Sep 12, 2018, 12:44 AM
Discussion

Telemaster from foam 1150mm

G'day everyone.

Recently a mate say me flying one of my slope gliders with a head torch at a youth event in town... asked me how much/how far/how high etc. and seemed really interested. Well he got back in touch with me and asked me to build him a plane, with the eventual goal of FPV aerial photography.

So I started building a Telemaster from scaled down 40. size balsa plans, out of foam. The plan is to go 4 ch, with tail dragger undercarriage and plenty of dihedral.

My electronics setup will be as follows:

Blue wonder 1700kv
8x3.8 prop
1000mah 2S
12A ESC
3x HXT500

I am wondering if anyone has a simple, 4ch radio or 2S charger I can give him with the plane. I have a old 29mhz one but it is klunky as and doesn't work very well.

I will post some pictures of the plane when I make a little more progress!

Abe
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2018, 01:02 PM
flyin' fool
Check the laws pertaining to FPV in your country. Most have very strict regulations now and big fines to go along with breaking them.

Pick the right servo for power and gear size. HXT500 servos are good on small models, say 6/7 ounces tops and the gears strip very easy when impacted in any way.

I used them for many yers, but have loads of spare gear sets. Got fed up repairing them all the time and went with 5.6 gram metal geared servos.
Sep 12, 2018, 06:00 PM
Thanks goldguy, FPV is legal in Australia up to 2000mW on 5.8ghz. I've been flying FPV for a few years, we are in quite a remote place so we always have a nice clean bandwidth.

As for HXT500's, my plan was to have one each driving rudder and elevator and a single one for the ailerons in the center operating them with pushrods in snakes, like the PZ Spitfire.

I am making it as light and slow flying as possible, because of the limited power of the blue wonder and probably made the airframe a tad too large. Target weight is 300g.
I have some 9g servos I can fit if required.

Abe
Sep 12, 2018, 08:40 PM
Regarding the plane I'd go Bixler or mini Talon like configuration. Also, I'd get rid of the LG. Another option could be DS wing.
BTW, you should check current draw but 8x4 on 1700kV blue wonder might be too much.
Sep 12, 2018, 09:42 PM
elewon, thanks for your suggestions.

I was considering a bixler like configuration but from my experience the thrust line is pretty hard to get right!
The reason for the landing gear and puller motor set up, is I will be teaching him to fly and if it does crash, the motor should be fine because of the prop saver.

As for the 8x3.8, I'll keep a eye on the temp but that's the recommended prop for the HK version of the motor. can go down to a 7x4 if needed, but I will need all the thrust I can get.

What do you mean by DS wing?

Abe
Sep 13, 2018, 01:33 AM
Think you're on the right track. GG is right, the HXT500's have really weak gears, but should be fine on a 300g plane. That weight is also well within what a BW can carry - I've got several in the 300-350g range.

I've also had the problems you mention with scratch built pushers. Not only the down thrust, but also yaw/roll issues when changing throttle. Just makes it harder for a beginner as constantly need to re-trim. Use a prop saver and you are unlikely to bend BW shafts on a 300g plane, so pusher config does not really have any big advantage at that size. Props are consumables anyway

Why not make the LG removable?
Sep 13, 2018, 02:23 AM
Yep that pretty much sums up all my reasoning... yeah good idea might make the LG removable. was gonna just make it zip tied to a couple of ply plates in the fuse to could just cut them.
Sep 15, 2018, 09:59 AM
flyin' fool
When talking about the laws, regardless of where you live, I mean distance parameters, not flying out of 'line of site', always having a spotter and whether a license/insurance is required if commercial ……………. that sort of thing.

https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/lan...ones-australia
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 15, 2018 at 10:05 AM.
Sep 17, 2018, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabiruAbe

What do you mean by DS wing?

Abe
I meant the "Dead Simple" wing: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...cs-Video-Plans
Sep 17, 2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks goldguy.

Yep, I have been through CASA's website several times... I don't fly commercially and always over my own property. My radio gear is fairly short range, so I'm all legal.

elewon...

Thanks! I've already started the telemaster as he wants a plane that looks like a plane but I have build a few DS's in teh past.

Abe

Quick Reply