This thread is privately moderated by mmalmsten, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 11, 2018, 07:07 PM
Discussion

Hobbyzone SuperCub (At least it used to be)

My first plane was a HobbyZone SuperCub that I got for Xmas several years ago. I have crashed and bashed it several times over the years so outside of the basic foam pieces it does not much in common with the original plane. It basically has become a test bed for developing/testing out building techniques, etc.

I have modified the wing so that it bolts on rather use rubber bands, replaced all the electronics and added ailerons, flaps and built floats for it.

I thought I would create this thread to document some of the changes I have made in the past and moving forward.
Last edited by mmalmsten; Sep 11, 2018 at 09:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2018, 07:32 PM

Floats for the SuperCub

I found some plans on the web for floats and designed a pair to fit the cub using an article from Chuck Cunningham to size and mount them properly. I built the floats out of pink foam and covered them with fiberglass. They are very light weight and work great. Some build pictures of the floats below.

Mike
Sep 11, 2018, 09:08 PM

The Latest Bash

My last crash was pretty hard spin into the ground that cracked the fuse just in front of the rudder/elevator. After Gorilla Gluing it back together the fuse was still spongy so I had to make a decision finally scrap the plane or go all in on a repair.

I decided to go all in on the repair as it provided me an opportunity to try covering foam with brown masking paper. Besides the fuse issue the wing was getting spongy from to many flights with the original loose wing struts. I ended up covering the whole plane using TiteBond II and am pretty happy with the results. I did not save the numbers but the weight gain was not as bad as I thought it would be. The resulting covering definitely stiffened everything back up and it also provided a good surface for painting.

Besides the covering I redid the wind struts. The bolt onto the fuse and attached solidly to the wings. I used fairly thing piano wire covered with bass wood. These are solid and look way better.

For the pain scheme I decide to paint it as an Alaska State Trooper plane. Since I plan to fly this off of floats more than anything I thought it was a cool combination.

Some pictures below.
Sep 11, 2018, 09:13 PM

More Pictures of the Latest Incarnation

Some more pictures.
Sep 11, 2018, 09:26 PM

Rudder for Floats

I was having some steering issues on my water take-offs so added a rudder for the floats. It is a pull-pull system connected to the rudder servo. I used 8 lb spider wire fishing line for the cable. The rudder flips up as you gain speed in the water.

IMG 3116 (0 min 27 sec)

Quick Reply