Apr 08, 2019, 07:09 PM
I flew Mark Rittinger's 262 this same size. Orientation was hard work.

While I appreciate what Mark did, I can't hold anything against anybody wanting a brighter model. When I did a scale 109 a few years back I was quite happy that I chose a yellow nose.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2019, 10:13 PM
in the very least.... a markedly different colour on a models underside really does help with orientation.
Fast and camo'd can be a real problem to live with.
Apr 11, 2019, 10:03 AM
Gravity sucks.
Thx Andy.
Maybe use a squadron marking with some yellow?
When I built my Skoda-Kauba, the only color it was built was gray. So I added non- scale yellow bands on fuse and wings. Great help.
The Japanese copied the 262, maybe check out one the schemes?
Apr 21, 2019, 06:35 AM
Planes of Fame museum in Chino,Calif. has an ME-262 that was once owned by Howard Hughes to race at Reno. Don't know if he ever raced it, or what the color scheme looked like because the museum has it painted in WW II stock colors.
Apr 21, 2019, 10:42 AM
Crazy Canuck
Good article on what you said of Hughes owning q 262
http://vintageairphotos.blogspot.com...erschmitt.html
Apr 21, 2019, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Interesting article. The biggest difference between what I want do to and what Hughes would have done is Hughes' color would have been "polished aluminum."
Apr 22, 2019, 06:01 AM
Great article on the 262, NEWBEFLYER. Last time I saw it at Chino was probably right before they sold it, because it was there when I took my dad there. That gloss paint job they refer to may be a way to keep it scale. I don't know what color it was, but I've seen early fighters in testing painted bright orange.
Maybe Hughes would have used GE or other jet engines if he raced one. Probably easy to fit under wings. Those original Jumo engines had a life of 25 hours. The pilots flying the recovered 262s never knew if they had 4 hours or 24 hours on them and were pretty nervous flying them.
I saw an interview with one of the 262's designers. When somebody asked how they knew to sweep the wings he said they had no clue about aerodynamics - they swept them back to get the CG right.
Aug 08, 2019, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
I finally decided on my color scheme and got to work. The top of the fuselage and wings will be covered in yellow tissue with burgundy trim and the bottom of the fuselage and wings will be done in purple tissue with white trim.

As this is my first time working with tissue and dope, I started with something small and easy - the battery hatch. With some coaching from my dad, I would say I did a decent job on it.

Quick Reply