Sep 10, 2018, 01:17 PM
Standard Class
Thread OP
Question

Monokote Trim Solvent

Question:
What would work best as an alternative, with Monokote Trim Solvent no longer available ?

thank you
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2018, 02:56 PM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Try acetone.
Sep 10, 2018, 03:32 PM
Windex works great.
Sep 10, 2018, 05:50 PM
I used Monotone trim solvent for applying some trim to a model a few years ago, it was very hard to get neat looking results with it, plus it smells absolutely terrible. Very messy and difficult to work with. I used trim solvent for a few small sections, then switched to the windex method. The windex method works great to hold the trim pieces in place without bubbles, but you still have to iron it down afterwards.
Sep 11, 2018, 12:33 AM
Smells no worse than typical acetone/lacquer type thinners, much better smelling than a sewerage plant and is used in small quantities. I have sprayed many gallons of lacquer based products over the years including doping full size airplanes so that type of odor is not a big deal to me.

First chance I get I'll try lacquer thinner, dope thinner, dope retarder and xylene and see if any of those work in place of the Monokote solvent. Fortunately I bought a couple of bottles before the Hobbico bankruptcy. It would be nice to find a solvent that works well with ChinaKote too.
Sep 11, 2018, 06:22 PM
Build Fly Crash - Start Again!
Someone mentioned MEK available at a paint store. I used it recently on a test piece. It sticks the monokote together like CA to wood.
I also tested it with one edge onto wood. Again stuck like glue after drying.
I use a full respirator for organic solvents and ventilated room.
I needed to rebuild a wing that had stickers on it. This MEK will help with the recovery effort.
Sep 13, 2018, 09:53 AM
Gravity sucks.
MTS is essentially MEK, Methylethylkeytone, available from any hardware or home supply store....
Sep 13, 2018, 10:05 AM
I haven't been around MEK since I was in the Navy in the 70's. Airframes shop used it during paint work. I was in power plants and after getting a whiff of the brain melting fumes a few times I was glad we didn't use it on engines. Instant headache!

I still have a few bottles of the Monokote trim solvent. Of everything I've ever smelled in my life I have to rank this stuff up there near the very top! Yuck! I've used Windex several times and it seems to do OK. I may grab a small can of MEK next time I go to Lowes or Homie D. It's always good to try different ideas. I'll try it outside with my good mask on though.

Joe
Sep 14, 2018, 10:06 PM
I used it again on a model I was rebuilding. Held the monokote in place. Monokote on monokote you can't tell that there is anything different. On balsa you can tell something is off. The MEK activates the glue and therefore the colour quite quickly, there is mono margin for error, no moving the piece.
Sep 15, 2018, 11:09 PM
Gravity sucks.
Its not really meant for applying over balsa, more for trim of Monokote over Monokote.
Sep 16, 2018, 07:52 AM
Yep I would agree based on my experimenting.

Quick Reply