Sep 10, 2018, 01:50 PM
SILURIA / UK
Thread OP
Discussion

MINIM OSD MWOSD - software for Ardupilot / iNAV / Betaflight / KISS / GPS OSD / PX4

Hello,
I'd like to share with RCGROUPS members some software development for the MINIM OSD hardware. We have been hiding away for last few years on the FPVLABS forum and have been encouraged to move back over to RCGROUPS which is more active and has a much larger following.

-------

MWOSD is an OSD firmware option built to support a wide range of popular flight control systems for multirotor, fixedwing and other UAV's that can interface to a standard minim / micro minim style of hardware.

If you haven’t used MWOSD before – or for a while here are some of the key features:
  • OSD with support for many of the popular flight controllers in use today
  • Runs on standard minim / micro minim and similar compatible hardware
  • GUI configurator with quick easy firmware flashing
  • Feature rich and stable functionality from 5 years of continued development

Supported platforms:
  • ARDUPILOT / APM
  • PX4
  • iNAV
  • BETAFLIGHT
  • GPS OSD without a flight controller
  • KISS
  • CLEANFLIGHT
  • DRONIN
  • TAULABS
  • HARIKIRI
  • DJI NAZA
  • BASEFLIGHT
  • BASELIGHT FIXEDWING

Fully configurable screen layouts:
Name: MWOSD R1.9 default view.PNG
Views: 272
Size: 138.2 KB
Description:

Key OSD features (where supported):
  • Switch between any 3 Layouts with a tx channel
  • Flight mode indicator - ACRO/STAB/RTL/HOLD/WAYPOINTS/NAV status
  • Voltage - Main battery & Video with alarm indicator
  • Amperage - draw and total used with alarm indicator
  • Speed (air and ground), distance and altitude with alarm indicator
  • Direction to home, graphical compass indicator and heading data
  • Climb / descend rate indicator with graphical vario
  • GPS information - satellite count / DOP value / date / time
  • GPS location – latitude/longitude with falsify option for privacy
  • RSSI – analogue, PWM or a control channel embedded
  • Positional MAP awareness mode
  • Flight timers – flight time and powered up time
  • Scrolling altitude and speed HUD
  • Artificial Horizon with scrolling altitude / speed HUD
  • Power and flight efficiency
  • Pitch / roll angles
  • Wind speed and direction indicator
  • Support for up to 6s cells
  • Virtual current sensor option - no hardware required
  • Voltage, current, distance and altitude alarm indicators
  • Maximum values recorded – distance, altitude, speed, current
  • Callsign / Pilot Icon
  • Throttle position
  • Temperature
  • Gimbal active indicator
  • Glidescope

Key GUI configurator features:
  • Built in firmware flash utility for quick and easy firmware updates
  • Drag/drop screen layout editor
  • OSD screen preview
  • Multiple pre-set screen layout templates for easy setup
  • Multiple fonts to choose
  • Font and pilot icon editors
  • Pre-set customisable OSD layouts can be selected from GUI
  • Lots of configurable and customisable elements!

Documentation, User guides and links:
Supported hardware:
  • Minim OSD
  • Micro minim OSD
  • For latest and recommended minim OSD compatible hardware – click here

Gui Configurator:
Name: MWOSD R1.9.PNG
Views: 180
Size: 222.9 KB
Description:

Included font choices:
Name: MWOSD R1.9 fonts.PNG
Views: 91
Size: 125.6 KB
Description:

www.mwosd.com
Last edited by Shikra; Sep 10, 2018 at 02:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2018, 01:22 AM
Leo
Awesome
Sep 20, 2018, 03:42 PM
ARS N40VI - I've Got GAS
FINALLY!!! Someone who knows more than the old posts from 2012, doing something with the readily available hardware that a lot of people have. So far, I've downloaded the firmware, uploaded it to the osd and hooked it up toe the Pixhawk on my 550 hex. Now I have to configure the Mavlink/MIssion Planner software to make the datastream appear correctly.

I've beaten my head against the wall so much, I have a flat spot in my head and a round spot in the wall, over the miminosd configuration software available elsewhere....then this comes along and is breathing a fresh breathe into the menacing project.

Perhaps once the Mavlink/Mission Planner stuff is done, it'll work... Stand by for the results soon.

(Now where did I put my magnifying glass to see the tiny print on the configuration software screens...my only complaint)
Sep 21, 2018, 12:09 PM
ARS N40VI - I've Got GAS
Well, so much for that ray of hope... still no workie. Kinda confused on the changes needed (if there really are any) to the Mission Planner parameters the way they're written in the Ardupilot / PX4 APM Guide referenced above. That's probably where the issue lies.

All I'm getting that makes sense is the callsign being in the right place and what appears to be the artificial horizon...but even that is messed up...a bunch of c's instead of dots and flashing junk all over the screen.

I know how to read, followed all the instructions included in the quick start guide and the Ardupilot / PX4 APM Guide above, but still can't get it to operate properly. Hopefully someone can help me figure this thing out.

I'm getting so tired of the MinimOSD not working, and being more of a PITA than it's worth. Something has to give pretty soon.
Sep 24, 2018, 07:47 AM
SILURIA / UK
Thread OP
Been a way for a weeks hol so if not already sorted...

1 characters strange - eg Horizon messed up - "c" instead of "."
OSD probably has fonts installed for different osd -

faq # 14 I get garbage characters and / or font upload doesn't work.

Sounds like fonts need to be re-uploaded - but note:
  • For some of the original minim boards, the output stage (max chip) MUST be powered when uploading font. How depends upon your board / configuration
  • A programming voltage of 4.8v or higher is required.
  • Note some programmers have 3.3v/5v selection text swapped. Verify with a meter
  • Some stacked boards with USB connector also require vbat connected which powers the MAX chip and enables font upload

2 Setup of ardupilot ( I assume that is what you are running?)
If using latest 1.9 it will try to auto configure.
Also note - tx of pixhawk goes to rx of OSD. rx of Pixhawk goes to tx of OSD. Catches a lot out!
Sep 24, 2018, 09:10 AM
ARS N40VI - I've Got GAS
Just for grins, after having give up on the darned thing, I tried again. Flashed it, loaded the default character set, configured the 3 screens, and wrote the data to the MinimOSD... I did absolutely nothing different from the 30 or so other times I've tried getting it to work. Guess what... IT WORKED!!!

How ironic is it that all of a sudden the software and hardware worked once you got back on here.... I think I smell a fish......
Sep 25, 2018, 10:39 AM
SILURIA / UK
Thread OP
It is the bug fish – it’s designed to see how it can push you before you give up or smash something! I have encountered it many times… ��

It’s great you are working. That’s all that matters.
Sep 25, 2018, 12:08 PM
ARS N40VI - I've Got GAS
It's working fine, but I'm BALD now!
Oct 04, 2018, 02:55 AM

COM port communication problem in LibrePilot

Hello guys,

so far I was using minOPOSD but would like to try MWOSD.

Have uploaded MW_OSD_Micro_minimosd_1_6_8.hex firmware

(from https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wik...rsion=1&api=v2)

into micro minimOSD with ConfigTool via ComBridge mode of CC3D Revolution FC. Hence COM port communication looks good. Then start MW_OSD_GUI.bat from MW_OSD_GUI_168.zip

(from https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wik...rsion=1&api=v2).

But after opening COM port I see blinking TX and RX in upper left corner for a couple of seconds and then GUI hangs and cmd window says about checksum error in a byte. Same is with Chrome browser plug-in MWOSD 1.6 Free. Connect with baud rate 115200. What could be wrong?

I know that there are newer versions of firmware and MWOSD GUI but would like to assess the project on free version first.

Thanks.
Oct 05, 2018, 01:20 AM
Have tried to use FTDI for communication with micro minimOSD and it works flawlessly. But can not get an OSD picture I want. There are no GPS information and analog RSSI is just zero. And placement of elements is not as GUI displays.
Last edited by vladG; Oct 05, 2018 at 02:16 AM.
Oct 05, 2018, 03:33 AM
SILURIA / UK
Thread OP
Mmm That’s quite an old version. Been over 2.5 years since I used it!.
If writing the changes and not seeing on OSD I would be inclined to check the layout box in top right hand corner of GUI. To make sure the layout being written is to the correct high/mid/low.

There is also an updated version of the free 1.6 gui available here:
https://github.com/ShikOfTheRa/scara...ter/MW_OSD_GUI

However as that is still quite old. As there have been a hell of a lot of changes, improvements and bugfixes, if you can afford 2-3 dollars I would have to recommend getting latest version of the GUI which will support 1.9 of the MWOSD.
Oct 05, 2018, 04:09 AM
Thank you, Shikra,

have found some mistakes I made.

Of cause I'll upgrade to latest. Just have checked basic functions work and there are no hardware incompatibilities with my setup.
Oct 05, 2018, 05:03 AM
A question.
Do I need also newer MicroMinimOSD firmware for the latest MWOSD GUI ?

Is this what I need?

https://github.com/ShikOfTheRa/scara...librepilot.hex
Last edited by vladG; Oct 05, 2018 at 05:21 AM.
Oct 05, 2018, 02:47 PM
SILURIA / UK
Thread OP
In latest version you can flash directly from gui.

librepilot is include for minim hardware.

I have not used so I am not 100% sure how well it supports librepilot but I have had no reports of any issues
Oct 05, 2018, 03:00 PM
Just got R1.9.0 Configurator version and is playing with it. But can not find how to run MSP emulator. Can't find it in User guide 1.9 also. Could you direct me pls.
Last edited by vladG; Oct 06, 2018 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply