Sep 25, 2018, 08:23 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Ok, let's see what can I say about how well it flys...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2018, 08:29 PM
skumgummi dave
OK, so what happened?

Dave-
Sep 25, 2018, 11:40 PM
Dang!
What the heck happened?!
Any video?
Sep 26, 2018, 06:48 AM
As to what caused the damage, it was a plane eating tree and minimum structural strength. Fortunately the tree only like kites because it spit the plane out to the ground after it took a bite, so no climbing or limb shaking was necessary.
Now to the test flights...I did manage to get three very short ones, and yes video also. As expected the small size and anhedieral wings did not help...and the fact that I only get a chance to fly only about once a month doesn't help either. Maiden was successful...I say successful because it was still in one piece afterwards....it flew like it still needed more weight up front but the landing was smooth and straight, which should have been a clue for the biggest problem I was having. The plane would bank to the right and I had difficulty getting it to turn left. Thinking that something was off in the build I checked the alignment of everything except the motor. I think motor torque was what was causing it, I don't remember cutting the throttle to test that theory except during the first landing which I did not think about at the time. Anyways during the third flight the wind had pick up a little in the direction that the plane was heading into the tree and the rest of the story is in the picture.
It is of course repairable and I will probably get it back together when I have time this weekend and the videos should be post then also.
Sep 26, 2018, 11:43 AM
skumgummi dave
Good work Timbo!
Sep 26, 2018, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
Good work Timbo!
What do you mean good work!!!? Did you see my poor plane?.....Just kidding, thanks. Yeah, I like learning by trying. Some people say learn by others experience or mistakes but I like hands on experience...as long as it's cost effective and no one is getting hurt.
I'll move the main wings on this one to the bottom of the fuse same as the front is when I repair it to see how much eliminating the anhedieral helps the plane for the next test. On the larger version that I will eventually get to I'll also probably just use elevons and take out the minor complications of the elevator build ( which , surprisingly were large enough for good control authority ), and mount the wings through the middle of the fuse...instead of the bottom... which should help. And I've already increased the nose section on the plans to aid cg issues. So, I'm expecting with all these improvements and the larger size it should fly much better and still retain the cool looks of the original design. Almost done with the shark and just finished cutting out a bigger shotbox so the larger VX30 build may be a little delayed while I finish these other projects and test them. Also still need to download and edit/merge the vids of this one and post it.
Sep 27, 2018, 08:13 PM
Repairs completed. Moved the main wings to the bottom of the fuse...no more anhedieral....let's see how much of a difference that makes. Also added some shims to the motor to see if I was right about why it was bankin to the right from the torque.
Sep 27, 2018, 10:40 PM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!

Repairs

Well it still looks good Timbo.
Sep 28, 2018, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookit
Well it still looks good Timbo.
Thanks, yep.... from a distance....you gotta love the healing properties of foam.
Last edited by Timbo383; Sep 28, 2018 at 05:23 AM.
Sep 28, 2018, 06:37 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Timbo,
You're repaired planes looks better than some I've built and haven't flown yet!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this unique craft fly. The larger version you spoke about building really intrigues me.
Sep 28, 2018, 08:05 AM
Thanks BB, the only reason for building a larger version is just for better wing loading, it will only be about a 40 inch ws. The smaller one is a little twitchy, which I expected it would be, but I think the bigger one will fly fine once I get the small details figured out. I almost always build my untested planes from a sheet of dtf and bamboo skewers, so I won't be out of alot of money if I think it won't even fly good on a bigger scale and I have to scrap it.
I've been thinking on using only elevons for the next one and make the build simpler. And since I have alot of room in the mid fuse area I've been contemplating using an edf, but it's just so much easier to install a prop motor and not having to mess with the air ductwork so I don't know on that decision yet.
Sep 28, 2018, 08:50 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
I'm not a huge fan of EDFs (see what I did there?)

From what I understand they do not produce enough thrust at low RPMs to allow you to fly slow. And I enjoy flying low and slow at times. Plus, they are LOUD as hell! I know a prop is loud. But I can take that.
Sep 28, 2018, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy

From what I understand they do not produce enough thrust at low RPMs to allow you to fly slow.
That is true, but if the plane is light weight and has enough wing area for good lift, which I think this one could be like that....a mid mounted edf would allow me to not have to have that extra weight up front to balance it....it could fly/float low and slow. I built a simple profile type prop in slot f-22 a year or so ago and replaced the motor after I burned it out with and edf just for fun. And except for the extra thrust for getting out of deep trouble, it could fly and float just as before. I could come in low and there was "just enough" thrust to keep from dirt diving due to the light weight of the profile only design and large wing area keeping it from doing so.
Sep 29, 2018, 09:13 PM
Ok, got all three short semi flight vids merged together, I'm going need to find a good "free video program" that doesn't add the watermark to the videos. But anyways here's my first video editing attempt...and it is a crappy job, a lot more studying to do. I'll get better as I do more. Suppose to be a decent day tomorrow, I'll try to get in a good flight with what I've learn not to do and hopefully get lucky with better, smoother flight time.

VX-30 RC plane madien (4 min 9 sec)
Sep 30, 2018, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Ok, got all three short semi flight vids merged together, I'm going need to find a good "free video program" that doesn't add the watermark to the videos. But anyways here's my first video editing attempt...and it is a crappy job, a lot more studying to do. I'll get better as I do more. Suppose to be a decent day tomorrow, I'll try to get in a good flight with what I've learn not to do and hopefully get lucky with better, smoother flight time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSgCoRu4vA
Not a bad start for this plane. And my video skills are even worse than yours
By the way, those inverted vertical winglets actually help prevent stall at tips and reduce induced drag (reduces wing tip votices) - so it may well be worth the extra weight.
Also, especially for this design, making elevators with larger chord only (like double) and moving CG forward will make the plane a lot more predictable (lots of reasons - I won't bore you with the details unless you request them).

Quick Reply