Sep 06, 2019, 08:32 PM
Stevephoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Does the UFO and DB have the same airfoil? Does anyone know the number or is it a custom airfoil?

On the original Bridi plans for the UFO, the ribs look to be NACA 0018. I was checking it out for my version of a UFO and compared the scanned plans to various airfoils and that was the best match I found.

Not sure what was used on the DB. I never checked.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2019, 06:14 PM
AMA 477098, - Jimmy Russell
Thread OP
I took her out again today. I moved the CG back to the rearmost limit on the plans. That lightened the feel inverted and made the elevator more responsive. I had to tweak the throws and expo a bit, but I have it really close now. The guy that takes great videos was there today. This was the second flight of the day. By the end of the day I was flying the pattern much better. (not botching the outside loops) If you listen closely you can hear the peanut gallery questioning how many points my 4 point had. I counted 5 1/2..

kcrctn JimmyR 190908 (7 min 40 sec)
Sep 08, 2019, 08:06 PM
Same Day Delivery
Nice! I know that I should just shut my mouth, but I find watching an electric almost Painfull to Watch........ too many Lagunitas tonight, I Guess. Good Flyin!
Sep 08, 2019, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
Nice! I know that I should just shut my mouth, but I find watching an electric almost Painfull to Watch........ too many Lagunitas tonight, I Guess. Good Flyin!
Not bad (Lagunitas) but there are better IPAs out there. Just play the video with no sound.
Sep 09, 2019, 02:13 AM
CPA #100
Excellent job! Thanks for sharing the video with us. I enjoyed it. The electric sounds good and it looks to have good overall power.

Also looks like you might be feeding in some aileron on those reverse outsides which is giving you the corkscrew effect. Just my .02

Paul
Sep 09, 2019, 01:29 PM
KM6UBL
You might want to tape a quarter under your left wing tip, and see if it improves the tracking in the outside loops.

Good flying of a well built airplane, and "props" to the cameraman.

Robert
Sep 09, 2019, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
I think I was fumbling the ailerons during those outsides loops, or wings weren't exactly level. After that flight I softened the elev and ail which helped. Later in the day I was doing them decently, but def have room for improvement.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Next time out I'll practice stalls upright and inverted to see if it has a heavy wing. I'm gonna have to get used to stalling it inverted anyway. I'm might try to fly expert with with it next year. That sequence has a 3 turn inverted spin.

The guy that takes those videos has a interesting method. He has affixed his camera to the end of a toy rifle stock. He has post and groove sights and basically follows the plane like you might shoot clay pigeons. Check out his channel. He has a slew of other great videos taken at our field.

Sorry it makes the whimpy whirr sounds and no smoke.. But I'm not sorry at the end of the day when she is squeaky clean ready to be put away till the next time.
Sep 09, 2019, 05:50 PM
KC4JAJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Punk
I think I was fumbling the ailerons during those outsides loops, or wings weren't exactly level. After that flight I softened the elev and ail which helped. Later in the day I was doing them decently, but def have room for improvement.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Next time out I'll practice stalls upright and inverted to see if it has a heavy wing. I'm gonna have to get used to stalling it inverted anyway. I'm might try to fly expert with with it next year. That sequence has a 3 turn inverted spin.

The guy that takes those videos has a interesting method. He has affixed his camera to the end of a toy rifle stock. He has post and groove sights and basically follows the plane like you might shoot clay pigeons. Check out his channel. He has a slew of other great videos taken at our field.

Sorry it makes the whimpy whirr sounds and no smoke.. But I'm not sorry at the end of the day when she is squeaky clean ready to be put away till the next time.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Work on that, along with trimming your rudder, and you'll have Outsides whipped, bud. A couple more tips:
  • Remember to fly the 50' - about 1/2 second - of straight flight AFTER calling "Begin" but BEFORE starting the maneuver.
  • Start you roll in the middle of the Rolling 8 sooner - otherwise the loops won't be one above the other.
  • Call "Complete" BEFORE you start your climb out for turn around.
This is the first time I really watched for the color variations on your wings top vs bottom. The stripes on the bottom are more visible than I would have thought.

BTW - ZERO on the landing since it was in the opposite direction of takeoff!!

Jim
Sep 09, 2019, 07:29 PM
Jimmy,

Plane looks good. I learned flying electric only fly above stall speed and add power on your up lines or as needed.. might be easier to talk you thru it tan post. Let me know if you want to practice sometime.
Scott

Fyi 2 orders for the kaos project came in.
Sep 09, 2019, 07:38 PM
Same Day Delivery
"Orders". "Kaos Project". Please, Tell us More!
Sep 09, 2019, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Mike this is the kit Scott is referring to. It's a Killer or Ultimate Kaos short kit. I did the CAD. The fuse is laser cut tab lock construction.

https://performancemodelaviation.com/
Sep 09, 2019, 09:26 PM
Mike,

I'm having another run this week if your interested. It is a short kit with clear canopy and plans.
See the website for more info.

Quick Reply