Sep 15, 2018, 05:29 PM
Not a warbird but hoping it somehow qualifies: think of a futuristic biplane, twin booms, add tricycle fixed landing-gear, and a turbojet engine... Imagining it could have been used in close-air-support or counterinsurgency roles but was relegated to crop-dusting. Know what I'm talking about?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2018, 06:21 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Skydrewl, going to need more hints I think....a pic fragment perhaps.

Jacob, the Savio Marchetti is, is, is really a Nugly duckling as is the BV138 I posted.. Sorry, it had to be said. Ha.

Was at the Gatineau air show today, and the vampire was the nugliest of them all. Actually it is almost to good looking to be Nugly, but I was really excited to see plywood fly that fast without flying apart....

Jon

E9F11FC4 3DF5 4CDC 9848 8BB645A81BE3 (0 min 15 sec)

8F6CE44C CED4 40CE 89AA C1F72556425D (0 min 12 sec)
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 15, 2018 at 06:31 PM.
Sep 15, 2018, 06:22 PM
Life is short, buy the boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrewl
not a warbird but hoping it somehow qualifies: Think of a futuristic biplane, twin booms, add tricycle fixed landing-gear, and a turbojet engine... Imagining it could have been used in close-air-support or counterinsurgency roles but was relegated to crop-dusting. Know what i'm talking about?
pzl m-15?
Sep 15, 2018, 07:55 PM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobault2001
pzl m-15?
That's what I was thinking too!

The British certainly had a number of planes during the war that were at least "nugly". Consider the first plane to use the geodetic structure designed by Barnes Wallis (Perhaps better known for the Upkeep, Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs):
Sep 15, 2018, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobault2001
pzl m-15?
That's the one.

Was to use this picture for the hint:
Sep 15, 2018, 08:20 PM
really?!? just yesterday I was watching an aeronautics show and the M-15 was mentioned. funny coincidence.
Sep 15, 2018, 10:16 PM
http://alternathistory.com/content/t...-linke-hofmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit100
TR, agreed, enough planes to build for a lifetime.

Another cool one would have to be wrapped in Saran Wrap. In WW1 the Germans built and tested this plane (Linke-Hofmann R.1) to be invisible, or at least hard to see from the ground. Not perdy, and looks flimsy. Apparently it was quite hard to see and shoot at.

I especially like it because you can see all the structure that we could replicate in a scratch build.

Jon
Sep 16, 2018, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs_123
looks like a Mahi-mahi fish...
Sep 16, 2018, 07:16 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Agreed.

Jrs, thanks for the link. Great pictures of the mahi-mahi plane! Super that there is a 3 view there too. Just noticed it’s engine must be in the fuselage, with chain drives out to the props. The fuselage interior was probably full of exhaust fumes and goop.

This would make for an extremely challenging scratch build, because of the chain drive props. Definitely one of the nugliest out there....

Thanks for posting it.
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 16, 2018 at 07:55 AM.
Sep 16, 2018, 07:34 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Jacob, that would be a great build.

Cf105, the Weslessley is on the edge for me because it is really quite elegant....fortunately it has some odd details like the slippers under the wing, and a confection of other bits and pieces stuck on from what looks like other planes....making it nice and ugly enough.

Jon
Sep 16, 2018, 07:45 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Skydrewl, you really peeked my interest with the PLZ M-15. Nugly jets are rare and hard to find. I have not built a jet before, but this would be the top of the list.

Jon
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 18, 2018 at 06:58 PM.
Sep 16, 2018, 01:46 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
A weird Waco 'pusher'. Not sure if it's nice or ugly.

Ideal if you have a motor with a bent shaft

Waco Model W Aristocraft
Sep 16, 2018, 04:07 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
Are you taking glider suggestions, here's our scratch built 1/3rd scale IS-5 (and you can get a slightly larger scale kit from Oldtime gliders)
Is this a “Baynes Bat”? Just guessing, as usual.
Sep 16, 2018, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Ideal if you have a motor with a bent shaft
Waco Model W Aristocraft
Got a chuckle out of the addition...

Concerning that Belphedor, those pictures of the baby blue, yellow, white subject are what I thought most colorful - another I found in likely flyable condition is this one (1st pic):

While searching images for this thread, I came across an image... perhaps more odd than nugly - wish I had saved it as I can't find it now and wanted to post... shucks.

Most likely pre-WWII as it had US Army Air Corps colors in the B&W photo, appeared Bellanca-ish because it had a high wing like a bipe and broad triangular-like, airfoiled struts that supported the main wing and pretty sure it was open-cockpit with rounded fuselage cross-section. Anybody seen it too? All I can find now is this subject (2nd pic) and don't think this is it...
Sep 16, 2018, 06:42 PM
Bellanca Aircruiser - quite a few in the bush in Canada

Quick Reply