Jun 19, 2019, 05:09 PM

Stuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by G McIntosh
I painted over the covering.. added panel lines & rivets.
I just gave it a good wipe down. I used Duplicolor automotive. Just did my own thing on this one.
Well, it the neatest idea I’ve seen in a long time! If someone had a black cox Stuka like I did back in the day will understand. You inspired me and I ordered this plane...I’m not really a big warbird guy but what videos I’ve seen of this Stuka flying and landing ...it seems to do well!

also...would you please give me a quick rundown on how you did the rivets and also how you made the yellow German decals?
Last edited by flynut007; Jun 19, 2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: asking question
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 07:09 PM
Sure , weíll one of the main reasons I didnít strip it .. the printed panel line& rivets are there. so the rivets are canopy glue over the printed ones.. the panel lines are just 1/64 fine line tape. I gave everything a lite non build primer .. Spray bombed everything. The bottom of the winds are done in model masters paint. I made my own gun and cannon barrels on the lathe. Itís ready too fly as soon as I get a chance.
Jun 19, 2019, 07:12 PM
The graphics are vinyl .. I found on line .. under 20 bucks
Jun 19, 2019, 08:14 PM
It used to be that the "shelf paper" type covering was frowned upon. I think I like it better....

I just ordered some parts for my Weller KDS 808 so that I can "rivet" mine.

Rc 56 canopy glue ? Does it stick well or did you prep the surface prior to adding the rivets?
Last edited by Broken Wings; Jun 19, 2019 at 08:25 PM.
Jun 19, 2019, 08:30 PM
Sticks great .. titebond works well too..
wipe it down
Jun 22, 2019, 03:55 PM
Got mine ready to fly with a DLE-55ra. Running the engine and it seems to be overheating. Anyone else having any issues with the engine getting hot with the cowl on?
Jun 23, 2019, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
Got mine ready to fly with a DLE-55ra. Running the engine and it seems to be overheating. Anyone else having any issues with the engine getting hot with the cowl on?
I have one about to start the build. DA60 is my choice of power and wondering the same thing. Did you cut the grill out for better airflow or not? I will be using a jtec Pitts muffler also...hope people reply if heating has been a problem seems to be a tight fit for everything . Such a nice cowl and hope I donít have to cut much.
Jun 23, 2019, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
Your engine will run cool if you install a baffle that forces all the incoming air through the cylinder fins. I used 1/8" plywood cut to fit as close to the cylinder as possible. I also cut out the grill in the cowl. No other cooling holes needed for my DLE55RA.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Jul 21, 2019, 06:58 PM
I removed the grills from the cowling on mine, flies with a G-62 never ran hot, used the Tony Clark carb re-locator kit and a slimline muffler, all fits inside the cowl I run a 20x10 , gives it a nice scale flight, I have yet to use the flaps on landing. That is mine on Tower Hobbies website-- stripped all the printed vinyl off, glassed and painted it. construction was solid. I used the wood 20x10 prop for the maiden, falcon 20x10 after. pardon the potato quality pictures. Modelled it after a winter Russian front variant. It is a great flying bird, I would not hesitate to call it the piper cub of warbirds.
Jul 21, 2019, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneJohny
I removed the grills from the cowling on mine, flies with a G-62 never ran hot, used the Tony Clark carb re-locator kit and a slimline muffler, all fits inside the cowl I run a 20x10 , gives it a nice scale flight, I have yet to use the flaps on landing. That is mine on Tower Hobbies website-- stripped all the printed vinyl off, glassed and painted it. construction was solid. I used the wood 20x10 prop for the maiden, falcon 20x10 after. pardon the potato quality pictures. Modelled it after a winter Russian front variant. It is a great flying bird, I would not hesitate to call it the piper cub of warbirds.
Excellent Job! What does your model weigh with the G-62?
Jul 22, 2019, 02:56 AM
Lovely job on the paint and weathering---looks great

Mike
Jul 22, 2019, 03:47 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
When you say its overheating, have you got telemetry on it, or are you experiencing it leaning out and losing power? If the latter, then you are likely to experience the same problem many of the 'RA' users have. The carb sits right above the exhaust, and starts 'cooking' the fuel in the carb. This is exascerbated in tight cowls with limited airflow behind the engine. Easy fix is to put a heatshield between them. Wood covered in foil or heat tape fits nicely between the lower standoffs.
Had the same problem with a Seagull Stuka, much improved since done as above.
Jul 22, 2019, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wings
Excellent Job! What does your model weigh with the G-62?
its right at 27 lbs flies great.
Jul 26, 2019, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga
When you say its overheating, have you got telemetry on it, or are you experiencing it leaning out and losing power? If the latter, then you are likely to experience the same problem many of the 'RA' users have. The carb sits right above the exhaust, and starts 'cooking' the fuel in the carb. This is exascerbated in tight cowls with limited airflow behind the engine. Easy fix is to put a heatshield between them. Wood covered in foil or heat tape fits nicely between the lower standoffs.
Had the same problem with a Seagull Stuka, much improved since done as above.
Heat was building up quickly inside the cowl shortly after starting the engine and it would lean out a stop. I opened a larger size hole where the exhaust exits and it seemed to eliminate 90% of the issue. I like your idea of the heat shield and will add that before flying it again. Thanks for the tip!
Jul 28, 2019, 07:27 PM
Registered Foam Abuser
Did the maiden on mine today. The plane flew fine. I'm use to 3D acrobatic planes so this seemed slow and unresponsive but that is just me getting use to a big warbird.
I was unable to get a second flight in due to a issue with the tail wheel. I have not had a chance to see exactly what went wrong but there is a lot of slack in the pull pull cables. I was turning around to prepare for takeoff, gave it some throttle and it did not turn. Since there are no brakes I could only watch as the left wing hit a fence pole. Oh well. Gotta do some repairs.

Quick Reply