Oct 09, 2018, 11:17 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Ready to rock with some 5152 Whisky props

Whisky? I don't think drinking and quad flying go well together.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2018, 03:02 PM
PowerMetalPilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Yeah but what about this https://www.phaserfpv.com.au/product...12440977866829
Oct 09, 2018, 03:12 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Indeed they don't! I tried once with one of my micros with a buzz in low light and changed my mind and landed right away. I've bounced my Whoops off the walls and ceilings quite a few times flying buzzed in the house though

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramersteen
LOL That's funny!!
Oct 10, 2018, 02:10 PM
Even sober it's not always easy to feel fully in sync with a quad.

Then again, years ago I did some online gaming with some internet friends from different countries, and a few would always smoke "something" before playing, and actually played better after this.
Oct 11, 2018, 06:49 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Even sober it's not always easy to feel fully in sync with a quad.
Very true. Looks like the weather might cooperate with my schedule today, and I should be able to get in some more flying time with this with the new props.
Oct 13, 2018, 10:31 AM
I'll see if I can start building today, or tomorrow. Lost some time on fixing my wife's PC, and testing different VTX on Kopis 2.
Oct 13, 2018, 11:18 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Well we finally had a day without rain, unfortunately for most of it the wind was blowing about 40mph, so I didn't even bother to go try the Whisky props. Today is looking promising though so hopefully after our company leaves I can get over to my field and get it back in the air.

Enjoy the build. It's pretty straight forward. Everything soldered up nice and easy. No finicky wires or anything.
Oct 13, 2018, 05:14 PM
I wonder why they made on of the inner holes in the arms so large, instead of just the size of the screw. Unless really tight, the arms can still swivel in and out a bit, and will move in a crash. Seems a bit odd...

$99!!! STX225 DIY Version FPV Racing RC Drone Kit (28 min 57 sec)

Around 9:24, this guy shows what I mean.
Oct 15, 2018, 12:26 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Didn't even notice that they could move. I just checked mine, and it takes a good amount of force to move them. Definitely not something that's going to happen just from flying, but they will for sure shift in a hard crash.
Oct 15, 2018, 01:55 PM
Even with screws tightened, it didn't take me much force to move the arms. I put the arms in the right position, and secured these with a little ca glue between bottom plate and arms. This might negate the benefit of removable arms, but with these cheap frames often spare arms are not even available, and I rarely crash anyway.

I didn't make much progress yesterday, spent part of the day trimming a thorn bush, that had tried to claim a small foam plane as "prey" and afterwards my arms let me know I overdid it a little. I did pre-tin most connections on the FC, and mounted the motors. Maybe today I will get to trimming motor wires and installing ESC and other wiring.
Oct 17, 2018, 05:27 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Hopefully you're able to get it in the air soon. I am looking forward to your thoughts on this one. So far I am really enjoying it.
Oct 20, 2018, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Hopefully you're able to get it in the air soon. I am looking forward to your thoughts on this one. So far I am really enjoying it.

Finally got past the stage of soldering the motor wires. Motors feel very smooth when rotated manually, and also sound really nice when running with the ESC. Next thing, checking rotation, then install receiver, camera and VTX, and do some basic tests, before I can install the props.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 21, 2018 at 02:01 AM.
Oct 21, 2018, 12:33 PM
Got it in the air. Motors run really smooth with the included props. Wanted to try FPV, but got no steady picture. It was somewhat rolling/scrolling down, like some sync issue. Pretty sure it was set to the correct channel and band.

Did you try it FPV yet?
Oct 22, 2018, 01:58 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Yeah, I've used my monitor with it a couple times. I haven't had any problems with the camera, or VTX, but Mitchie was having some strange issues and contacted GB about it. Not sure exactly what the problem ended up being.
Oct 22, 2018, 02:03 PM
I'll upload a short clip, showing how weird the image gets.

Edit: here it is

Weird video issue with STX225 FPV quadcopter kit (0 min 16 sec)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 22, 2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply