Nov 04, 2018, 03:38 PM
Looking great! On my build list sometime in the future.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2018, 01:21 PM
AMA 477098, - Jimmy Russell
Thread OP
Thanks! So far it's an easy build. Love your XLT! Would be cool to have a UFO and the XLT! two drooped tail Bridi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysifly
Looking great! On my build list sometime in the future.
Nov 14, 2018, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
Did a little more work on it. Got the top of the wing sheeted. It's now flipped with bottom spars in waiting bottom sheeting. when I get a hour to work on it the left wing will be done and ready to join to the right.

Maybe this weekend I can complete the basic build. Then onto the sanding shaping and prepping for covering. My least favorite task in model building.

Still hoping to have myself a nice Christmas or New Year present of my very own UFO! Although it probably won't be fully complete till later.

Jimmy
Nov 17, 2018, 08:28 AM
Jyrki,

Cowl all done and went in the mail today.. Will email you tracking.

Scott Anderson
Nov 22, 2018, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Got both wings basic built. Need to sand and shape the LE. I'm thinking of adding a little meat to it so I can shape a slightly sharper LE than the traditional blunt Bridi type. What you all think? My Rabbit has a kinda sharp LE and it spins so nice is my reasoning.

Only major building left is the ailerons and joining the wings. Then onto sanding, shaping, filling and repeat.

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving! No shopping for me tomorrow. Just building and might do a bit of flying too.

Jimmy
Nov 22, 2018, 08:41 PM
I’d toss a piece of tri-stock on there and shape it down to your liking. F you don’t like it, you can always keep sanding until you get back to original. Too cold here in Maine to fly. -10 wind chill.
Nov 22, 2018, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Good idea on the tri stock. I have a couple pieces of rect stock I was gonna use but the tri stock is already is pointy.

-10 chill whew.. It's just breaking freezing at night here. Supposed to be low 50's tomorrow. Gonna try to take my 3 yr old Nephew flying. He always wants to go to the shop and see my planes when he visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeg
Iíd toss a piece of tri-stock on there and shape it down to your liking. F you donít like it, you can always keep sanding until you get back to original. Too cold here in Maine to fly. -10 wind chill.
Nov 22, 2018, 09:06 PM
Iím anxious to see how your UFO works out. I have one waiting under the bench. Iím just getting ready to cover an Alien Arrowmaster. The plan used tri-stock on the leading edges on this bird. That is where I got the idea.
Nov 23, 2018, 06:07 AM
Thread OP
How do you like the ArrowMaster? It looks like an updated Aero Master. I've been wanting to build a bipe. I like the swept top wing of the ArrowMaster more than the straight winged Hog Bipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeg
Iím anxious to see how your UFO works out. I have one waiting under the bench. Iím just getting ready to cover an Alien Arrowmaster. The plan used tri-stock on the leading edges on this bird. That is where I got the idea.
Nov 24, 2018, 05:17 AM
Thread OP
Supposed to be a chilly dreary rainy day outside. The in-laws have left. We have way to much leftover T-Giving food. I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep. What does all this equal? I'm gonna mask up and make a lot of balsa dust. Hope to get the wing LE's and tips shaped, the tail sanded and the rudder and elevator hinged and fitted. Dry fitting the elevators showed a larger gap than I'd like at the tip. So I'll have to add a little balsa.

Since I have almost all the balsa pieces built I thought I get some weights pre sanding.

Wood tail (stabs, elev's, fin and rudder) 7.08 ounces
Wood Fuse: 15.8 ounces
R wing (with unshaped tip 11 Ounces
L wing (with unshaped tip)11 Ounces
Cowl .93 Ounce
Canopy 1.68

Total kit weight sans ailerons 47.49 or basically 3 lbs. Not bad at all. Still hoping for sub 7lb RTF. Still a lot of stuff to add. We'll see. This is the first larger Electric I've done. I've done a lot of homework. I took advantage of the holiday sales and ordered 2 GensAce 6s 45c 5500 batterys to start. This should provide plenty of scoot and enough duration for the advance or expert sequence.

If built glow you should be able to get under 7lbs without any difficulty.

Like I said before it is a bit over designed in my opinion if I will nitpick. The plywood in the LE and TE I think would be fine balsa. But this is going to be a strong bird.

Some pics of the wings setting together.

Jimmy
Nov 24, 2018, 06:07 AM
Jimmy,

Looking good.. Servo selection can save a ton of weight.. Are you going to run a 6 volt rx system or a 8.4 volt rx system?

scott
Nov 24, 2018, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
6v Mini's on ailerons, standard on rudder, and 2 micros one for each elevator half.
Nov 24, 2018, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Punk
6v Mini's on ailerons, standard on rudder, and 2 micros one for each elevator half.
Sounds good
Nov 24, 2018, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Punk
How do you like the ArrowMaster? It looks like an updated Aero Master. I've been wanting to build a bipe. I like the swept top wing of the ArrowMaster more than the straight winged Hog Bipe.
It went together pretty well. No surprises. Typical laser cut kit. Super accurate cuts. I was really dissatisfied with the materials used in the tail feathers. Itís all very soft sheet balsa laid flat then built up using 1/8 inch cores and 1/16 sheet. After I got it together it seemed flimsy. Well, it was. I used Titebond on all the tail surfaces and it caused the stab and rudder to warp badly. I rebuilt all the tail surfaces using stiffer balsa, made some basswood cross braces and used thick CA. Good to go now.
Nov 24, 2018, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
Nice to hear your experience with the kit. I also use a lot of tight bond. For sheeting or laminating I use a kind of stitch gluing method and put drops of medium CA in between the tight bond. It seems to hold the pieces in place while the TB dries.

On this build I've used a lot of SuperPhatic. I like it. But I would be weary on using it to laminate or sheeting without CA in my stitch pattern because it is quite watery. I suspect it is actual water in it too. It looks like watered down TB but I think there's more to it than that. It has a pretty tacky feel and doesn't dry as hard as TB.

Quick Reply