Sep 11, 2018, 04:27 PM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Not much can beat this in the ugly dept.
First time I saw one of those was in a Mad Max movie, and I was certain it was something their model dept cobbled together from spare parts. What a surprise to discover it was an actual aircraft!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2018, 05:17 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Cf105, I wonder if the Fleet Fort is really too beautiful to be Nugly? Lovely plane. Forgot about the Mad Max plane too.

How about another Nugliesque war bird.....well military anyway.

Ooooh, ya, PL-12, that is disturbing.

You all are unearthing some really good scratch build possibilities! Very exciting. Hoping some of you plan to build them....

Jon
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 11, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Sep 12, 2018, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
First time I saw one of those was in a Mad Max movie, and I was certain it was something their model dept cobbled together from spare parts. What a surprise to discover it was an actual aircraft!
The aircraft in Mad Max was the Australian built Transavia PL 12 Airtruk ag aircraft, the one shown by turbonut is it's New Zealand built fore runner the Bennett PL 11 Airtruck. Two were constructed utilizing ex Harvard components (incl engines).
Both types were designed by Luigi Pellarini (hence the Pl prefix)
Sep 12, 2018, 02:37 AM
Diver-driver
Ahh i love nugly airplanes and there is quite a selection here already

But it wouldn’t be complete without my favorite the Fleet 50 Freighter !
Sep 12, 2018, 04:33 AM
Yes!
Sep 12, 2018, 06:38 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Very nice. Similar to this militarized bomber that I was looking at as a possible build....love that weird clunky strut gull winglet below the main wing. I have lost the actual plane name.....

The 3 view below would be enough to start a scratch build for sure....if I could just remember it’s name, ha, ha.

Spit100
Sep 12, 2018, 07:47 AM
Bellanca 77-140 Bomber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellanca_77-140
Sep 12, 2018, 09:23 AM
Arrowhead
Yeah, I’m starting to think the Fort is too pretty to be in this thread. But if that’s true the Hurricane with the jettisonable upper wing doesn’t belong either

Lots of planes here I’ve never seen nor heard of before. Great stuff - if nugly!
Sep 12, 2018, 10:52 AM
Diver-driver
And how about this one ?

There is a Facebook group that has an amazing turnout of completely strange airplanes, it’s in French but one can translate most posts anyway

It’s called :
Avions moches, bizarres, ratés, projets abandonnés et aviation insolite

If you are on FB check it out and you’ll be amazed at the nugliness
Sep 12, 2018, 11:00 AM
Diver-driver
Another favorite of mine (too many airplanes tonevrr build them all)

The Arsenal-Delanne 10-C2
Sep 12, 2018, 07:25 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
RPFJ, thanks for being the repository of all knowledge. The Bellanca would be a great build.

CF105, I really can’t believe the variety of unknown planes that are out there.

MB, love the droopy tail, hard to believe it would really fly.....totally Nugly to the max! The 10-C2 reminds me of some Payen designs I was looking at the were pretty disturbing looking.....but someone had already made a model of it.

Jon
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 13, 2018 at 05:57 AM.
Sep 12, 2018, 07:34 PM
I looked it up on the internet
Sep 13, 2018, 01:58 AM
Intermediate Multi
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but so far I'm intrigued with just about every plane in this thread.
Sep 13, 2018, 06:02 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
TR, agreed, enough planes to build for a lifetime.

Another cool one would have to be wrapped in Saran Wrap. In WW1 the Germans built and tested this plane (Linke-Hofmann R.1) to be invisible, or at least hard to see from the ground. Not perdy, and looks flimsy. Apparently it was quite hard to see and shoot at.

I especially like it because you can see all the structure that we could replicate in a scratch build.

Jon
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 13, 2018 at 06:12 AM.
Sep 13, 2018, 10:49 AM
good project for doculam!

Quick Reply