3D Printed Powered Paraglider Frame

This project on Thingiverse provides all the part files you need to 3D print a complete powered paraglider frame.

Splash

Make Your Own Frame

3D Printers are a hobby in their own right, but they certainly come in handy for the radio controlled hobby. You can make parts and add-ons for your models and even make entire airframes that fly well. RCGroups contributor Nikolei sent me this powered paraglider frame project and I thought it would fun to share.

The project on Thingiverse provides all the part files you need to 3D print a complete powered paraglider frame. It looks pretty neat and it is sized to run an 8" prop. The designer used a Turnigy 2816 motor with 1200kv. He used 55g MG servos to power the arms for steering. Other details are light, but he did say he was using the HobbyKing Paraglider Parafoil for the wing. I know a lot of people ended up with those wings because they are so cheap so if anyone decides to give this project a go, please let us know how it turned out for you. We'd love to see pics and video of it in action.

Check out the 3D Printed Powered Paraglider Frame Here

Sep 11, 2018, 09:52 AM
To each's own , you can buy it cheaper IMO !
DanT
Sep 11, 2018, 09:54 AM
RCG Admin
Really? This is probably a few bucks worth of Filiment.
Sep 11, 2018, 10:59 AM
I actually printed this myself and maidened it this past weekend.

Bought a kite off ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-8m-Du...72.m2749.l2649
RCG User BBerg and I did have to modify it to get the right angle of attack though. We had to shorten the front rigging by 3.75"

Flight Video is uploading to youtube now. Ill edit it in when it finishes.
Last edited by ar3929; Sep 15, 2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: wrong length
Sep 11, 2018, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Really? This is probably a few bucks worth of Filiment.
Just my thought ,,, did you count the printer ?
We all think differently .
Have fun.
DanT
Sep 11, 2018, 11:27 AM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar3929

RCG User BBerg and I did have to modify it to get the right angle of attack though. We had to shorten the front rigging by 3.5"

Nice! Can't wait to see it.
Sep 11, 2018, 11:27 AM
RCG Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Just my thought ,,, did you count the printer ?
We all think differently .
Have fun.
DanT

Ha, yeah. Assuming those interested would already have a printer accounted for, but I see what you mean.
Sep 11, 2018, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Ha, yeah. Assuming those interested would already have a printer accounted for, but I see what you mean.
Please don't get me wrong here,, I would love to have a Paraglider aircraft , but,, after seeing the prices .. Ouch!
It's all about fun ,, I hear some people like to pull weeds in there yard ??? LOL
DanT
Sep 11, 2018, 01:12 PM
Flying Low
This is pretty neat.
Sep 11, 2018, 07:37 PM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Very nice project.
Sep 12, 2018, 09:25 AM
Very cool, looks like fun
Sep 15, 2018, 03:31 AM
looking forward to seeing the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar3929

RCG User BBerg and I did have to modify it to get the right angle of attack though. We had to shorten the front rigging by 3.5"

Sep 15, 2018, 09:53 AM
A few libraries in my area have 3D printers so check with your local libraries before investing in one.
Sep 15, 2018, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Nice! Can't wait to see it.
Well its not the best video but she's flying:
3D Printed Paramotor (0 min 45 sec)

It was a long weekend but I think just before this flight we lost the left brake line and we made the most of it.

Cheers
Sep 15, 2018, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by specriv
A few libraries in my area have 3D printers so check with your local libraries before investing in one.
Exactly, I did this for two years, before investing in my own 3D printer. My local library only charged per gram of filament...i think it was 5cents.

Quick Reply