today, but there was something wrong with the hobbyking website. I ended up ordering the master airscrew.
Sep 30, 2018, 05:36 PM
Thread OP

Windshield

The windshield is now installed. I started the process by installing the leading edge header panels. Then, I iterated the shape of the windshield by trimming some printer paper and honing in the final shape of the flat pattern. I then transferred the shape onto some thin clear plastic that I harvested from the lid of a disposable aluminum foil pan. I then glued it down with some epoxy, and held it in place with painter's tape while the glue dried. After it was glued down, I added a windshield liner around the bottom edge. I also went ahead and added a scale fuel cap/ bobber gauge.
Oct 01, 2018, 09:37 PM
Thread OP

Wing, Bottom Skin & Ribs

Finally got around to doing some work on the wing. I don't know why, but wings are my least favorite thing to build.
I think the pictures make the process pretty self-explanatory. The next step will be to glue on the top skin.
Oct 03, 2018, 10:25 PM
Thread OP

Top Skin Glued On

The top skin is now glued on. I used some clips to help hold the skin in place while the glue was drying. The wife is probably wondering where all the chip clips went . Note that there are some pieces of foam between the clips and the surfaces of the wing, to keep the wing from being dented by the clips. After the top skins had been glued on, I used some sandpaper to round off the leading edge. Not much sanding was required. I also added some lightweight spackling at the seam in the center of the wing. After sanding the spackling, the seam is almost invisible.
Also notice the two dowels that go into the spar. These dowels line up with holes in the fuselage former to hold the wing in place. The aft side of the wing will be secured with two nylon bolts.
Oct 04, 2018, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane15
I'm glad you're enjoying the build Jim!

I'm taking a little break from the fuselage today, and working on the wheels. The tires are made from 6 circles of laminated DTF. The outer two layers are donuts to give the nice bush tire look. After the layers were glued together, I used the exacto and some sanding to remove the "steps." After the shaping the wheels, I cut a black balloon and wrapped it over the foam. I then cut a second balloon and wrapped it from the other side. After both sides had been wrapped, I made a hub from bass wood and glued an axle bushing to it (WD40 spray tip). I then put some glue on the hub and the bushing and pressed it into the wheel. The axle bushing protrudes all the way through the wheel, so I then capped it with another hub on the opposite side. It's a pretty simple method, but it creates a killer looking tire. The nice thing about this method is that you can create tires of any size you want.

The rest of the landing gear should be up tomorrow.
Great jobs!
I'v been thinking about how to scratch build nice looking and durable wheels for a long time,
thanks to your original and genius way to build wheels,
I would ,maybe try to make the inner tire with EVA (the puzzle floor pad) ,instead of foam,it should absorb much more impact while hard landing,if I could shape them well.

Cheers
Oct 04, 2018, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by osern
Great jobs!
I'v been thinking about how to scratch build nice looking and durable wheels for a long time,
thanks to your original and genius way to build wheels,
I would ,maybe try to make the inner tire with EVA (the puzzle floor pad) ,instead of foam,it should absorb much more impact while hard landing,if I could shape them well.

Cheers
Osern, using a softer foam would be a fun experiment with great potential. Please share if you give it a try! I agree that shaping them would be the trick.
Oct 06, 2018, 12:26 AM
Thread OP

Ailerons

I marked out the ailerons on the wing and then cut away the material. I then covered the cut edges with balsa. I made ailerons to fill the gaps, and I decided to hinge them by inserting some carbon fiber rods into either end. The next step will be to make some control horns and linkage rods to connect the ailerons to the servos.
Oct 06, 2018, 10:49 PM
Thread OP

Battery Hatch & Struts

Here are some shots of the battery hatch and the struts. the hatch is just some sheet bass wood. There is a screw in one side that makes contact with the magnet at the front of the landing gear base. The tab at the front locks in the front end.

The struts are also made from the bass sheet. On the fuselage attach side, they have two pieces of credit card sandwiched over them. The plastic end has a hole in it that lines up with the attach bracket on the fuselage. On the wing attach side, the struts have some bent paper clips attached. The metal clips are attached by wrapping them onto the strut with thread and then epoxying them in place.
Oct 07, 2018, 02:53 PM
Thread OP

Wings Attached

The wings are now attached, and it is ready for a maiden flight. Note that the wings are easily removable if need be, it simply requires removing two nylon bolts on the aft side of the wing. The struts also detach easily. I'm still waiting to receive the wooden prop I ordered. If if arrives soon I may add it on before the maiden flight, otherwise I'll probably do the first flight as is. The C.G. is pretty close to spot on with a 3S 1300 mah battery up front in the battery tray. I realized that I haven't done any pictures "under the hood", so I took a quick picture with the cowl off to show the DT750 outrunner.

If the weather cooperates, I will try to do a maiden flight later this week.
Last edited by Plane15; Oct 07, 2018 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply