Dec 02, 2018, 10:36 PM
skumgummi dave
Glad to hear it Timbo. Love it when a plan comes together...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2018, 03:35 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Nice one timbo! She flies great mate! Very well done
Dec 20, 2018, 12:58 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Just a couple of updates on the larger VX. got the edf mounted where I "think" it'll work out. Not going to have a nice round tube for the air in/outlet for top efficiency , but I'm not looking to break the sound barrier I just want it to fly good.
Dec 24, 2018, 09:33 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
I would add a tube to the rear of the EDF. Just from personal experience. Card stock will work.

Dec 24, 2018, 04:06 PM
Yep, kinda wishing I had made the fuse bigger and used a tube, but I think it will still do ok. Hooked up every thing and did a test run on the edf and it was pulling the mostly together plane pretty good. I think I'll be ok. One thing I don't like with what I need to do is mount everything on top of the fuse to get a cleanish airflow on the edf. Poor planning on my part, should of left enough room for a bottom battery mount to distribute the weight better.
Dec 25, 2018, 08:13 PM
Had a little bit of time to do some more testing. Added the equivalent weight of all of the components and foam pieces and the edf did not do too will in the umph department with the extra weight. BHOFM's advice got me to do some online reading and found out just how important that thrust tube is. So I did some open heart surgery on the VX to unclog the arteries and did some math on a proper tube design...not too difficult, even for me...and added the proper size and length...and WOW!!!! what a difference that made, many thanks BHOFM for that input. I think I'll be able to put it all back together without much of a visible scar, funny part is adding the tube and inserting the edf this way was way easier then the original way I did it... Learn as I go. Good thing it's only cheap foam and time that is wasted, I have enough of both to spare.
Dec 28, 2018, 10:53 PM
Heeps better Timbo. Welldone
Dec 29, 2018, 09:14 AM
Thanks Duke. This is my first edf build attempt and it was good to get some advice, the plane would have not flown well without that simple tube on the back. Did a little bit of work last night, glued on the front canard and am using some thick pieces of balsa I had lying around for the side skirt connections for the wing and canard. Painted them white to match the foam and hopefully I'll remember to draw the VX designs while they're on a horizonal table before I get and a hurry and glue them on vertically.
Jan 02, 2019, 10:41 AM
Getting some more done...unfortunately the weight is increasing while I continue. If the cg location is the same as the smaller one then I'll have to use a large 2200 battery way up front to balance it. Did a vertical thrust test with the extra weight and the plane was barely pulling it. Gotta check online when I get off work and see if the motor can take a 4 cell battery, pretty sure it can. I have a 1800 4s that should be about the equivalent weight of the 2200 3s. If all that fails, an online order for a larger edf and more surgery is planned.
Jan 05, 2019, 09:27 PM
All done, weighed it with the battery and went way over the 500 grams I was shooting for. All the extra cutting and gluing didn't help none...anyways, gonna try to madien it in the morning. It still feels like it'll have enough thrust to keep it in the air but I'm not expecting it to do more than that.
Jan 06, 2019, 02:36 AM
Too much xmas ham there Timbo.... ...
Looks like she'll be coming in hot on the landing.
Make sure you give her a good toss on the maiden, it'll have bugger all static trust compared to a prop mate.
Good luck and happy arrivals
Jan 06, 2019, 07:58 AM
Thanks Duke. Sun will be coming up soon and the wind gods are taking a break today so I'll be out doing a maiden in a little bit.
Jan 06, 2019, 09:59 AM
Cool man !! Looks like the weather gods are smiling on you....
How does it go at full throttle on the vertical? Like holding on to the wing and pointing it straight up. Close to 1:1??
Jan 06, 2019, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
How does it go at full throttle on the vertical? Like holding on to the wing and pointing it straight up. Close to 1:1??
No not even close..... anyways just got back and like I expected, I threw with all my arm 'and throttle' could give and the plane just barely kept off the ground, almost looked like a hover car it was so low.. Left my 4 cell batteries at home because I wasn't sure about using one and frying the motor, but I did test one on it when I got back and it will just about do 1:1.
I'll have to do more testing with the 4s and see if nothing gets too hot and try again with one if it looks posible to use it. If all else fails a larger 64 mm edf is what I may have to replace this 50 mm with.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jan 06, 2019 at 07:15 PM.
Jan 06, 2019, 01:27 PM
Dam Timbo! that's a killer looking plane mate well done. What sort of W/S is that one?

I thought you had a 64 in there already lol...
I've never had any success with a 50mm EDF. Never been able to find a good one.
I have a HK 7in1 tester that I plug in-line to test the static amp draw which gives you a "ball-park" range to keep you from cooking anything
Have a look on-line at the specs of your 50 edf and see if it's rated for 4s..... HTHs

Quick Reply