Sep 30, 2018, 07:33 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Thanks Nute,I was thinking since the winglets were inverted only and not also on top they would only cause problems. After cutting them off I did notice a little more instability than with them on, so yes, I'll be regluing them back on.
I know already about increasing the chord on the elevators ( these were already done, so I left them as is )and cg placement...you've helped me on that in the past. But I wanted to build it to "almost" scale to the picture. And even tho I do like the canards, I think I'll just go with elevons when I go to the larger build for ease of construction and complications.
I went back to my plans last night and adjusted some of it and I think I'm ready to print out and build a 40 inch ws. But I still need to finish up the larger shotbox build first, I want to see how that one will fly as a larger build also.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2018, 10:37 AM

It flew

Just got back from a successful flight with the wings flat and the winglets back on. I do believe now for sure it has potential to fly good with all of the adjustments made to the updated plans.
VX-30 rc plane better flight (1 min 37 sec)
Sep 30, 2018, 11:55 AM
skumgummi dave
Smooth! Much more controllable. Great progress. Looking forward to the larger air frame.

Dave-
Oct 01, 2018, 09:40 AM
This guy post this on my youtube channel...

David Davids
well, you may eventually get it to fly. but, have you Ever seen a full-size aircraft with a BIG hole in its wing. NO. why not? i suggest you Learn more about the 'why' of airframe design. this airframe represents zero correct design. cheers

I guess he's never seen a Geobat...one of my favorites. ...and many of the other holed planes many have built and flown here.
I hope he catches the second video.
Oct 01, 2018, 10:39 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
This guy post this on my youtube channel...

David Davids
well, you may eventually get it to fly. but, have you Ever seen a full-size aircraft with a BIG hole in its wing. NO. why not? i suggest you Learn more about the 'why' of airframe design. this airframe represents zero correct design. cheers

I guess he's never seen a Geobat...one of my favorites. ...and many of the other holed planes many have built and flown here.
I hope he catches the second video.

LOL!

There those that DO and those that sit on the sidelines and critique.
Oct 01, 2018, 01:50 PM
Yep, thinking of sending him a link to my "weird things that fly" thread and really make him crazy.
Oct 01, 2018, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Just got back from a successful flight with the wings flat and the winglets back on. I do believe now for sure it has potential to fly good with all of the adjustments made to the updated plans.
https://youtu.be/XltFyh5sJVg
Yeah, that seemed a lot better.
I have no doubt the larger version will work out just fine.
Nov 26, 2018, 10:06 PM

better and better

Ok, cut and reglued the wings again and put in some dihedral, an even better flight. Confidence is building...
Anyways, started on the larger version this weekend, thinking I'll gonna go with edf on this one just because I have one that should give it enough thrust and it should fit inside the fuse.....I think....

VX-30 test flight with dihedral (2 min 16 sec)
Nov 27, 2018, 01:30 AM
Nice!
When you build the larger one, try to eliminate the flexing - that can bite you (don't want the wings ripping off in unintentionally high G maneuver - been there )
Nov 27, 2018, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Nice!
When you build the larger one, try to eliminate the flexing - that can bite you (don't want the wings ripping off in unintentionally high G maneuver - been there )
Oh yeah, it'll have a spar. Since I've just been experimenting with this one the bamboo spar is pretty much useless now since the wings been cut and reglued a few times.
Cut out the 40 incher wing and canard as one piece on a thick slab of 10 mm foam and carved and sanded a reasonable airfoil into the wings and canard. Still probably not really necessary at this size, but hey, why not. Trying to decide if I should separate them and put the canard on the bottom of the fuse because of the air disturbance the elevators can cause over the main wings. If I had just uses elevons I don't think it would be as much of an issue to think about. It would not be a problem to cut and fit it, but I like the idea of the plane taking a bad landing with the canard higher off the ground.
Hmmm, photos won't load, says error loading. I'll try later when I get off work.
Nov 27, 2018, 10:32 PM
Got home and cut off !again! the main wings and remounted them back on the upper fuse. Added some side winglets and I like the way it looks so I may do the larger one the same way. No dihedral now so let's see how it'll fly next time in this configuration.
Dam, still getting "error, upload of file fail" looks like at least one went through.
Nov 27, 2018, 11:17 PM
skumgummi dave
Cowabunga dude!
Dec 01, 2018, 08:14 AM
Since I like the way it looks with the canard on the bottom I decided to do the larger one the same. I cut them off the one piece design and will also add a little incedence to them when mounted, I lost an inch and half off the ws due to stupidity in cutting but it's not a big deal. Looks like the edf will fit for sure in the fuse, just need to roll up a tube for it and figure out where to mount it.
What is going on? Still can only get one photo to upload...
Dec 02, 2018, 10:21 PM
Took the VX-30 out this morning. It flew very well with the latest adjustments made, Canard on the bottom and wings on top proved the best configuration so far. Had gust of winds of at least 15 mph and the plane did well in those moments when the winds picked up while the VX-30 was up in the air. Sorry, no video, wasn't expecting it to go so well so I didn't bring the hat cam.

Quick Reply