Quote:
Originally Posted by T3X
@Olgoz....
Picture 1????

What did you do? Mowing the grass
Yeeaa sometimes have to stay low

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3X
Well it arrived, but I'm totally puzzled about the controller.

This one isn't the one on the pdf at the start of this thread, any one explain a bit.

Thanks

Edit.
Found it, it's a skystars G730 F4 AIO

Edit.
Bummer they send me 3cw and 1ccw motors... Now... Waiting ��
You have the same FC as my STX225. I followed this from page 13 in this thread from kramersteen and I'm still mowing grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramersteen
CAmera is - VIN(yellow)/5v(red)/gnd (black) (video in)

VTX - VOUT(yellow)/5v/gnd (video out ) Note If your vtx has smart audio you can send that wire to the TX3 pad and then turn it on in betaflight to gain smartaudio control.

RX - sbus(yellow)/5v/gnd

All modern flight controllers are like this.
What are you waiting for with cw and ccw motors? I would just fly! All mine are the wrong way round because I've reversed props and I don't seem to have to tighten them even though they are now effectively all self-loosening. I don't fly hard. For you if you build it right you'll only have to be concerned about one prop nut. Enjoy your quad it's awesome. Remember to bridge the pads above the camera and vtx pads on the fc to get vbat, otherwise there will be no power to them.
Last edited by olgoz; Jul 21, 2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: i'm a Scatman
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 03:23 PM
T3X
T3X
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgoz
Remember to bridge the pads above the camera and vtx pads on the fc to get vbat, otherwise there will be no power to them.
These pads [photo]? All three together?
Jul 22, 2019, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3X
These pads [photo]? All three together?
NOT all 3 together! Yes those are the pads. Bridge as per the red lines I've put on your photo to get vbat to your vtx and camera.
Jul 22, 2019, 02:57 AM
T3X
T3X
Thank you, going to fix this today and put it on betaflight for the first time.

Everything works. Try some first hover and works, think to tune it some more because when pushing it forward it keeps going forward.

Just another problem with my lipo, see picture.
Is this beyond repair?
Last edited by T3X; Jul 22, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
Jul 22, 2019, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3X
Thank you, going to fix this today and put it on betaflight for the first time.

Everything works. Try some first hover and works, think to tune it some more because when pushing it forward it keeps going forward.

Just another problem with my lipo, see picture.
Is this beyond repair?
Glad it works

Your battery is repairable - same thing happened to me.

Make sure all the balance connector wires are isolated from each other so you don't short circuit the battery or over-discharge it.

You can buy another separate battery balance connector and carefully solder the wires together or re-pin into the new connector. The order of the wires is important. Or, and what I did, was I stored my broken balance connector battery with the wires well insulated. And when I ruined another battery, I cannibalized it's balance connector and used it to repair my battery.

Remember that Li-Po batteries can be disastrous if handled wrongly so take super care. Some people may just advise you to dispose of it!

Enjoy
Jul 22, 2019, 03:12 PM
T3X
T3X
Thx.
Just start from bottom to top. Top is the +. Doesn't seam to hard.
Jul 22, 2019, 03:17 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
If the battery has no other damage than the connector, it can be replaced, just make sure no wires touch, and as mentioned before, the correct order in the balance plug.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 23, 2019, 11:34 AM

STX225 cinematic edit

grey2 (0 min 52 sec)

While you were talking about batteries..

Perhaps an opportunity to rebuild and dip paint the frame.

Check out this STX225 loom & STX225 frame with primer coat
Last edited by olgoz; Jul 23, 2019 at 11:46 AM.
Jul 29, 2019, 08:00 AM
T3X
T3X
Looking good.

As you know about my broken balance plug, I created a temporary solution photo 1, I also getting errors try loading on all my lipos, error cell connection, I opened the charger and found the problem. Soldered two wires and no problem now.

Time to get in the air... I have been practicing on a simulator the last 7 days.
Aug 07, 2019, 08:45 AM

STX225 w bi-blade low pitch props

Finally got my bi-blade props! Going to try them out just now..

They are Kingkong 5040. Slightly lower pitch than the STX225 5042 props.

Still waiting for JJRC JJPRO 5030 bi-blade props - even lower pitch.

I suspect efficiency AND performance will be better!

Otherwise why would the drone tech giants DJI not use tri-blades? From the research it looks to me like bi-blade is just BETTER.

I will update this post with informal "results."

I am also trying to LASER CUT some thin cork sheeting to use as motor mount dampeners - if anyone has a blueprint of the STX225 2204 motor bottom plate I would be most appreciative!

Oh, my hydro-dipping endeavour was an epic failure by the way - I think because my current atmospheric conditions being so dry, is not favourable to successful hydro-dipping. Took me about an hour to gently scratch all the messy paint off my frame..

Cheers for now.

UPDATE : With bi-blades definitely about 10% longer flight times. Not a lot but just noticeable. However, with bi-blades it is a bit wobbly at times. The odd yaw-jitter here and there. Perhaps such a light quad as this is more stable with grippy tri-blades..? Top-end speed is less with lower pitch bi-blades. The quad is a lot more portable and easier to pack in a smaller space with bi-blades. Also, with bi-blades, the sound of the quad in flight has a lower pitch.
Last edited by olgoz; Aug 08, 2019 at 01:51 AM.
Aug 08, 2019, 09:47 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Bi blade props are more efficient, and in certain situations will generate a higher top speed, but they are less "grippy" in the corners, and they don't generate as much thrust as tri blade props.

Tri blades bite harder, so you can corner, and change directions more quickly, and the quad accelerates faster when coming out of those corners, and directional changes. DJI use bi blades because they give better flight times. Acceleration, speed, and cornering are not something they even consider.

Keep us posted on your results. I have no doubt that you will definitely see improved flight times, and probably a slight increase in top speed.
Aug 14, 2019, 03:12 PM
T3X
T3X
Hi to you all.
Just have been flying today, 30 seconds, crash and a wire from receiver has come of. So now I did some changes, put the akk endless vtx on, easy to record video with everything on the SD card including OSD. Nice but the quality is a bit crap. But have the firefly cam also, gives a clean view but with 160 degree it looks a tiny bit odd.
But I think I need a bigger drone.... Just kidding.

STX225 with Firefly recording (0 min 49 sec)

STX225 With VTX recording (0 min 50 sec)
Last edited by T3X; Aug 19, 2019 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Added video
Sep 18, 2019, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Bi blade props are more efficient, and in certain situations will generate a higher top speed, but they are less "grippy" in the corners, and they don't generate as much thrust as tri blade props.

Tri blades bite harder, so you can corner, and change directions more quickly, and the quad accelerates faster when coming out of those corners, and directional changes. DJI use bi blades because they give better flight times. Acceleration, speed, and cornering are not something they even consider.

Keep us posted on your results. I have no doubt that you will definitely see improved flight times, and probably a slight increase in top speed.
This is all very accurate and I don't have much to add except that the tri-blades make this light quad more stable in the air.

Unfortunately I crashed hard into my roof a couple of weeks ago - and I'm only getting into the full rebuild now.

I damaged a motor pretty bad but having ordered 2 of these kits from Banggood, and 1 from Gearbest (yet to arrive, 3 MONTHS late now!), I have plenty of parts to play with.

In my quest to make small improvements to the STX225, check out these motor dampeners I have laser cut out of .8mm cork sheeting and then stuck some sticker paper, also laser cut, to add a bit of strength..
Sep 18, 2019, 04:21 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Very cool mod! Sorry to hear about the crash, and sorry to hear about the GB order being so late. Have you contacted Gearbest through RCGroups? If not, I would do so, and see what they have to say. That is unacceptable, and they need to make it right.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Very cool mod! Sorry to hear about the crash, and sorry to hear about the GB order being so late. Have you contacted Gearbest through RCGroups? If not, I would do so, and see what they have to say. That is unacceptable, and they need to make it right.
I ordered it on 16th June 2019 - DHL! At the time, no mention of it being out of stock. And it hasn't even been dispatched yet from GB.

When I try to inquire I get quickly dismissed my the auto-reply bots. And when I speak to a 'person' they keep rolling back expected arrival of stock dates. The latest being the 21st of this month (September).

So, fingers-crossed, it will dispatch in a couple of days - but if not, please do advise how I'd be able to get to them through RCGROUPS?

Quick Reply