Nov 06, 2019, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
I think it should handle a slight bounce every time and love it! Not get mangled as easily as it does. In my opinion any plane sold with SAFE Select is intended to be flown by pilots of many different skill levels, including beginner-intermediate.

The product page claims the plane has a durable aluminum landing gear, which it certainly is not. A durable landing gear would not be sold out everywhere as a replacement part nor would it require a greaser landing every time. A $200 foam airplane is not aimed at a pro-pilot target audience, its aimed at everyone.

Please nobody defend the rubbish gear that shipped with this plane. Sure love the plane, but be real enough to admit its deficiencies.
Rubbish is the nose gear on SR22! I finally cut out foam and reinforced with carbon fiber.
I tend to bounce the S1 a few times on every landing, luckily no major damage, I can were it will be an issue when I get more flights in.
Tim
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2019, 03:01 AM
Nice work Atoms....real nice flying and glad you find it a fun plane. Pretty hard not to!
Is it just me or is that Ren and Stimpy music?.......yes Sir, I DO like it!

Keep up the great flying and posting the vids.

BMK
Nov 10, 2019, 01:11 PM
I’m thinking about a sporty plane to fly at the local park such as a high school yard, so I don’t have to go all the way out of town to the flying field. My runway would likely be a baseball diamond there. I was considering the UMX Pitts, but now after a little more thinking maybe I might as well go with the 850mm Pitts.

I know it’s tough to answer, but would an average high school yard be large enough for this plane? It’s hard to tell in the vids how well this plane can slow down if you want it too? I’d like it for sport flying and also just relaxing low and slow scale type flights.

Also for 4S Lipos I only have 2200mAh. This works in other planes I have and I don’t really want to buy specific Lipos such as 4S 1800 for just this plane. Are 4S 2200 too heavy for this plane, and maybe not fly so well, it doesn’t appear many use this size battery? Thanks
Last edited by Uncoiler; Nov 10, 2019 at 01:17 PM.
Nov 10, 2019, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoiler
Iím thinking about a sporty plane to fly at the local park such as a high school yard, so I donít have to go all the way out of town to the flying field. My runway would likely be a baseball diamond there. I was considering the UMX Pitts, but now after a little more thinking maybe I might as well go with the 850mm Pitts.

I know itís tough to answer, but would an average high school yard be large enough for this plane? Itís hard to tell in the vids how well this plane can slow down if you want it too? Iíd like it for sport flying and also just relaxing low and slow scale type flights.

Also for 4S Lipos I only have 2200mAh. This works in other planes I have and I donít really want to buy specific Lipos such as 4S 1800 for just this plane. Are 4S 2200 too heavy for this plane, and maybe not fly so well, it doesnít appear many use this size battery? Thanks
I run 2200 4s lipos in my Pitts 850, and they're fine... BUT, I'd be uncomfortable with a school yard.... this little thing is FAST and will be far away in the blink of an eye... IMHO it doesn't fly slowly unless you're into a decent wind...

Have you considered a Timber X? It will fly really slowly with flaps and slats installed... and will go fast and do some amazing aerobatics too. I would not fly it in a smaller area until I was REALLY comfortable with it..

Lastly, have you considered the UMX Timber? It's got plenty of tricks up it's sleeve and can just crawl along in the air. It's an incredible little plane.
Nov 10, 2019, 01:33 PM
Flying Low
While I love this plane I would not want to try to land it in a baseball diamond especially on 4S where its carrying more speed.

As another suggested best bang for you buck somewhere like that is the UMX Timber. Other than my DLG Gliders I primarily fly the umx timber is my go to plane.
Nov 10, 2019, 02:04 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Quote:
Iím thinking about a sporty plane to fly at the local park such as a high school yard, so I donít have to go all the way out of town to the flying field. My runway would likely be a baseball diamond there. I was considering the UMX Pitts, but now after a little more thinking maybe I might as well go with the 850mm Pitts.

I know itís tough to answer, but would an average high school yard be large enough for this plane? Itís hard to tell in the vids how well this plane can slow down if you want it too? Iíd like it for sport flying and also just relaxing low and slow scale type flights.

Also for 4S Lipos I only have 2200mAh. This works in other planes I have and I donít really want to buy specific Lipos such as 4S 1800 for just this plane. Are 4S 2200 too heavy for this plane, and maybe not fly so well, it doesnít appear many use this size battery? Thanks
If you are set on a Pitts I would recommend the UMX version for flying at a school. The 850mm does not slow down well. I had two crashes with mine recently from trying to fly too slow and I use a 2200mah 3s, I'd imagine a 4s would be worse.

Vid from a friend's channel of my Pitts falling out of the sky... https://youtu.be/oiSKqFvoR-o?t=1130
Nov 10, 2019, 04:18 PM
I appreciate your opinions guys, that explains why all the vids I see are at bigger open fields. I'll pass on the Pitts for a school yard flyer.

The full size Timbers are physically bigger than what I'm looking for and they just don't speak to me for whatever reason, although I do know about the slow capabilities. I do own and enjoy the UMX Timber, but looking for something a little more aesthetically pleasing and also a little more capable for sporty or basic aerobatic flying. My original school yard considerations were leaning towards the UMX Pitts or UMX Waco. Both great looking planes but between those two I can't decide as the Waco is better for low and slow and the Pitts for more sporty flying. Lots of options!
Nov 10, 2019, 05:33 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Wind hasn't been mentioned, but if it's windy there often the UMX Pitts will handle that better than the Waco. The Waco, while not quite as aerobatic as the Pitts, is still fun to fly. My opinion of the two is that the Pitts is more aerobatic and handles the wind better, the Waco though flies better to me.
Nov 10, 2019, 05:41 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
I appreciate your opinions guys, that explains why all the vids I see are at bigger open fields. I'll pass on the Pitts for a school yard flyer.

The full size Timbers are physically bigger than what I'm looking for and they just don't speak to me for whatever reason, although I do know about the slow capabilities. I do own and enjoy the UMX Timber, but looking for something a little more aesthetically pleasing and also a little more capable for sporty or basic aerobatic flying. My original school yard considerations were leaning towards the UMX Pitts or UMX Waco. Both great looking planes but between those two I can't decide as the Waco is better for low and slow and the Pitts for more sporty flying. Lots of options!
The UMX Pitts is an excellent scale unlimited aerobatic plane that's great in a schoolyard - or even a larger backyard! Gives me a case of perma-grin that lasts long after I'm done flying!

Here's mine in my old backyard:

UMX Pitts S-1S in the yard - exploring the envelope (9 min 34 sec)

And here's the maiden, out in front of my old place:

E-flite UMX Pitts S-1S maiden! (10 min 11 sec)

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Nov 12, 2019, 07:23 PM
Nice vids turboparker, wish my backyard looked like that.

I recently picked up Realflight 9 and was going through some of the aircraft yesterday and noticed a Pitts. It’s a gas powered version and what a blast to fly in the sim. Just like you guys mentioned about the real 850mm R/C version, this thing is very challenging to land on a hard runway without bouncing (several times). LOL

I may pick up the 850mm Pitts at some point for flying out at the air park, but recently bought the Extra 300 and only got about 10 flights before winter. Come spring time I will likely fly that for a while after practicing in the Sim over our long winter.

For a school yard flyer I think I’m leaning towards the UMX Pitts due to it’s sporty flying. I love the looks and reviews on the UMX Waco too, but I guess I have the UMX Timber for the low and slow already, and living in the prairies where there is always some wind, it sounds like the Pitts is better for that.
Nov 12, 2019, 07:34 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
The Pitts does fly a bit sportier and handles the wind the wind better.

Just for fun here's a Waco vid

E-Flite UMX Waco at the Park (9 min 45 sec)
Nov 12, 2019, 07:42 PM
Fly Planes, Be Happy 😜
Listen to those poor worn out servos

E-Flite UMX Pitts fly 1 (3 min 27 sec)

E-Flite UMX Pitts fly 2 (3 min 5 sec)
Nov 12, 2019, 08:21 PM
Last edited by dalecheek1; Nov 14, 2019 at 06:22 AM.
Nov 13, 2019, 11:25 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
I Fly the Pitts a Tad different. Plane not hurt with KE spin landing. LOL...
Always fun to watch you fly in what to me is a tight spot.

Bill S.
Nov 13, 2019, 11:34 AM
new Biplaner to be 04 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityRC
Always fun to watch you fly in what to me is a tight spot.

Bill S.
I dare to disagree

Over 400 feet vertical airways.

CCC
Last edited by cpt.chaos canada; Nov 13, 2019 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply