Sep 11, 2018, 06:43 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Discussion

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, what is the “Nugliest” plane of them all?

Part way through any build my mind often wanders to “the next” Nugly scale build. Always look for something unusual and really nice and ugly.

After awhile, I found another interwar gem. Also came across a lot of “Uber Nulgly” inter war, WW1, and WW2 warbirds.

What is your favourite Nugly warbird? Can you guess which Uber Nugly plane I have picked for my winter build?

Here is a Nugly one I found as an example.

Spit100
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 18, 2018 at 08:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2018, 07:30 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
And did I mention, another Nugly criteria is that it should not have been modelled before, and cannot be one of the main line warbirds like the Fokker triplanes, Spitfire, P51, hurricane of even the F4F....

Here is another Nuglie in my books.
Sep 11, 2018, 07:57 AM
Some HP Nuggliest at the start and towards the end of this clip that I hope will help you with your current build. (not the overstrand though)
I have come to the conclusion that passengers wait in the lounge at the airport so they don't witness the wings being locked (1.43)!

I like the two winged hurricane.

From London To Paris By Air circa 1923 Handley Page Transport; JQ Music (13 min 39 sec)
Sep 11, 2018, 09:35 AM
Arrowhead
I give you... the Fleet Fort. Was supposed to be an intermediate trainer, but was too easy to fly for the role. 101 were foisted on the RCAF and used as wireless operator trainers in Winnipeg and Calgary.
Sep 11, 2018, 10:07 AM
Fancy that -too easy to fly! I love the Fleet Fort
Sep 11, 2018, 10:12 AM
Pro Hoarder
Not much can beat this in the ugly dept.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 11, 2018, 10:54 AM
Ken Stuhr
I win..................

Note canard!!!
Sep 11, 2018, 11:01 AM
I have nothing to add but that fleet fort is quite cool looking. I like it
Sep 11, 2018, 11:57 AM
I would submit any of Igor Sikorsky's WWI aircraft. I submit the two below as classic examples.

Tom K
Sep 11, 2018, 01:38 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Wow, these are really Nugly. Some are downright ugly but in a cool way.

That Canard is exquisite. I agree that Sikorsky had a way of designing that was strangely alluring.

FWF, will watch the video when I get home from work. Will be interested to compare against the P-75 Overstrand I am currently working on.

Turbo nut, that is one homely looking plan for sure. Still it has a niceness about it.

How about this one? Large layer cake anyone?

No one has come too close to guessing my next Nugly plane build yet....

Spit100
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 11, 2018 at 05:30 PM.
Sep 11, 2018, 01:53 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
The worst, in my opinion, the --

Cri-Cri

I wont even show a picture.

Sep 11, 2018, 01:58 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Ha, ha, Shezaam...although technically not a warbird.

I like it because at1/4 scale it would fit easily in my little car....

B/t/w, I should mention that it was Steve85 who seems to have coined the word Nuglie. Credit were credit is due.

Jon
Last edited by Spit100; Sep 11, 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Sep 11, 2018, 03:24 PM
The Cri Cri has pretty amazing performance. This one is local and used to put in an appearance - just a quick pass - every now and then at the Pitney model flying field .
Sep 11, 2018, 03:49 PM
Incidentally, there has been some pretty high-powered skulduggery going on with some pretty small airplanes. It was all about who would be the first to fly an electric aircraft across the English Channel. The well engineered Pipistrel got sabotaged and it looked like the Company with all the money and influence would win, but unannounced, an electric Cri Cri crossed the Channel and then flew back, beating the favourite by a day!

Airbus claimed the Cri Cri was launched from another aircraft and the article below repeats that claim. It is an airshow trick that the father & son team that developed the electric Cri Cri often perform, but it wasn't necessary here. Anyway, the record setting electric Cri Cri and the Max Holst Broussard that it can be launched from at airshows would make a pretty interesting modelling project.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-electric.html
Sep 11, 2018, 04:13 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
RPFJ, interesting skulduggery for sure.

Another Nugly plane I came across, although not strictly a war bird....

Spit100

Quick Reply