Nov 04, 2018, 12:25 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I'm running 4s on stock PID's. Only thing I did was bump up the rates a bit. Definitely performs much better on 4s. I'm probably going to order a couple 5s packs for it this week just to see how it does.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2018, 06:21 PM
PowerMetalPilot
5s is bliss

I like these https://www.banggood.com/Giant-Power...r_warehouse=CN
Nov 05, 2018, 08:44 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Tried 4S today. Better power, now comparable to Kopis 2 on 3S. I did get some slight wobble on roll, might have to reduce P-term. And it drops faster when inverted.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 05, 2018, 11:24 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramersteen
Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the link. I like the Giant Power batteries. I have some 2s 450mah Giant Power batts that I use with my 2" quads and they have treated me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Tried 4S today. Better power, now comparable to Kopis 2 on 3S. I did get some slight wobble on roll, might have to reduce P-term. And it drops faster when inverted.
I only tried it on 3s for about 30 seconds. 4s woke it right up. 5s should be awesome.
Nov 06, 2018, 02:54 AM
Here's my 4S flight:

Flying the SkyStars STX225 on 4S (3 min 50 sec)
Nov 09, 2018, 11:12 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Another nice flight. Looks like you had more fun on 4s. I've never really cared for 2300kv motors on 3s. Always feels sluggish to me. I was hoping to get in a few flights with mine today, but it's snowing here, so that's not going to happen.
Nov 09, 2018, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Another nice flight. Looks like you had more fun on 4s. I've never really cared for 2300kv motors on 3s. Always feels sluggish to me. I was hoping to get in a few flights with mine today, but it's snowing here, so that's not going to happen.

There is more to it than kv, some motors simply have more "grunt" and feel more punchy than higher kv motors. The key is finding a prop that gets most thrust out of a motor, without overloading it, which would result in slow spin-up, and a sluggish feel.

The STX225 really needs 4S, to get to similar performance as the Kopis 2 has on 3S. It felt nice and punchy, but without the wow factor like throttle punches on the super light LDARC 200GT give, at least when not yet used to such power to weight ratio.

I do hope I can fix the slight wobble, because it might be a smooth flyer, and having great picture after replacing the camera, but even then it's not my best 5 inch, and maybe not even top 5 yet. But it's definitely the smoothest 5 inch kit I've flown so far, and the motors and VTX are a step above the Tyro99 for sure.
Nov 09, 2018, 11:43 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I understand that, but even good quality 2300kv motors that are known to produce good power still feel sluggish on 3s to me. I agree that a good prop/motor combo can help improve the performance. It could also be that it has been so long since I have really flown any 5 inch quads on 3s that now I always anticipate the extra punch that 4s produces.

Yeah there are definitely nicer, more powerful, and better equipped 5 inchers out there, but this thing is pretty impressive for its price.
Nov 09, 2018, 02:34 PM
PowerMetalPilot
2550kv with 5s that's my sweet zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the link. I like the Giant Power batteries. I have some 2s 450mah Giant Power batts that I use with my 2" quads and they have treated me well.
When? Looking forward to seeing your response to it, just expect some pid tweaks as very few of mine jumped to 5s without issue. I have only tried the giant power 5s so i don't have anything to compare it to but it sure seems to really bring out the best in my quads.

5s will give you that wow factor henk speaks of and should send that thing over 100mph
Nov 11, 2018, 08:50 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I'll probably order batteries next week. With winter now here, and the snow already starting to fly, opportunities to fly outside are few and far between.

For anyone interested this kit is now available here for only $94.99 during the 11-11 sales event.
Nov 12, 2018, 03:44 AM
PowerMetalPilot
I punctured one of the cells on my 5s battery awhile ago so i removed the bad cell and turned it into a 4s today sure beats throwing it away. Tested it earlier and it's performing better than my other older 4s'sss.

I was a little afraid at first but i came out knowing more about the batteries and more confident with future repairs.

it's the ''Mega Raphene Ultra Burst 4s 1300mah 70c''

Raph
Nov 13, 2018, 10:48 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Definitely beats throwing it away. I've had to remove cells from packs in the past, and it is certainly worth the time and effort in order to keep a pack around for a while longer.

Spare parts are now showing up for this quad on Gearbest. I have updated the first post with links to what they are carrying so far.
Nov 16, 2018, 01:46 AM
Hello.
I have ordered this kit, along with a HSKRC freestyle frame (the ummagawd remix clone). Total is 105euros... I wanted something that looks cool since it's my first build, it will be my only 5" and don't plan on flying it much. (I like so much flying my 2,5")

Do you think it can fly well despite the added weight? Ill go 5S. Anything I should be aware of, for building?
Nov 16, 2018, 05:30 AM
More weight might make 5S needed. I found the stock kit to fly similar on 4S as the Hawk 5 or Kopis 2 performs on 3S.
Nov 18, 2018, 08:16 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
That frame looks a good bit heavier than stock, but I think on 5s it will still perform very well. Be sure to keep us posted.

Quick Reply