Dec 01, 2018, 02:56 PM
beautiful build, looking forward to more!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2018, 10:14 AM
What is the AUW of the A-10 and what final AUW do you estimate you'll have with this? Have you calculated a wing loading comparison? The balsa construction looks nice, but I'm a little concerned with weight.
Dec 13, 2018, 02:27 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Did this one a longer time ago .. little bit aggressive but a good flyer .. WS 32cm .. 40gram AUW
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=4935210
Dec 13, 2018, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks all for the replies. I'm just now getting around to do more with it now that the fall semester is over and I don't have to do any school for the next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
Very nice. Will you paint the paper with some lacquer, to avoid that it sags in humid conditions?
I can honestly say that I did not think about this. This is only my second UM EDF that I have built, but I will consider it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altbob
What is the AUW of the A-10 and what final AUW do you estimate you'll have with this? Have you calculated a wing loading comparison? The balsa construction looks nice, but I'm a little concerned with weight.
I just checked the product page for the A-10 and it says it has a flying weight of 168 grams. I do not have one to verify that info but I just weighed the wing that I have and it came in at 39.9 grams. I have a 2S 750mah that weighs 43.9 grams and a 2S 800 that weighs 42.4 grams so I'm optimistic about the AUW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpye
Did this one a longer time ago .. little bit aggressive but a good flyer .. WS 32cm .. 40gram AUW
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=4935210
Looks nice. Mine's a porker compared to yours. What do you have in it?
Dec 13, 2018, 03:39 PM
Build it again, Sam!
It is setup with 1.6gram purple bird servos and2x3gram outrunners at1 cell lipo. rx is the lightest futaba type 2.4 GHz
Dec 13, 2018, 03:49 PM
Build it again, Sam!
It is setup with 1.6gram purple bird servos and2x3gram outrunners at1 cell lipo. rx is the lightest futaba type 2.4 GHz
Dec 13, 2018, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
In preparation for tack gluing the bottom half of the nacelle on, I carved out a small section of the stringers where the fan housing mounts are. I then noticed that the rear of the duct wasn't quite big enough I diameter. I checked my drawings, and sure enough, I made the overlap area an 1/8" less than the circumference rather than more than the circumference. Oh well. Easy fix.
Dec 14, 2018, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
I was able to fix the duct last night just wasn't able to get a picture of it until now. The gap is now gone and I was even able to use balsa colored cardstock!
Dec 14, 2018, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
This morning before I went to work I got a substantial amount done. I cut a section of 3x3 block out for the exhaust and marked the trailing edge of the wing on top and then cut out that small section so that the top of the block is flush with the top of the wing. I then traced the nacelle onto the block and cut it out with the scroll saw.

I then cut out the exhaust rings for both nacelles on the laser and glued one to the block. I used a 1/2" brass tube to carve out the center before gluing it onto the nacelle.

While the glue was drying for that I cut out the wing tip blocks and ailerons on the laser. The thickest part of the ailerons is surprisingly 3/16" so I used some light scalps lying around for them. The tips, again surprisingly, are 1/4" thick so I used some more light scraps lying around.

When the nacelle was done drying, I carved it to shape and sanded it.
Dec 17, 2018, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
I spent Saturday morning at a dress rehearsal for a Christmas musical my church had yesterday and in the afternoon I was at the airport finishing up the last few flight hours I needed before I go for my check ride, so I didn't get to work on my 262.

But yesterday afternoon I was able to finish the left wing. I tack glued the aileron on and carved/sanded it down to a nice taper. I also glued on the wing tip and sanded it to its final shape.

Now to finish the right wing.
Last edited by Ian Kunz; Dec 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM.
Dec 20, 2018, 01:00 PM
this might help
Dec 20, 2018, 01:30 PM
Those are left wings, Bare! He's already got one of those!

Andy
Dec 20, 2018, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the pics. Hopefully I’ll be able to work on the right wing on Saturday. I had today off from work but was raking leaves all day.
Jan 28, 2019, 10:45 AM
Ian, you need to post a few photos showing all you've been doing lately!

Dad
Jan 28, 2019, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
It has been a little over a month now since I posted any updates, but I have been making progress.

I finished the right wing in the same manner as I did the left. The biggest difference was not needing to solder extensions onto the motor leads because the wires for this motor were longer (170mm vs. 130mm).

While I was waiting for the top sheet to dry on the wing I started the fuselage. Very basic. I started by gluing 1/8 square stringers to formers 3 and 4 lined up on top of the plans. I then continued to glue the two forward belly pieces together and then glued that to F3. Because of the upward curve toward the nose, I blocked up the front by 3/8" to get F1 and F2 lined up vertically with the stringers and then proceeded to glue them in place to the bottom sheet and the stringers. I also glued the tail bottom sheeting to F4 at this time.

While that was drying, I started sanding the right wing aileron, leading edge, and trailing edge to shape. I sanded the tip to shape after I was done with the main portion of the wing.

After sanding the wing to shape, I moved back to the fuselage and glued in F5. This was an undertaking because I had to keep everything where they were supposed to be. The forward part was pinned to the building board so that it wouldn't pull up as I brought the top stringer down to the tail that was also propped up by 3/8". When I was satisfied with that, I glued in SOFT 1/4" triangle stock to the fusalage bottoms and formers. A few slits were needed in the front to keep the gentle curve.

After letting that set for a week I joined the two wing halves together using 30 min epoxy. I supported the center of the wing with a block that was lying on the shelf and the nacelle with some strips of mahogany that just happened to be the correct thickness to get the top of the wing flat.

After another week or so I glued the first two pieces of the fuselage sides on. These being the two pieces creating the wing saddle. This greatly strengthened the fuselage but because F3 and F4 are only 1/16 balsa they kept breaking if I wasn't careful.

Finally the other day I moistened the fuselage top and wrapped it around an epoxy bottle to get it to curve nicely. After it dryer I glued it to the top and sanded it flush with F3 and F4. I then glued the forward sides of the fuselage on and added a doubled to F4 so that I have something to glue the tail sheeting to. I'll be redoing the plans a little so that F4 is 1/8 thick and the forward fuse sides are two of three total pieces rather than the current five pieces. Then I sanded the sides flush to the stringers so that the hatch has a flat area to go on.

I started the hatch with two 1/8 sticks and glued H3 to them so that it was square. I then pinned this assembly to the fuselage with wax paper between them and pinned the stringers in place using the other two hatch formers as spacers and glued them in. By the end of the day yesterday I had another piece of balsa wrapped around the epoxy tube for the hatch sheeting.
Last edited by Ian Kunz; Jan 28, 2019 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply